Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
suzi the psychic
by rascott. 07/19/18 03:18 AM
Battery light - what's it telling me?
by GrantCee. 07/14/18 10:27 PM
'87 Montero clear coat flaking
by GrantCee. 07/12/18 12:32 AM
Echo
by rxinhed. 07/11/18 02:22 AM
1989 GEN 1 3.0L Oil Pressure
by DRLExpress. 07/05/18 08:41 PM
GEN1 LWB Radio reception
by chadzeilenga. 07/04/18 05:46 AM
Need Help - SOHC Valve Adjuster Replace
by tdf46. 07/03/18 01:38 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Battery light - what's it telling me?
by GrantCee. 07/14/18 10:27 PM
'87 Montero clear coat flaking
by GrantCee. 07/12/18 12:32 AM
Need Help - SOHC Valve Adjuster Replace
by tdf46. 07/03/18 02:02 AM
Bouncy seat
by montero1970. 07/01/18 06:57 PM
The slow rebuild thread
by DRTDEVL. 06/30/18 03:28 PM
Scratch my last post... wow!
by DRTDEVL. 06/28/18 02:08 PM
4x4 Gallery
Flex test after suspension mods
Clearance check!
Testing the new Kenda Klever 31x10.50x15
My '88
4x4Wire YJ
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 85 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics137,890
Posts1,079,530
Members14,783
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Scratch my last post... wow! #1104435
06/28/18 02:08 PM
06/28/18 02:08 PM
DRTDEVL  Offline OP
Roll Me Over
Las Cruces, NM *****
So I was a hair's breath away from parting out the old Montero. While I went junkyard hunting yesterday looking for air conditioning parts for my Winnebago, I stumbled across a 1988 Montero in a junkyard really close to my place. Out of curiosity, I looked under the hood... Of course, the engine was gone. I asked in the front office, and was greeted with "yes, we have a 2.6 that needs a good home."

Apparently, there was a gentleman who started a project fixing up an old Montero a few years ago. He hired them to repair the engine, as it it popped the head gasket. Unfortunately, as is all too often, the head was trash. It took them too long to find another head, even though they eventually retrofitted a 2.6 Caravan head to fit. The gentleman died before the engine was complete. They refunded the family the $800 Deposit they had gotten, and kept the Montero and engine with parts in trade.

I was offered a complete, machined, and assembled bottom end, rebuilt head, new carburetor, and every other component either new or rebuilt from that carburetor to the exhaust manifold for $400.

I think my summer plans have just changed. No more money into my cheap Chevy project (1993 C1500 with a 350 that I picked up for a grand), build this Montero engine, get the Montero back on the road, then try to get as much out of the old Chevy truck as possible. The Montero will be better suited for my needs, as I need a small, lightweight vehicle to pull behind the RV. I already built a bumper for it, and it was built to fit my IBISTEK HMMWV aluminum tactical tow bar with a 17500 pound weight rating. It is also four-wheel drive, which the Chevy truck is not. The air conditioning always worked better in the Montero, too. In addition, if we do end up moving North next year, four-wheel drive is awful nice in the snow.

I am downloading the 1988 Raider FSM right now, but I was curious if there was already a concise listing of the engine torque specs sitting around on this site. It would appear that I will be picking up a complete, yet disassembled, machined and rebuilt engine tomorrow (they have to get it from their race team garage off-site). Time to look into replacing every tool I need to reassemble and install an engine that I lost to the ex-wife in the divorce (she claims someone broke in and stole all my stuff when we were separated; its BS, but not worth taking her back to court and keeping her in my life over).

Before I begin, any tips or tricks I should know about? For example, a Toyota 22RE is easier to pull by unplugging the computer and feeding the harness out with the engine, swapping it on the stand. Any quick tips like this for the Montero?

"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living." - John F. Kennedy

Proud owner of an 88 Montero (with a blown engine).
Support our sponsors
Re: Scratch my last post... wow! [Re: DRTDEVL] #1104437
06/29/18 03:00 AM
06/29/18 03:00 AM
rxinhed  Offline
Trail Leader
Gerber, CA *****
No simple plug & play pieces like a nice harness! Darn engineers!

