Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
'88 Raider maintenance and modifications
by 0778drz110. 02/17/18 02:58 AM
Suspension been fitted now with photos
by 4runnernomore. 02/16/18 10:48 AM
6g72 SOHC - Blowing Head Gaskets - Why?
by rxinhed. 02/16/18 01:35 AM
Here's a shot...
by 0778drz110. 02/15/18 03:21 AM
95 SR Intake Plenum
by rxinhed. 02/15/18 03:14 AM
Gen1-- My left knee opens windows
by rxinhed. 02/15/18 03:08 AM
95 SR Plenum Fix for $70
by PTaylor525. 02/14/18 05:36 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
6g72 SOHC - Blowing Head Gaskets - Why?
by tdf46. 02/14/18 07:56 PM
95 SR Plenum Fix for $70
by PTaylor525. 02/14/18 05:31 PM
4DR50 Diesel motor
by soclair. 02/14/18 05:19 PM
Gen1-- My left knee opens windows
by Bluuplanet. 02/13/18 07:49 AM
95 SR Intake Plenum
by PTaylor525. 02/08/18 03:54 AM
Here's a shot...
by dadrab. 02/07/18 02:34 PM
4x4 Gallery
Flex test after suspension mods
Clearance check!
Testing the new Kenda Klever 31x10.50x15
My '88
4x4Wire YJ
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 188 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics137,791
Posts1,079,269
Members14,729
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1101915 - 08/19/16 08:48 AM Re: EXTRACTOR'S WILDCAT [Re: Kiamad]  
4runnernomore  Offline
Mudrunner
Darwin Australia
Desmond,

Pm sent. cool

Been a busy work period and had a minor issue with the Sporty.

My young fella was out driving and was pulled over by the local constabulary. They defected the sporty for no front bumper and tyres sticking out. mad He wasn't doing anything wrong which is even more frustrating.

Defect is off crazy had to go over the pits. frown I now have to go through the engineering process here in the NT Australia. blush It is called TAC. it will need to be completed before my rego is due again next April.

Have a few things to get checked off. Need to get the welding signed off where they fabricated the mounts to bolt up the bullbar.

I just make it in overall height. The sporty sits at a lofty 143 mm over standard height. 150mm is the absolute max in Australia. In the NT anything over 100mm requires TAC approval. Most other states it is 50mm before engineering is required.
They checked my front window tint. All good I presume as no mention of that. Brakes were fine etc.

Check list I presume will be:
Body lift
Suspension
Chassis mounts for front bar
Front forks
Tyres and wheels
Speedo ( it is accurate with e gearing change).

I have the bullbar fitted and finally fitted up my Flairs that I have had for a few years. Fitted up some Sr5 hilux mudflaps for the rear to cover the tyres which spoils the look in my opinion and ensuring it was no higher than 30cm from the ground (legal standard here in Oz) but I guess that is was attracted the popo in the first place with the originals on and the tyres exposed.

Funnily my oldest son drive around in the car the way it was for 18 months and never got pulled up (admittedly he had a front bumper on). I put it down to the the P plate my son had displayed on the back. My oldest son ran a PPlate in the back window and you couldn't see it very well where my youngest has a metallic one displayed on the back hatch wich really stands out against the dark blue.

Also kick myself for not been more proactive in getting the bullbar fitted quicker.

Will get a pick up soon of the new look. smile

Have to start filling in the TAC approval paperwork and get it sent off the NT Motoring organisation board to assess my application and give it there blessing hopefully😱

Cheers, Chris 🍻

Last edited by 4runnernomore; 08/19/16 08:52 AM.

97 Sporty, snorkel, K&N filter, 98 power chip, ext forks, 40mm Dobinson Springs, KYB struts, 35mm Jeep TJ Dobinson Springs, RAV 4 OME shocks, Kaiser Flocker 5.38 R&P's, 1&3/8 body lift, 245/75 R16 D674's Sports steering wheel, bullbar, Fully Engineered

Support our sponsors

#1102040 - 09/09/16 02:03 AM Re: Suspension been fitted [Re: fokion]  
lipauto  Offline
Need a Spot
KOREA
Hi,
If you need 5.38 set & 50mm front long fork,
Please contact us anytime.
- email : picorp@hanmail.net
- whatsapp : 82-10-4717-6868

Thanks.
Michael.

