Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Intermittent No-Start & Stalling
by Casey. 12/19/18 02:59 AM
Hello
by JrZippoBurke. 12/19/18 02:07 AM
22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly
by DRTDEVL. 12/18/18 02:07 PM
suzi the psychic
by rascott. 12/18/18 06:21 AM
wheels to fit 2010 jeep patriot
by lupacexi. 12/17/18 08:19 PM
Montero Sport to Gen I compatibility
by Bigshankhank. 12/17/18 12:54 AM
The engine build continues...
by DRTDEVL. 12/11/18 01:54 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Hello
by JrZippoBurke. 12/19/18 02:07 AM
wheels to fit 2010 jeep patriot
by lupacexi. 12/13/18 05:37 PM
Old Man Emu Lift Installation
by jimguy11. 12/11/18 01:12 AM
The engine build continues...
by DRTDEVL. 12/09/18 02:47 PM
22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly
by Bevoman. 12/08/18 08:00 PM
Which KYB for Gen 1 V6?
by JARED. 12/08/18 12:07 PM
4x4 Gallery
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
Flex test after suspension mods
Clearance check!
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 95 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics137,949
Posts1,079,812
Members14,850
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Future of XTerra [Re: Wayne] #432399
06/27/04 01:21 AM
06/27/04 01:21 AM
W
Wayne  Offline OP
Roll Me Over
Tucson, Dallas/FW or Virginia ...
I mentioned it a few times above, here's the future of the Xterra starting in 2005. All vehicles will be required to have side impact airbags soon; too many SUV's t-boning cars and killing car drivers. The rule is expected to be issued by 2005.
----------------------
Bigger and more powerful than its predecessor, the second-generation Xterra is looking to bolster its image as a rugged no-nonsense SUV. (It used to be the good, inexpensive SUV. Expect price increases.)

It maintains body-on-frame construction but it now rides on a modified version of the F-Alpha platform found underneath the full-size Titan truck and Armada SUV. Although the overall length is nearly identical to the previous model, the wheelbase is up by two inches for more interior room and a less choppy ride. It's also 2.5 inches wider and nearly two inches taller than its predecessor making it one of the larger SUVs in the compact class. (The XTerra received the lowest rating issued for SUV's in rollover tests; 2 stars. By making it taller, they also had to make it wider to keep it stable)

While the previous model was plagued by a lack of power, the 2005 Xterra gets a major boost of power in the way of a 4.0-liter V6 that will produce more than 250 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque. Two transmissions will be offered: a five-speed automatic and a six-speed manual.

Four-wheel-drive versions will use a multimode transfer case that offers 2Hi/Auto/4Hi/4Lo modes for maximum flexibility in varying conditions.

Four-wheel antilock disc brakes are standard while an electronic stability control system is offered as an option. Interior space is up thanks to the stretched exterior dimensions. Nissan claims that front seat leg- and headroom are up by nearly an inch while rear-seat passengers enjoy over 3.5 inches of additional legroom and more than two inches of extra headroom (due to lower rear seats?).

New interior features include adjustable tie-down hooks in the cargo area, increased storage up front and an optional 300-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system. Safety conscious buyers will be happy to note than in addition to the optional stability control system, the Xterra also offers optional front-seat side-impact airbags as well as side curtain airbags that protect both rows of seats.

No pricing information is available yet.
---------------------------
Engine Specific Info
The engine is a new variation on Nissan's VQ engine family. The VQ series makes use of variable valve timing, variable intake control, electronic throttle and an aluminum block and heads.

The 4.0-liter, double-overhead-camshaft V-6 will be rated at more than 260 hp and more than 280 pounds-feet of torque, Nissan said, but specifications won't be set production begins.

A 3.5-liter version of the VQ, which Nissan builds both in Decherd and Japan, is used in the Altima and Maxima sedans, Murano sport wagon, Quest minivan, 350Z roadster, Infiniti G35 sedan and coupe and Infiniti FX35 sport wagon.

Last edited by Wayne; 06/27/04 10:04 PM.

