Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Carb Question
by 87Raider. 02/24/18 04:46 AM
Gen1-- My left knee opens windows
by JAVYPRO. 02/23/18 05:54 PM
1990 LWB rear cam plugs
by Idahomitsu. 02/22/18 05:10 AM
'88 Raider maintenance and modifications
by 0778drz110. 02/17/18 02:58 AM
Suspension been fitted now with photos
by 4runnernomore. 02/16/18 10:48 AM
6g72 SOHC - Blowing Head Gaskets - Why?
by rxinhed. 02/16/18 01:35 AM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Gen1 montero ls relay behind driver side headlight
by Idahomitsu. 02/22/18 04:52 AM
6g72 SOHC - Blowing Head Gaskets - Why?
by tdf46. 02/14/18 07:56 PM
95 SR Plenum Fix for $70
by PTaylor525. 02/14/18 05:31 PM
4DR50 Diesel motor
by soclair. 02/14/18 05:19 PM
Gen1-- My left knee opens windows
by Bluuplanet. 02/13/18 07:49 AM
95 SR Intake Plenum
by PTaylor525. 02/08/18 03:54 AM
4x4 Gallery
Flex test after suspension mods
Clearance check!
Testing the new Kenda Klever 31x10.50x15
My '88
4x4Wire YJ
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics137,793
Posts1,079,276
Members14,729
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1014498 - 12/06/10 01:16 AM Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking  
89PU  Offline
Getting the Wheeling Fever
89 pu 22re, 175k, all original internals except for TC replaced 30k ago w/ EB kit.

Twice this week the throttle stuck open in between shifts and sent the tach to 6500 before I could kill it. The throttle return spring seems ok and the stuck condition cannot be reproduced at will. I suspect the stuck throttle is a bad cable so will try replacing that. The cable is original. The casing is worn a bit near the evap canister and at another point towards the rear of the valve cover. I am located in NH and it's getting cold here. I also suspect the onset of cold weather has exposed a problem with a marginal throttle cable.

The last over-rev instance resulted in what appeared to be a cylinder miss and a valve knock. After idling for a minute the knock and miss went away. I let it cool down then went on a test drive and the engine seems to be ok. Normal power and no abnormal noises.

I suspect the valves floated and one got stuck open temporarily. Does this sound plausible or could some more severe problem be lying in wait?

From the Off-Road World

#1014499 - 12/06/10 08:38 PM Re: Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking [Re: 89PU]  
89PU  Offline
Just happened again after accelerating away from a stoplight. This time I shut it down before it got above redline so no physical damage done. The over-rev happens at random and without apparent cause. There is no time to react other than kill the ignition. By the time the engine is restarted it's back to normal.

This is hard to explain, but the engine doesn't feel 'right' for a few seconds seconds after recovery. It's like there is a slight miss but then all is fine.

I am wondering if perhaps a sensor is messing up. Is it theoretically possible for a malfunctioning (e.g.) tps to direct ecu to send enough fuel to rev out the engine? Or, must the throttle plate be physically open for sufficient air to enter the intake? I'm thinking the throttle plate must be open but on the other hand with the clutch in, a super-rich condition might be tolerable.

#1014500 - 12/09/10 07:38 PM Re: Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking [Re: 89PU]  
89PU  Offline
New throttle cable ($80 - ouch!) installed and so far so good. The old cable does not show any signs of binding or sticking. But, the old cable's case is worn through to the steel jacket in several spots. The engine continues to run fine so maybe I dodged one.

#1014501 - 12/11/10 06:40 PM Re: Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking [Re: 89PU]  
toyrunner  Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Pasadena, CA. USA
Clean the throttle body and inspect the throttle shaft for binding(when engine is off).
Those cables do tend to randomly stick.
I use a toothbrush to clean the throttle plate and deep inside the body. You will notice an improvement.

Last edited by toyrunner; 12/11/10 06:41 PM.

1985 SR5 4Runner
eLocked with Carter Lock
4.7:1 single case
Davez Offroad twin stick

#1014502 - 12/12/10 03:03 PM Re: Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking [Re: 89PU]  
engnbldr  Offline
Roll Me Over
1800 acre island at the Oregon... *****
New throttle cable ($80 - ouch!) installed and so far so good. The old cable does not show any signs of binding or sticking. But, the old cable's case is worn through to the steel jacket in several spots. The engine continues to run fine so maybe I dodged one.