#1102273 - 10/15/16 08:27 AM aircon issues [Re: lipauto]  
4runnernomore  Offline
Mudrunner
Darwin Australia
Well the little sporty has been performing learner driver duties again, this time for my nephew with my wife supervising. I do not know how that clutch is still holding in there. crazy

The aircon stopped working the other week. Dropped it off yesterday thinking the gas had leaked out again and that I had a leak in the system after I had fitted the body lift and mucked around a bit with the aircon piping during the fit up. I thought I might have cracked a pipe near the filter housing at the front of the car whilst the body was lifted off the chassis. eek

Got the bad news sick Turns out the head on the condenser unit had blown. During the testing the guys saw that the main engine fan was not locking up and they could stop it fairly easy whilst it was running. Lucky I had recently replaced the rest of the cooling system s no engine overheating damage cool

Any way a new condenser has been sourced and on its way to Darwin, the evaporater is going to cop a good clean out the best they can without pulling the dash apart and the guys are going to fix the clutch fan.

They are going to to use a couple of tubes of the Toyota silicon into the clutch hub. Hopefully this will fix it like new again. wink a common fix over hear in Australia to add additional Toyota silicon into clutch fans to allow it to lock up better.

Last edited by 4runnernomore; 10/15/16 10:53 AM.

97 Sporty, snorkel, K&N filter, 98 power chip, ext forks, 40mm Dobinson Springs, KYB struts, 35mm Jeep TJ Dobinson Springs, RAV 4 OME shocks, Kaiser Flocker 5.38 R&P's, 1&3/8 body lift, 245/75 R16 D674's Sports steering wheel, bullbar, Fully Engineered

#1102274 - 10/15/16 10:47 AM Transfer case lever mods. [Re: 4runnernomore]  
4runnernomore  Offline
Mudrunner
Darwin Australia
I wanted to fix my transfer case lever as it would not stay in 4high due too hitting the rear of the console,the boot rubber bunching up due to the lift pushing the lever forward, along with the leather gear lever cover contributing to the clearance issue. I did trim away some sound insulation foam making it a bit better.

Now I had not refitted my console properly since I had fitted the body lift. This would come back to bite me later. blush

I didn't want to modify the console so thought about it for quite a while. Decided to mod the lever by cutting and adding an S bend to raise the lever and bring it forward. Even before I lifted the body I always thought the transfer lever was to low.

I measured thrice whistle and then took it to the engineer workshop. Spoke to Nick the engineer / welder and gave him my measurements 30-35 mm up and 20-25 mm forward. Wish I could weld. frown

Nick did a fantastic job and the measurements were spot on 35 mm and 25 mm. He also was able to keep the boot rubber bush and not damage it with the welder heater wich allowed the rubber boots to be placed back over to allow some water proofing which was fantastic. End result was exactly what I imagined.

Fitted everything up . Bloody measurement was out mad only my self to blame. Won't engage low range now as the lever goes to far forward. Other wise the height for the transfer lever is perfect. By fitting the console properly I found another problem.

I now also need to put a slight bend forward at the bottom of my gearshift lever to stop it hitting the rear of the console or cut and shut to lift it 30-35 mm so the large body of the lever clears the console (that is what is hitting). Will post the photos when I finally put together my body lift post with steps and photos for future reference.

With the centre console not screwed in that allows enough movement for the main gearbox lever to operate properly without hitting anything but still cannot push forward enough with the transfer lever to lock in low range, sit at neutral.

So when I get a chance 'all head back to the Nicks and do some measuring up. Will post the results. wink

Cheers, Chris

Last edited by 4runnernomore; 10/15/16 10:49 AM.

#1102275 - 10/15/16 11:02 PM Re: Transfer case lever mods. [Re: 4runnernomore]  
rxinhed  Offline

Trail Leader
Gerber, CA *****
Any chance to turn the t-case lever 180 degrees? I've done this on Mitsubishi to solve clearance issues.

1988 Mighty Max turbo 2.6 service body
1980 Power Wagon W400
Sundry Mitsubishi Montero Gen 1 parts
Parts vehicles: 1980 D50 2wd, 1988 Mighty Max 4wd, 89 LS Montero 4-door, 2002 Sport AWD
For Sale: 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab

#1102296 - 10/18/16 10:37 PM Re: aircon issues [Re: 4runnernomore]  
4runnernomore  Offline
Mudrunner
Darwin Australia
Originally Posted by 4runnernomore
Well the little sporty has been performing learner driver duties again, this time for my nephew with my wife supervising. I do not know how that clutch is still holding in there. crazy

The aircon stopped working the other week. Dropped it off yesterday thinking the gas had leaked out again and that I had a leak in the system after I had fitted the body lift and mucked around a bit with the aircon piping during the fit up. I thought I might have cracked a pipe near the filter housing at the front of the car whilst the body was lifted off the chassis. eek
Got the bad news sick Turns out the head on the condenser unit had blown. During the testing the guys saw that the main engine fan was not locking up and they could stop it fairly easy whilst it was running. Lucky I had recently replaced the rest of the cooling system s no engine overheating damage cool

Any way a new condenser has been sourced and on its way to Darwin, the evaporater is going to cop a good clean out the best they can without pulling the dash apart and the guys are going to fix the clutch fan.

