Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Ford 9in 28 spline
by OldColt - 01/28/22 08:22 PM
monty build thread
by motero - 01/24/22 03:29 PM
Surging on acceleration.
by Trailmonkey - 01/23/22 10:11 PM
Reloading - My Observations
by 4x4Wire - 01/23/22 04:41 AM
Sad day for my wife Gen III
by rxinhed - 01/23/22 02:57 AM
Water temperature sensor
by Trailmonkey - 01/15/22 03:58 PM
98 Monty Purchase?? Tranny problem question.
by rxinhed - 01/03/22 12:01 AM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Ford 9in 28 spline
by Trailmonkey - 01/28/22 03:07 PM
Reloading - My Observations
by 4x4Wire - 01/20/22 10:34 PM
Water temperature sensor
by Trailmonkey - 01/15/22 03:58 PM
98 Monty Purchase?? Tranny problem question.
by FireDude - 12/29/21 01:26 PM
Happy Holidays
by rxinhed - 12/24/21 12:52 AM
Sad day for my wife Gen III
by JAVYPRO - 12/04/21 04:30 PM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 106 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,257
Posts1,081,623
Members15,240
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) #1057964 03/22/13 01:07 AM
red1987raider Offline OP
Wheeler
It took a couple of years, a lot of sweat, a lot of hammered thumbs, lost bolts, junkyard visits, and pleas for help, but it's finally done, done, done. I have a diesel Dodge Raider with a 4D56T engine humming away. Pictures are below. But let me say a few words by way of preamble. I got my engine on eBay. It was brand new, built in 1995 I was told. Long block, but without accessories: no pulleys, no starter, no alternator, etc. Not even a dipstick or oil filler cap. I had to track all of these down, from the U.S., Canada and U.K. Made a LOT of mistakes along the way, real trial-and-error stuff. Actually tried to use Dodge Raider starter, but when I found myself bending the oil dipstick tube, it occurred to me that the starter wouldn't work, so I got a starter from an old Dodge D50 and it fit like a glove. Problem: it wouldn't engage the flywheel, so I had to get a flywheel from a Dodge D50. It worked, but it was a bear having to pull the transmission again to swap out the flywheels. Took a long time to figure out the tach. I kept the stock Raider tach, bought a Dakota Digital interface, but the tach wouldn't pick up a signal from the injector pump. So I got a different Dakota Digital interface and had a W terminal installed on the alternator (also from a Dodge D50). It worked. Got only one bad piece of advice from somebody: told me to install an electric fuel pump on frame. I did so, but it's NOT NECESSARY. Learned the hard way that the injector pump is all I need to suck the fuel out of the tank. Now I'm on the road, but the mileage sucks: 15 mpg. I need to take the rig to a performance diesel shop and have them put it on the dyno. Also, I never figured out how to time the injector pump, so that may be part of the problem. But the thing doesn't smoke and the engine runs smooth. Installed a 2.5" straight pipe with no muffler and have that cool diesel sound. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a mechanic, I'm a biologist, which is no doubt why the project took 2 years. but I'm happy with what I have and look forward to achieving full hp and torque once the rig is out of the diesel shop. So that's it. I'd like to thank everybody on this forum who helped me along the way with advice, parts, and encouragement, especially LandRaider, whose patience with me was infinite. Also a non-member, Ethan, who did this conversion as well and was always available to answer my questions. And now, on to the photos…

1. The Gas Engine Comes Out
[Linked Image]

2.The Empty Bay
[Linked Image]

3. The 4D56T, with Shogun fan I got from breakeryard in UK
[Linked Image]

4. In She Goes...
[Linked Image]

5. Still Headed In...
[Linked Image]

6. Engine in her New Home
[Linked Image]

7. View of Installation with Dakota Digital on Right Firewall
[Linked Image]

8. Dakota Digital Interface Works Like a Charm
[Linked Image]

9. Newly Badged Diesel Raider!
[Linked Image]

Please ask if you have any questions!

1987 Dodge Raider converted to 4D56T
Re: Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) [Re: red1987raider] #1057965 03/22/13 02:51 AM
rxinhed Offline
Trail Leader
Looks great! Definitely thought food for my Raider, also red.

Is there sticker shock?

