Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
1995 montero LS for sale in North Carolina
by jasonjj. 05/23/18 01:58 AM
89 LWB Temp Gage Dead
by rxinhed. 05/22/18 04:50 AM
suzi the psychic
by rascott. 05/22/18 04:23 AM
1989 LWB Check Engine Light #22 Crank Angle Sensor
by chadzeilenga. 05/20/18 04:34 AM
Intermittent Sportage Problem
by Squatchout. 05/16/18 04:22 AM
Custom shift knobs
by dadrab. 05/13/18 12:14 AM
1999 Montero Sport Limited 3.5L crawler build
by ES_97Sport. 05/11/18 12:33 AM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
89 LWB Temp Gage Dead
by chadzeilenga. 05/20/18 04:39 AM
1989 LWB Check Engine Light #22 Crank Angle Sensor
by chadzeilenga. 05/19/18 03:57 AM
Custom shift knobs
by dadrab. 05/13/18 12:14 AM
Gen 1: Desperation leads to desperate decision
by EastCoaster. 05/08/18 03:02 PM
Intermittent Sportage Problem
by Squatchout. 05/06/18 09:44 PM
4x4 Gallery
Flex test after suspension mods
Clearance check!
Testing the new Kenda Klever 31x10.50x15
My '88
4x4Wire YJ
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics137,848
Posts1,079,418
Members14,765
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: plh] #1076062
01/05/15 08:48 PM
01/05/15 08:48 PM
danz91crx  Offline
Wheeler
New York
Your method sounds good to me too. As long as there is an OEM one to measure.
Here is the PN I found on ASA for the 3.0 MD008959
Thats the only vin I have in mine right now sorry I couldn't get you a PN for yours poolecr

Last edited by danz91crx; 01/05/15 08:56 PM.

1990 LWB RS A/T
1990 LWB Base A/T
1991 LWB LS A/T Going...Going...
Support our sponsors
Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: poolecr] #1076063
01/05/15 08:55 PM
01/05/15 08:55 PM
Jay Ayala  Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Hillsboro, OR.
Originally posted by danz91crx
The woodruff key lines the pulleys up so they are in time. The force from the bolt pushes them farther onto the crank which is tapered. I would double check the order of the parts going on the crank in the FSM and what you have going onto the crank and make sure nothing is missing there. If the pulleys were not seating the crank would spin inside the pulleys and shear the woodruff key, the engine would quit because the cams would no longer turn. I've had first hand experience shearing a woodruff key on a CRF450 that I had. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run until I pulled the flywheel off the crank. You can download the ASA tool to look up parts for your montero on mitsubishilinks.com I believe. Thats if you want an OEM woodruff key. A dealer could probably get you the part number too.

[EDIT] Maybe try starting it up and check the engine side of your crank pulley for signs of wobbling with a flashlight. If you haven't already. Could be less things to play tricks on your eyes that way. [/EDIT]

If the timing sprocket is "loose" or the key way is larger than you would expect it to fit over the woodruff key, replace the timing sprocket with a new one.

Originally posted by poolecr
---------What I'm suspicious of---------

1. The crank sprocket keyway looks undamaged, BUT appears larger than I would expect. The sprocket has nearly 1/2 tooth worth of rotational play on the crank when not torqued down. It fits rather loosely onto the crankshaft as well. Can anyone confirm if this is normal? The woodruff key itself is extremely tight in the crank keyway, so I didn't try to remove it.

2. The crank pulley was surprisingly easy to press onto the sprocket. It's a fairly loose fit until the bolt is torqued. When I first removed the original pulley, it was very tightly fused to the sprocket.

I keep coming back to this comment. I remember my 3.0L more because I've done it 4 times as opposed to helping out my wife overhaul her 3.5L. However, the timing sprocket is a super snug fit keyway onto the woodruff key. Why is yours larger??? hmmm...