>>>*If the knocking sound continues, then a cylinder leakdown test is in order. At 6500 RPM under load I would not worry too much with the 22RE, they will typically take that for brief periods. Running free is a different thing entirely.

Free running over rev situations normally affect the valve train, at 6500 RPM you would either be in or very near to a valve float situation. This can result in a valve bumping a piston, which might mean slightly bent.

Rough running after could just be excess fuel in the system that takes a few seconds to clear out, but it could also be the system hunting around to find it's own best operating point.

Note excess fuel will cause the computer to "hunt" for a period, this can cause a piston to tap until she settles down.

*I remember a smallblock we were testing once. Dual carbs, 13 to one, around 640 ponies. We threw her to full pull and the return springs popped loose and went flying.

Open headers inside a steel shop, tattletale tach went pegged and would not go any higher. Let's just say we all needed new undies before we got the coil wire yanked....*LOL**....*EB

*Beats the he** outa me!....*LOL**...

#1014503 - 12/13/10 01:33 AM Re: Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking [Re: engnbldr]  
89PU  Offline
Thanks for the followups. I'm gonna keep an eye on it and see what happens. Been driving it some more and it seems fine. Rev limiter seems like a good idea now.

#1014504 - 12/19/10 05:30 PM Re: Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking [Re: 89PU]  
89PU  Offline
Week plus into it and no stuck throttle or abnormal engine noises despite temps into the teens, so I guess the new cable fixed it.

Couple other fixes went in around the same time. Had the temperature gauge over-shoot problem for last 1.5 years. This issue developed after a new radiator was installed. Was running a oem toyota thermostat that worked perfectly before the new rad went in. Based on forum search, there seems to be a relationship between cooling system servicing and this overshoot problem developing, but I don't know what it is. The two-stage thermostat ($40) fixed it.

The next fix was to the shifter seat bushing, replaced with Marlin parts. Shifts like new now whereas before the fix 3rd and 4th were grind city, and 5th would pop right out. Unfortunately, disassembling the shifter required 1.5 hrs of professional mechanic labor. The old rubber bushing disintegrated and prevented the lock ring from pushing down far enough to be removed.

In the end, a few relatively simple and inexpensive fixes allow me to keep my truck on the road for the foreseeable future. This forum is a great resource.

#1014505 - 03/07/11 10:08 PM Re: Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking [Re: 89PU]  
89PU  Offline
Update: no issues since new throttle cable was installed until today. Feels like the butterfly is getting stuck because the pedal springs back but the feel of the pedal indicates there's no resistance from the throttle plate spring.

This time she spun to 6500 and knocked for a bit after it came back down. There is also an occasional miss at load that wasn't there before, but I think that may be related to dampness since there was a lot of heavy rain the last couple days.

I probably won't get to fixing anything for a while but will post back when and if I find anything.

#1014506 - 03/07/11 10:26 PM Re: Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking [Re: 89PU]  
4Crawler  Offline

Web Wheeler
N. California. USA *****
Might be the old return spring is a little stretched out/weak. I have the earlier style 22RE throttle linkage and I put on a stiffer return spring:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I picked up the spring at the local hardware store, took the old one to the store and found one a little stiffer and about the same length. Has worked well, makes for a little more pedal pressure and that works well off road, where I don't get the surging throttle as you crest bumps making your foot push down on gas pedal.

#1014507 - 03/09/11 03:49 AM Re: Stuck Throttle Over-rev Led to Knocking [Re: 4Crawler]  
89PU  Offline
I don't think my engine (89 22re) has the additional linkage shown in the photos. I'll double-check it tomorrow to be sure.

I'm starting to suspect the last trip to the red caused some valvetrain damage. There is what sounds like a rocker arm knock around 1500 rpm. If it was a bent valve, would the noise be consistent at all times? This noise seems to come and go. Definitely, it was there right after coming down from 6.5k. On a cold start though, no noise. I think I need to drive it some more to get a better sense of things.

Interestingly, the stuck throttle started when the weather got cold, was file all winter, and started again when the weather warmed up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  4Crawler, kewlynx 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Page Time: 0.012s Queries: 16 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8631 MB (Peak: 1.0014 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2018-02-25 23:31:58 UTC