This is my first full rebuild. I've freshened up 2 other gen 1s. I do get most of my parts from rock auto. I live on a border town and before COVID, I could ship to just across the border and drive to pick up for cheap.
my donor engine had 170k on it. all journals were within spec, so no oversized needed. I bought the rering kit from rock auto and various other parts. not the complete kit as I didnt change the pistons. the rings I also bought at stock sizing. hardest part was putting in new balance shaft bearings, a very steady hand and 90 bucks worth of messed up bearings later.....
I debated doing the balance shaft delete but after much research here I've decided it was best to leave stock.I was leary because I'm sure a slipped silent shaft chain is what took out my last engine.

also splashed out of a weber carb kit. kinda expensive on the north side of the border but I'm eager to throw out all my vacuum lines.

let me know how yours goes

Sheldon

Love the raider, hate the raider, love the raider,.....
new: '88 Montero, auto, LSD 2.6L
'87 Raider, 2.6L(#2), 5spd, Dual batt., Xterra roofrack......soon off to the wreckers