Hi All,

Recently picked up a 1997 "Project" Sportage for the bargain basement price of $300AU. Its had a history of electrical problems relating to the wiring loom, and the previous owner ended up soldering a number of the connections directly to the sensors to try and solve some of the problems, but it didnt help. The car is now throwing so many error codes that we're just going to replace the loom. I have a friend who works for a Kia dealer in the service dept, so he's ordered the loom for me at cost price.

On its first outing it did a timing belt, the idler pulley seized after some water got in (see photos) and it snapped. Despite the ECU being underwater, the car actually kept running until after we got pulled out, and the timing belt didnt fail until it had been idling for a good 30 seconds out of the water. Now we're running again but with a number of error codes including:

Cranshaft Position Sensor
Phase Sensor
Oxy Sensor
Air conditioner error code

The phase sensor code was there before we sunk it, but the others were not. We've replaced the phase sensor and we're still getting the code, so at this point we're suspecting something dodgy is going on in the loom.

Here are the pics that I've got to date.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
*Note, those are the girlfriends slippers, not mine!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll post up another update once we receive the loom (its on backorder) and its fitted to see what error codes we get then.