Tonto National Forest to hold public meetings beginning Jan. 8; comment period ends March 12, 2020
PHOENIX -- Outdoor recreationists are advised that the Tonto National Forest on Dec. 13 released a draft land management plan (draft forest plan) and draft environmental impact statement for public review and comment.
According to a news release from the Forest, the draft plan reflects changes in social, economic and ecological conditions since the current plan was approved in 1985. It outlines the strategic management for 2.9 million acres of national forest for the next 10 to 15 years.
The Tonto National Forest will hold a series of public meetings to discuss the draft forest plan and draft environmental impact statement and provide opportunities for comment. Maps and other planning materials will be available for review and planning team members will be present to answer questions.
Evening open house public meetings:
- Jan. 8, 2020, 5-8 p.m. - Mesa, Franklin Junior High School
- Jan. 9, 5-8 p.m., Payson, Julia Randall Elementary School
- Jan. 22, 5-8 p.m., Payson, Julia Randall Elementary School
- Jan. 23, 5-8 p.m., Superior, Superior Junior/Senior High School
- Feb. 5, 5-8 p.m., Cave Creek, Desert Foothills Library
- Feb. 6, 5-8 p.m., Globe, High Desert Middle School
Public working days at Tonto National Forest offices:
- Jan. 8, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Globe, Globe Ranger District Office
- Jan. 10, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., Cave Creek, Cave Creek District Office
- Jan. 16, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.,Phoenix, Tonto National Forest Supervisors Office
- Jan 22, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Tonto Basin, Tonto Basin Ranger District Office
- Jan. 23, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Mesa, Mesa Ranger District Office
- Jan. 30, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Payson, Payson Ranger District Office
All-day technical partner meetings:
- Jan. 29, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Phoenix, 24th Street Conference Center
- Feb. 25, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Phoenix, location to be determined.
Written and electronic comments will be accepted during the comment period, which ends March 12, 2020. The draft forest plan, draft environmental impact statement, frequently asked questions, how to comment guide, and additional details about the public meetings are available at http://www.fs.usda.gov/goto/tontoplan.