[color:"white"] 04 Rodeo DI [/color] 75k mi, body damage on the 1st weekend I got it.
Support our sponsors
Re: Test Drives (convincing the wife): Rodeo DI vs Liberty vs XTerra [Re: Wayne] #432400
07/05/04 06:53 AM
07/05/04 06:53 AM
kobyhud  Offline
Mudrunner
Provo, Utah
I agree about the front skid plates, but the skid plates under the middle of the car (the important ones) were actually somewhat tolerable. The transfer case/ tranny were reasonably well protected as was the gas tank.

The front end, Well I have never really ever seen a skid plate on the front end of a vehicle that wasnt all for show anyway. I dont count those as skid plates anyway smile.

Well as for the liberty, I noticed as well I didnt much like the suspension system, but I didnt get as good a look as I did at the xterra.

Been too long to ressurect this post, but I thought I would try to clear up what I said.

95 Rodeo LS, Auto, SAS, , 60 front, 14 bolt rear. 5.13 r&p, Hydro-Assist, teras..
http://www.pieceofhud.com/gallery
Re: Test Drives (convincing the wife): Rodeo DI vs Liberty vs XTerra [Re: sweater] #432401
07/05/04 11:22 AM
07/05/04 11:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wayne, here's what you do.

Realizing that Australia has now not only signed a new free trade agreement with the United States, you note that Australia has now also signed a new free trade agreement with Thailand.

In anticipation that you will soon be running your own Isuzu private-import company, you source a brand-spanking new left-hand-drive D-MAX diesel pick up from your supply partner in Thailand, send it 'tariff-free' to your Australian holding company (that adds the seat covers and floor mates, ARB suspension and lockers...therefore satisfying the 'Made in Australia' content to the vehicle), and have it delivered from Australia 'tariff-free' to your business address in the United States.

Since it is the demo model required to promote and sell further imported models in the future, you write it off on tax and live happily everafter.

Will the wife buy into that?

--Bighorn--

Re: Test Drives (convincing the wife): Rodeo DI vs Liberty vs XTerra [Re: Wayne] #432402
07/09/04 05:34 PM
07/09/04 05:34 PM
W
Wayne  Offline OP
Roll Me Over
Here's a professional car reviewer. He mentions the same problem I did earlier--if he writes anything negative, he is harrassed when he turns in his next car, and it's hard to get another one to review from the company. He switched tactics....by renting. Good idea.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2103009/

[color:"white"] 04 Rodeo DI [/color] 75k mi, body damage on the 1st weekend I got it.
Re: *Ah-hem!* This is supposed to be Wayne's thread! [Re: Wayne] #1104247
03/14/18 02:39 PM
03/14/18 02:39 PM
W
Wayne  Offline OP
Roll Me Over
I'm closing the loop. This is the post I made when test driving vehicles and convincing the wife the Isuzu really was the best deal out there at the time. And mine lasted for 13 years. Of course, I commute to work on a motorcycle a lot, and I deploy overseas every now and then, but still. I also banged up the Rodeo offroading in the Grand Canyon park the first month I had it, took it airborn "Dukes of Hazzard" style, and more. The just sucked up abuse. A great, truck-based body vehicle at a fair price.

But she couldn't handle a blown oil seal. 1400 miles with little-to-no oil will destroy any engine. I found a new engine with 90k-ish miles on it, but then the electrical problems surfaced. If I only had an oil gauge on the dash.

The end to my Rodeo is listed here: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119857
It even features a PDF of this post, that I found with embedded pictures still working.
Also, the black trim on a gray interior (what I purchased) looked much nicer that Isuzu's promotional pictures of black on brown.

Hopefully I'll get her sold soon. I live in AZ and she's dead at a mechanics in Fort Worth, Texas. As soon as he buttons her up, I'll put her on the block.

I was here from the both of this (and prior) boards to today. Isuzu people are good people. I'll save the bookmark and check in every now and then.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  houlster, jezeric, Jim_Paget, strawmyers 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Page Time: 0.011s Queries: 16 (0.005s) Memory: 1.0285 MB (Peak: 1.1242 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2018-12-19 07:18:41 UTC