They are going to to use a couple of tubes of the Toyota silicon into the clutch hub. Hopefully this will fix it like new again. wink a common fix over hear in Australia to add additional Toyota silicon into clutch fans to allow it to lock up better.

Sporty is all fixed again. New condenser new dryer and a thorough clean of the evaporator. Couple tubes of Toyota silicon into the clutch fan and she is as good as new.

Car sound different now, you can really here the fan roaring when accelerating through the gears. Aircon is working great lovely and cold.

Cheers,

#1102867 - 01/27/17 01:48 PM Quick update gear shift fixed engineering underway [Re: 4runnernomore]  
4runnernomore  Offline
Mudrunner
Darwin Australia
Quick update! smile
Took the shifter levers back to Nick and he fixed them up for me.

We put a slight bend in the main gear lever and took out about 1/2 of the forward measurement so total forward on the transfer case lever is approx 15 mm or the width of the transfer case lever.

This time worked out perfect. wink No more hitting and I can select low and high range no problems at all. Best thing I didn't have to modify my centre console at all. I like the way the leather gators fit the way they are. cool

Forgot to take the bloody photos blush. Will have to get a couple next time I have the console apart again. Probably will be when I work out the fitting up of my extended breathers for the gearbox and transfer case.

I have started the engineering process, TAC application is submitted and approved in principle just before Christmas. I have engaged the services of an engineer. I love his business name Rustycan engineering laugh The motor authority want he extended forks tested. I have a second set on the way and will be providing one of those along with an original set of forks so the engineer can perform structural testing on both.

I have had a wheel alignment and bump steer test completed and they came up within spec so very happy about that. Just have to wait for the company to fix their machine so I can get a print out out with the bump steer measurements included to submit as evidence for the engineering process.

Last Thing will be the swerve test which I think will be fine as the sporty handles just as good if not better than standard height.

I a have to get a couple of good photos of the sporty with the bullbar fitted. I only have a couple of crappy phone shots which are not really clear. Will have to ask my sister in law as she takes great photos and will post up.

Getting closer. cool

Cheers, Chris wink

Last edited by 4runnernomore; 01/27/17 11:23 PM.

#1103094 - 02/25/17 07:18 AM ENGINEERING UNDERWAY [Re: 4runnernomore]  
4runnernomore  Offline
Mudrunner
Darwin Australia
Received the TAC approval in principle for my mods in December.

I have engaged the services of a MVR TAC approved engineer and completed the multiple lane change test today. grin we are still on all 4 wheels so it must be good wink I all seriousness the Sporty handled it quite well, went through the slalom quite flat and composed.

For those who don't know what the test is here is a UTUBE link to a lane change test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJl4yqvrPE. You enter the witches hats at 100km shocked

Also had the wheel alignment and bump steer measurements completed this morning. Two steps closer cool

Just need to wait on the reports for the engineer and tyre alignment company, forward them to the TAC committee. They will review and hopefully give it their blessing and then down to the registration authority for 100 % compliance smile

#1103234 - 03/24/17 12:06 PM Re: ENGINEERING CERTIFICATE ISSUED & TAC APPROVED [Re: 4runnernomore]  
4runnernomore  Offline
Mudrunner
Darwin Australia
WOOHOO,

TAC APPROVED.

Just needs the final MVR inspection. Won't be an issue seen as it has been through there twice in the last six months. Couple of small maintanence issue to fix and she is good to go back over the pits. Had a CV boot let go last week.

Have to post a couple of photos soon.

Cheers, Chris

Last edited by 4runnernomore; 03/24/17 12:12 PM.

#1103299 - 04/10/17 11:27 AM Re: ENGINEERING CERTIFICATE ISSUED & TAC APPROVED [Re: 4runnernomore]  
4runnernomore  Offline
Mudrunner
Darwin Australia
WOOHOO.

Final inspection today at the MVR and all passed. The Sporty is fully engineered and compliant for the NT.

Here is a crappy phone photo during the inspection.

[Linked Image]ccc

Don't know why my iPhone won't focus. Will have to get some better ones.

Cheers, Chris

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Axe Man, DamKia 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Page Time: 0.011s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 0.8802 MB (Peak: 1.0199 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2018-02-21 15:18:05 UTC