Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Introduction & New Raider
by GrantCee. 11/13/18 11:23 PM
Bushing Removal Trouble
by jimguy11. 11/13/18 03:08 PM
Intermittent No-Start & Stalling
by MarkG. 11/10/18 01:17 AM
New Gen 1 owner need some help
by GrantCee. 11/07/18 12:25 AM
Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec
by Bigshankhank. 11/06/18 02:01 PM
Gas mileage with Weber carb?
by Scrambles. 10/31/18 03:16 PM
3 Rides, change of plans..
by JotaFatstacks. 10/29/18 05:17 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Bushing Removal Trouble
by jimguy11. 11/13/18 03:08 PM
Gas mileage with Weber carb?
by GrantCee. 10/27/18 11:32 PM
New Gen 1 owner need some help
by travish325. 10/24/18 06:21 PM
gen 3 3.8l TPS
by TimVanDyke. 10/24/18 02:41 PM
Hello from Atlanta
by JotaFatstacks. 10/23/18 06:01 PM
4x4 Gallery
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
Flex test after suspension mods
Clearance check!
Testing the new Kenda Klever 31x10.50x15
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics137,929
Posts1,079,741
Members14,833
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hello from Atlanta #1104639
10/23/18 06:01 PM
10/23/18 06:01 PM
J
JotaFatstacks  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Atlanta, GA
Hey folks, all of my Montero questions lead me back to this forum, so I figured I'd sign up and say hello! I picked up an '88 2.6L SWB Monty about a month back off of Facebook. 155k on the odometer, fully stock save the Weber carb upgrade, and no rust. After a short test drive and quick inspection, I was sold. I'd been on the hunt for a well-maintained Montero to daily drive for close to two years, and with a full file of service documents and records (and with the opportunity to be just the third owner), I didn't want to pass this one up.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMiciN0mCvnUV0tptvMostTg1ZYHD4702qy219J

Unfortunately, my problems began almost immediately. On the 50 mile trek home, the needle on the temperature gauge started rising, and by the time I parked in my driveway, I had steam coming from under the hood. A quick test revealed that the head gasket was blown. The seller told me he knew nothing about it, and there's not really any recourse, so now I'm going through the process of getting this thing fixed and back on the road.

I disassembled the engine down to the block this past weekend. Looks like the cause of the leak may have started with the exhaust manifold; it has a crack at the neck by the fourth cylinder that I didn't catch in my initial inspection. I believe the stress of that 50 mile drive caused the gasket to fail as the exhaust was not properly exiting off of that port, thus building up heat on that cylinder. I can't be 100% certain about that causation, but the gasket failure definitely occurred on the fourth cylinder, so all evidence points that way. I'm taking the head to a machine shop for inspection. Fingers crossed the short amount of time it was hot didn't warp it to crap.

At any rate, I'm also in need of a new exhaust manifold/headers. I've been looking around and keep running across the PaceSetter headers, so that might be the direction I go in. The only thing holding me back is that they allegedly only fit '83-'87 Monteros, but that doesn't seem right to me. Was there a major shift in the exhaust manifolds and systems from '87 to '88 on the 2.6Ls? It seems unlikely, but I haven't seen any other threads that address this, so I figured I'd ask. Also, with the PaceSetters, can anyone vouch for or steer me away from them? Are they a bolt-on affair, or do I need to get the torch ready? If anyone happens to have a stock manifold lying around, you may have a buyer.

Lastly, the previous owner installed the Weber, but didn't bother correctly sealing up the vacuum lines. If you've completed this conversion, I need some help. Did you cap all of the lines that ran to the old air filter and carb? Through some perusing on here I found the original vacuum diagrams, but it'd be great if someone with a Weber could post a photo of their engine bay so I can get an idea of what I need.

Hopefully I can give back some of what I've already gotten from this forum down the road, but for now, any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks y'all!

Jay

Last edited by JotaFatstacks; 10/23/18 06:07 PM.

