I figured I should make a separate thread from the other one to document the rebuild.
For background on the engine: http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1104435/scratch-my-last-post-wow.html#Post1104435
Day -2: Found engine at local JY, disassembled
Day -1: Bought engine, loaded everything, minor back strain (my back is really bad, we even used a forklift for most of it).
Day 0: Reconfigured the garage. Bought crane and stand, assembled, moved GF's car to the other side. Set up tables, chair, engine parts and a portable AC and fan to try not to die in the NM summer heat.
Day 1: Decided to lean the block a bit and double-check the assembly job. Every bolt hole had burnt oil in the bottom, and every bearing was either dry or nearly dry, with minor grooving. I Disassembled the bottom end mostly, lubed the bearings (I decided to go with Mobil1 5w30 that I had lying around instead of assembly lube... its better than used oil from a J/Y), and torqued the mains to 60 and the rods to 34 lb-ft. I also took oven cleaner to the tops of the re-used pistons to remove the carbon, and hit the cylinder walls with some PB blaster in order to loosen the minimal surface corrosion from sitting for 2 years under a workbench.
I'm not in a big rush right now, even though I would love to be done in a day or two. There is still a box of parts missing that will either be found or I will have to source myself, whether new or off my old engine. The J/Y will refund some cash if they can't find it, but I'm hoping that's not the case. Once they either find the stuff or I order it, I'll be able to assemble everything. Right now, though, I am limited to prep work and parts cleaning. The oil pan is NASTY (this block obviously had some long-term oil leaks). I have the counterbalance shaft and silent shaft, but I don't have new bearings for them yet. With no head bolts, timing set, or cam bearings, I'm pretty much at a standstill right now.
I really hope they find the box with the remaining parts.