Woodruff key would be worth replacing, it does appear to be seated slightly more deeply into the crank at the end nearer to the block. Any advice on getting it out? Seems pretty stuck. Also, anyone have any info on the part number for that key? Can't seem to find it at the online OEM suppliers.

When I did my 1989 Overhaul in Jan of 2014, I replaced the woodruff key too. It was rather stubborn but once I broke it free, it was just a really snug fit and I could wiggle it out by hand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

89 Raider - V6, Automatic, rear LSD, A/C Retrofit, Cruise Control Retrofit.
Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: poolecr] #1076064
01/05/15 09:24 PM
01/05/15 09:24 PM
Jay Ayala  Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Hillsboro, OR.
--plh- Yes, the bolt length will be my first check once I get back to the truck (out of town this week). As for the washer direction- It appears symmetrical except for a small chamfer on one side of the inner diameter. Matching the original installation, I oriented this chamfer outward, away from the block. Do you recall if this is correct?

I know that what I'm about to show you is different than what you have but check this out. I just found a picture of my bolt length in the 3.0L crankshaft. I would expect to get about the same on your bolt and 3.5L crankshaft. It didn't bottom out even with the Harmonic Balancer off the crank shaft. The only thing I had on there was that new concave washer. That was what was stopping the bolt from going any further into the crank.

[Linked Image]

Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: plh] #1076065
01/05/15 09:48 PM
01/05/15 09:48 PM
P
poolecr  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Palmdale, CA
So to hit some of the excellent points addressed-

The woodruff slot in the crankshaft seemed to be in good shape when I last looked at it, with the key firmly in place. The keyway in the crank sprocket is where the slop comes from, and even though the sprocket appears undamaged, there is noticeable play. Odd. Sounds like I shouldn't have too much trouble getting that key out, then I can sort out the proper replacement. The crank sprocket itself will just have to be replaced.

As for the crankshaft bolt, yep, it's the pink one, all clear on that front.

To clarify a bit on the crank/key/pulley relationship, check these shots out of a pulley and sprocket:
Sprocket
Pulley
The only thing aligning the pulley and sprocket is the roll pin, with centering coming from the sprocket OD and pulley ID. Through hole in the pulley is for the bolt only, no part of the crank passes through. My apologies if I am mistaking anyone's comments, but I wasn't sure if all the Monty engines used this configuration or not. From a design perspective it seems odd to me that the crank doesn't extend all the way through and key into the pulley.

So with reference to Dan's comments, with this setup I've read of instances where that roll pin shears and lets the pulley spin around the bolt/sprocket, while the sprocket remains keyed to the crank and thankfully keeps those cams turning. In my case the pin is intact, but it would seem that the root of my wobble would be the slop in the sprocket... Any slight play at that sprocket would only become worse out at the end of the pulley. Not sure I can get a decent look at the back-of-pulley/front-of-sprocket interface while it's running with the t-belt cover currently installed.

Still hoping it's the bolt that's too long, which would be the simpler of the fixes!

1998 Gen 2.5 Montero w/ winter package
Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: Jay Ayala] #1076066
01/05/15 09:52 PM
01/05/15 09:52 PM
plh  Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Milwaukee Wisconsin
here are the 3.0l and 3.5/3.8l bolts

web page

web page

• 88 Raider: 5 spd, 4.62 LSD F & R, T/L, OME Rear Springs, KYB G/A, 33/12.5/15" MTZs, PLH LOs, Justice Bumper, Dual Bouncies, 4D56T in -running soon!
  • 1992 RS M/T
  • 1993 SR
  • 2005 Montero LTD
  • Gen 1 - PARTS FOR SALE
  • http://www.tuffpans.com
Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: poolecr] #1076067
01/05/15 10:01 PM
01/05/15 10:01 PM
P
poolecr  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Palmdale, CA
You guys are quick! Thanks for the PN attempt Dan, I'll keep digging and figure mine out.

Jay, appreciate the pics, thanks. My feelings exactly on the size of the sprocket keyway, very strange. The amount of play seems unusual, but the part doesn't look worn or damaged in any way. My only thought would be that for some reason it was once replaced with a non-OEM part...??

