as prevously mentioned, i often run alone. sometimes i would explore a trail and reach a point where i'm sure i could proceed, but if i had to come back that way i might not be able to get up something or...... so i thought a winch would be handy.
i got a smittybilt xrc8(8000#) and proceeded to mount it.
i wanted to put it a little higher and in more than other installs i have seen.
first thing was to remove some bodywork that was in the way.
[Linked Image]
then start welding a support/mount.
[Linked Image]
added some bracing off the frame and that tube thing between the chassis rails, and fit the winch a few inches in front of the radiator.
[Linked Image]
i cut up the bumper and cover and made that fit, modified the grill to fit, and oh yea, note the skid plate- i made that well before- it works well. used to be an electrical panel door.
fairlead bracket came out well.
[Linked Image]
i mounted the solenoid box under the hood and put the winch control plug socket in the cab.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
i mounted a second battery behind the seat, installed a battery switch, powerpost and volt meter(prev. pic.).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
i lost one of the bumper cover halves on a stump, so i dumped the other one. still functional enough for me, although i liked the way it looked.
i have used the winch a couple of times(recovered a jeep from the river once)and it didn't rip off, so i guess my welding is ok.
that pelican case holds my navigation gear(laptop w/gps).
mabe more later.......

Last edited by rascott; 03/31/10 04:25 PM.

'89 kick w/some modifications.
some intentional.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.
kj6esv