I figured I should make a separate thread from the other one to document the rebuild.

For background on the engine: http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1104435/scratch-my-last-post-wow.html#Post1104435

Day -2: Found engine at local JY, disassembled

Day -1: Bought engine, loaded everything, minor back strain (my back is really bad, we even used a forklift for most of it).

Day 0: Reconfigured the garage. Bought crane and stand, assembled, moved GF's car to the other side. Set up tables, chair, engine parts and a portable AC and fan to try not to die in the NM summer heat.

[Linked Image]

Day 1: Decided to lean the block a bit and double-check the assembly job. Every bolt hole had burnt oil in the bottom, and every bearing was either dry or nearly dry, with minor grooving. I Disassembled the bottom end mostly, lubed the bearings (I decided to go with Mobil1 5w30 that I had lying around instead of assembly lube... its better than used oil from a J/Y), and torqued the mains to 60 and the rods to 34 lb-ft. I also took oven cleaner to the tops of the re-used pistons to remove the carbon, and hit the cylinder walls with some PB blaster in order to loosen the minimal surface corrosion from sitting for 2 years under a workbench.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm not in a big rush right now, even though I would love to be done in a day or two. There is still a box of parts missing that will either be found or I will have to source myself, whether new or off my old engine. The J/Y will refund some cash if they can't find it, but I'm hoping that's not the case. Once they either find the stuff or I order it, I'll be able to assemble everything. Right now, though, I am limited to prep work and parts cleaning. The oil pan is NASTY (this block obviously had some long-term oil leaks). I have the counterbalance shaft and silent shaft, but I don't have new bearings for them yet. With no head bolts, timing set, or cam bearings, I'm pretty much at a standstill right now.

I really hope they find the box with the remaining parts.

"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living." - John F. Kennedy

Proud owner of an 88 Montero (with a blown engine).