1988 Mighty Max turbo 2.6 service body
1980 Power Wagon W400
Sundry Mitsubishi Montero Gen 1 parts, Gen 1 and Gen 2 Max parts
Parts vehicles: 89 LS Montero 4-door, 2002 Sport AWD
For Sale: 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab, #277 Montero
Re: Scratch my last post... wow! [Re: DRTDEVL] #1104440
06/29/18 05:51 PM
06/29/18 05:51 PM
DRTDEVL  Offline OP
Roll Me Over
Las Cruces, NM *****
Day 1 with the engine: Threw out my back loading the engine parts, had to leave everything in the bed of the truck overnight. Luckily we're in the desert.

Day 2 so far: Picked up a shop crane and engine stand from Harbor Freight. Assembled, then hoisted the partially-assembled block out of the truck bed. As I am going through things, I notice more missing parts. The J/Y is already on the hunt for a box, since the obvious missing timing set (new, shrink wrapped on card) was missing. I now realize there is no oil pickup, no head bolts (allegedly came with new bolts), no half-moon seal, no counter balance shaft cover, and other minor assorted missing items. There are also only 2 bolts that thread into the back of the block, so I'll have to get those off of my Montero when the time comes to swap. This also means I need to run to ACE hardware to get some M10x1.25x75mm bolts to mount the engine on the stand (I already swung by Lowe's on the way home from Harbor Freight and they didn't have any in stock).

I'll be headed back to the JY after I hit ACE to see if they found the rest of the stuff. If so, my 73 Buick is coming out of the garage and headed to my RV storage space (40' long, the Buick is 17.xx and my RV is 20.xx in length, so thy will fit on the one rented space) in order to free up the room in the garage for me to get down to work on this block. I'll also pay my driver $40 to pull the Montero up here so I can put it in the garage where the Buick currently sits. Since the Montero is 4 feet shorter than the Buick, I should have ample room to work when backed into the same space.

Off to make lunch, then get going again!

"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living." - John F. Kennedy

Re: Scratch my last post... wow! [Re: DRTDEVL] #1104441
06/29/18 06:25 PM
06/29/18 06:25 PM
DRTDEVL  Offline OP
Roll Me Over
Las Cruces, NM *****
Next question: Is there any upgrade I need to be looking at while the engine is apart? As I said before, I'm versed in Toyota. If this were a 22R, I'd be slapping in an engnbldr 261 Crawler cam. As it is not, and they don't offer much in the way of parts anymore, is there a recommended cam for this little 2.6? The remainder of the setup is a Weber 32/36 conversion and a header (replaced broken manifold back in the day).

Should I consider a counterbalance shaft elimination kit? Why or why not?

I'd love to get a little more oomph out of it, yet remain 100% reliable in all conditions.

Re: Scratch my last post... wow! [Re: DRTDEVL] #1104444
07/01/18 06:57 PM
07/01/18 06:57 PM
rxinhed  Offline
Trail Leader
Gerber, CA *****
There are proponents in bot camps about the balance shaft elimination. My thought, it is there for a reason.

I have a new set of headbolts I'd donate for price of shipping. They were gifted to me, similarly.

Buick? GS Stage 1?

1988 Mighty Max turbo 2.6 service body
1980 Power Wagon W400
Sundry Mitsubishi Montero Gen 1 parts, Gen 1 and Gen 2 Max parts
Parts vehicles: 89 LS Montero 4-door, 2002 Sport AWD
For Sale: 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab, #277 Montero
Re: Scratch my last post... wow! [Re: rxinhed] #1104448
07/02/18 02:57 PM
07/02/18 02:57 PM
DRTDEVL  Offline OP
Roll Me Over
Las Cruces, NM *****
Originally Posted by rxinhed
There are proponents in bot camps about the balance shaft elimination. My thought, it is there for a reason.

I have a new set of headbolts I'd donate for price of shipping. They were gifted to me, similarly.

Buick? GS Stage 1?

If they can't find them, I'll take you up on the offer.

As for the Buick, its a 73 Apollo, currently powered by a warmed-over Olds 350 Rocket, but the next engine build in my garage over the winter is going to be a late 455 Buick block (higher nickel content) with 70 or 71 GS small chamber heads; building a Stage 2 to toss in that little Apollo.

Moderated by  Macka, Mudraider, off-roader, PajEvo, rxinhed 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Page Time: 0.010s Queries: 16 (0.004s) Memory: 1.0265 MB (Peak: 1.1311 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2018-07-21 11:38:25 UTC