Re: Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) [Re: rxinhed] #1057966 03/22/13 03:56 AM
red1987raider Offline OP
Wheeler
Hey there. I think you were one of the people who helped me out. I believe I bought a transfer case shield from you. Thanks! As for sticker shock, I was afraid to keep detailed track of everything. The engine was the biggest expense, but still, by engine standards, reasonable. About $1600 plus $500 shipping. Almost everything else was used: alternator, starter, flywheel, power steering pump… all reasonably priced from junkyards. The turbo and injector pump were pricey, even though used. I got them from a guy in Washington state who calls himself Dieselhead. He buys parts in southeast Asia and brings them over. I don't have a lot of cash, so I paid as I went along, buying parts one at a time. I tried to keep things as simple as possible. For example, I opted for the mechanical pump instead of the computer jobbie. Now that the project is done, I like the looks of what's under my hood — it's a cleaner, more spacious situation than the gasser. The only thing I'd still like to add is an intercooler — I'm getting one for free off a Saab. So I'd say go for it.

Re: Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) [Re: red1987raider] #1057967 03/22/13 05:18 AM
torquemonster Offline
Body Damage is Cool
that must be the Hyundai version of the 4D56T, valve cover and timing cover look totally different than what I had on my old 1991 Pajero. But Congrats on the long project finally paying off.

I'd say your timing is probably WAY off, I'm amazed you got it running half decent without doing any sort of timing to it at all haha.

I have been looking for a 4D56 to swap into my little D50 for a few years now and can't seem to find one that isn't at least $3000 used.

Re: Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) [Re: torquemonster] #1057968 03/22/13 01:01 PM
red1987raider Offline OP
Wheeler
Yes, you're right, it is a Hyundai engine, and the rocker cover is stamped "Kia." As I said in my post, it's a 1995 engine, but I don't know which vehicle it was standard in. Do you? Someone said the Delica. In any case, you're right about the timing - I need to have it looked at. I did set the timing as best I could with the timing cover off, and I adjusted the injector pump by loosening the bolts and rotating it until she stopped smoking; but I really need to have a pro look at it. As far as getting one of these engines for yourself, the person I bought it from on eBay said at the time (a few years back) that he had quite a few of them on hand. His name was Haylee and his email was [email]haylezaic@xtra.co.nz.[/email] He treated me fairly and was very good with communication. Best of luck. Oh, one more thing: I'm looking for a diesel fuel filler from a D50. Just the short metal neck is all I need. I did widen the Raider's filler neck, but it would be nice to have the real thing. I noticed that you're up in Canada. If you run into one, I'd be happy to buy it from you. Thanks.

Re: Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) [Re: red1987raider] #1057969 03/22/13 03:16 PM
torquemonster Offline
Body Damage is Cool
as far as I know the filler neck is the same as the gas trucks, just with the guts removed. I know the filler cap is identical. The Diesels are not easy to find here either!

The Hyundai Galloper was a Pajero knockoff with mismatched parts and pieces from GEN I's and GEN II's all bolted together. The fact you have a KIA version of the engine is new to me, not sure what KIA built overseas.

Re: Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) [Re: red1987raider] #1057970 03/22/13 04:30 PM
TOASTY Offline
Trail Leader
What problems did you run into with having the electric fuel pump installed in line? This was recommended to me as well, I'm running a low psi pump as a lift pump so that in theory the injecton pump doesn't have to work as hard.

1999 Montero SAS'd on Kings and stuff

1998 Montero trying to get a V8 Swapped
Re: Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) [Re: TOASTY] #1057971 03/22/13 06:38 PM
LandRaider Offline
Forum Moderator
Glad you're up and running!

My truck came with a low pressure lift pump installed back by the tank. I think Mainly to help with bleeding the system if one ever ran it out of fuel. I don't think it's necessary but have no desire to try without it. Post up some more pics!! It looks really nice. What'd you do for an air filter? It looks like you've got a factory diesel airbox!! I like!

87 Raider 4D56td v5MT1
31's..Basically Stock
Re: Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) [Re: red1987raider] #1057972 03/23/13 01:14 AM
PHIL_ Offline
Trail Leader
Looks great! Been watching your progress, and I'm happy you finally have it going. The badge on the front is the icing on the cake! Your eventual intercooler should really wake it up. What are you running for boost right now? Maybe I missed it, but did you use the stock rad?

It does take some getting used to, seeing the diesel boosting almost all the time at highway speeds... Definitely uses a turbo differently than a gasser does!

Keep us posted!

1991 HZJ77, 1999 KZJ90, 1999 UZJ100, 1992 M101CDN2
https://www.thegearheadproject.com/category/jdm-journeys/

Re: Raider to Diesel Conversion - DONE!! (With photos) [Re: TOASTY] #1057973 03/23/13 02:27 AM
red1987raider Offline OP
Wheeler
That's very interesting, Toasty. The advice I got was to not fit an electric pump as this can damage the front seal in the injector pump. But if you haven't had any problems I wouldn't quarrel with success.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.