Do I need a pass or permit to be camping and driving around in the mountain areas?

The only permits needed are that State Trust Land permit we used to get, but only on about ten miles worth of the Table Mesa trail (blow that permit off; what are the odds...right?) and a Tonto National Forest pass if you're doing any parking in that territory, but I don't think we're headed to there.

So, basically, no. If permits are required for most places, it'll be posted.

Oh yeah, some places around Sedona require one, too. I just so happen to avoid the area, generally.

John B.