4x4Wire Live Search

Search - Easy Blog
Search - Categories
Search - Contacts
Search - Content
Search - News Feeds
Search - Web Links
Search - EasyDiscuss
Search - Tags

Recreation Advocate

The OutdoorWire family websites feature news and information affecting outdoor recreation opportunities and access to public lands. 
1 minute reading time (217 words)

MN Nonresidents must have ATV trail passes starting Jan. 1

(Released December 28, 2009)

All-terrain vehicle (ATV) operators who are not Minnesota residents must possess a trail pass when driving on state or grant-in-aid trails beginning Jan. 1, when a new state law takes effect. The trail pass does not need to be displayed on the machine, but must be available for inspection when requested by an officer. The pass is required whether the machine is registered in Minnesota or another state.

Nonresidents do not need a pass if operating on a portion of an ATV trail that is owned by the person or the person’s spouse, child, or parent.

ATV operators can purchase one-year nonresident ATV trail passes ($21 new, $2.50 duplicate) through Minnesota’s Electronic License System (ELS). Nonresident passes can be purchased any of three ways:

  • Online go to file:///D:/DNR%20NEWS%202009/www.mndnr.gov and click on “buy a license.”
  • By phone, call 888-665-4236 (1-MN-LICENSE) any time of day or night, seven days a week. All trail pass purchases can only be made by credit card. There is $3.50 convenience fee per transaction.
  • In person at nearly 1,800 ELS locations around the state. To find locations, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/agents.html or call the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 1-888-646-6367.

More than 15 trails and riding areas are open for winter use in Minnesota. Find maps and other information at www.findthetrails.com.

Garmin Introduces Updated Models and Features
New Year 2010


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Saturday, 15 June 2019
If you'd like to register, please fill in the username, password and name fields.

Captcha Image

OutdoorWire Websites



Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More


California OHV recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about outdoor recreation Read More


Off road recreation and news and information Read More

TrailTalk Forums

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for 4x4 tech information Read More
  • 1

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire Read More
Toyota 4x4 Tech

Toyota 4x4 Tech

Toyota Tech from 4x4Wire Read More
Mitsubishi 4x4 Tech

Mitsubishi 4x4 Tech

Mitsubishi Tech from 4x4Wire Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire Read More
  • 1