Doesn't look like all that much is different between the two engines in the crank area. If the crank is really threaded that deep it seems like there's no way that I'm bottoming out the bolt, though I'll be doing this same test ASAP to see.

Good stuff on the key fit. Once I break mine loose I'll see how it compares.

Not to stray too far from the matter at hand, but once I'm back down to this point, would you recommend doing my front oil seal as well? I'd originally left it alone since it seemed to be in fine shape.

Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: plh] #1076068
01/05/15 10:03 PM
01/05/15 10:03 PM
Jay Ayala  Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Hillsboro, OR.
Perhaps you may find these photos useful. They are from my old 1997 Montero SR 3.5L. I replaced the HB and the washer and bolt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: poolecr] #1076069
01/05/15 10:10 PM
01/05/15 10:10 PM
P
poolecr  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Palmdale, CA
Thanks for those bolt measurements plh. I'm regretting posting all this while away from the truck, now I'm just itching to get my hands on it and compare!

To the best I can tell, that 3.5L bolt looks correct, though the part number I ordered was 1100A141. I'm assuming that the A022 is just a new PN for the latest replacement. Unfortunately didn't save the bag mine came in but judging by appearances it was an A022.

The thing I'm especially curious about now is my sprocket. I wonder if it is way out of spec, particularly the keyway.

Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: poolecr] #1076070
01/05/15 10:15 PM
01/05/15 10:15 PM
Jay Ayala  Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Hillsboro, OR.
You guys are quick! Thanks for the PN attempt Dan, I'll keep digging and figure mine out.

Jay, appreciate the pics, thanks. My feelings exactly on the size of the sprocket keyway, very strange. The amount of play seems unusual, but the part doesn't look worn or damaged in any way. My only thought would be that for some reason it was once replaced with a non-OEM part...??

Doesn't look like all that much is different between the two engines in the crank area. If the crank is really threaded that deep it seems like there's no way that I'm bottoming out the bolt, though I'll be doing this same test ASAP to see.

Good stuff on the key fit. Once I break mine loose I'll see how it compares.

Not to stray too far from the matter at hand, but once I'm back down to this point, would you recommend doing my front oil seal as well? I'd originally left it alone since it seemed to be in fine shape.

I've got a lot of pictures from my 3.0L overhaul, but sadly I didn't document the 3.5L the way I normally like to because it was my wife overhauling and I was helping. It threw me off from my normal game. So no problem on the photos, I just wish I had the same amount I normally take for the 3.5L. Dang I missed my chance.

Yes, I am 99% sure that what you have is a non OEM timing sprocket. This 3.5L engine was used on a lot of different makes and models so it wouldn't surprise me if someone may have thought, hmm... Close enough!

How sure are you that there was half a tooth's rotation on that? There should not have been any.

In regards to the front crankshaft seal, if it isn't leaking I would recommend to leave it alone. If you go in after it, there is a possibility that you may gouge a scratch on the crankshaft during the removal process. If that happens than no matter what kind of new seal you put on it, there will always be a leak.

I have first hand personal experience with this and repairing that was not fun. I tried a lot of things and in the end, the only thing that actually worked was a new crankshaft.

Re: Crank pulley wobble with new pulley and tight bolt - 98 Montero [Re: poolecr] #1076071
01/05/15 10:18 PM
01/05/15 10:18 PM
P
poolecr  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Palmdale, CA
Ok, Jay's new photos made me even more curious. Was able to convince the wife to go dig through my garage trash for the bag my new bolt came in. I'm gonna owe her for that one, ha.

Anyway, what I've got in there now is PN 1100A141. It looks like the correct bolt, but more like the upper, longer bolt in plh's photos than the shorter bolt on the bottom and in Jay's pics....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Macka, Mudraider, off-roader, PajEvo, rxinhed 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Page Time: 0.012s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 1.0797 MB (Peak: 1.2180 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2018-05-23 18:21:43 UTC