1988 Montero SWB 2.6L 5-speed
Support our sponsors
Re: Hello from Atlanta [Re: JotaFatstacks] #1104643
10/25/18 12:09 AM
10/25/18 12:09 AM
G
GrantCee  Offline
Getting the Wheeling Fever
Oregon
Welcome!

I tried installing a Pacesetter on my '87, but it wouldn't clear the motor mount. I'm told that the mount needs to be modded to be able to clear the header, but I think that brings the pipe too close to the rubber mount. Apparently, though, it's doable because people have done it — I just didn't want to.

The big change in the exhaust system was in the 1987 model year. Prior to that the manifold had an integrated catalytic converter (a favorite Mitsubishi design), and everything downstream was different. For '87 that was changed to the familiar cast-iron header (you'll note it's actually a header and not just a manifold.) The engine didn't change, to the best of my knowledge.

Personally, I decided to search around for a stock manifold. If you're more comfortable with modding, then a Pacesetter could be a good choice. They are most definitely not a bolt-in affair.

As to the Weber, I've installed one and am still messing with it to get it "just right". Yes, you need to remove and plug every vacuum line/port on the engine, except for the one that goes to the distributor. That plugs into the valved vacuum port on the carb.

The only line to the air cleaner comes off the vapor canister, and it just connects to the elbow on the bottom of the Weber air cleaner. I'll take some pics for you tomorrow showing what I did.

One caution: the Weber absolutely needs a fuel pressure regulator. I went with a Holley adjustable low-pressure regulator, which has two outlets; I used one to mount a pressure gauge so I could dial it in exactly. I mounted it to a plate that I made to fit where the old vacuum control box was.

Re: Hello from Atlanta [Re: JotaFatstacks] #1104644
10/25/18 12:33 AM
10/25/18 12:33 AM
G
GrantCee  Offline
Oregon
Well, there was just enough light tonight to take some quick shots showing some of the details, including an overall shot that shows where the canister line hooks into the air cleaner. Mine has A/C, so my engine compartment is a little more cluttered than some!

A couple of things to note: There are a couple of vacuum switches on the thermostat housing (under the radiator hose). These don't need to be plugged, as they don't have any vacuum source; the hoses can simply be pulled off.

You can't see it too clearly, but directly under the choke housing, on the side of the intake manifold, is the vacuum "tree". That's where most of the vacuum lines originated, and once those lines are removed each of those 5 ports needs to be plugged. Someday I'm going to figure out what thread that thing uses and find a plug to replace it entirely.

Finally, I didn't like the K&N-style filter that comes with the carb; I much prefer a pleated paper filter, as they're much better at keeping out the fine dust I deal with on the gravel roads around my place. I ordered the accessory round cleaner and found a filter that fits it AND is in-stock at most NAPA stores.

Attached Files
IMG_2126.jpg (7 downloads)
IMG_2131.jpg (7 downloads)
IMG_2133.jpg (6 downloads)
Last edited by GrantCee; 10/25/18 01:57 AM.
Re: Hello from Atlanta [Re: GrantCee] #1104647
10/25/18 07:06 PM
10/25/18 07:06 PM
J
Need a Spot
Atlanta, GA
Hey GrantCee,

This is incredibly helpful! And, sadly, eye-opening in regards to the way the vacuum lines were set up by the previous owner. One positive is that they did manage to install a regulator. Regardless, thank you so much for going out of your way to help me out here. You've taken care of a ton of guess work!

If anyone out there has an OEM manifold you'd be willing to part with, please shoot me a DM.

Jay

Re: Hello from Atlanta [Re: JotaFatstacks] #1104648
10/25/18 11:01 PM
10/25/18 11:01 PM
G
GrantCee  Offline
Oregon
You're welcome. BTW, your photos link gives a 404 error, otherwise I would have commented on it. I'd still like to see what they did to your Monty!

Re: Hello from Atlanta [Re: JotaFatstacks] #1104650
10/26/18 02:24 PM
10/26/18 02:24 PM
JAVYPRO  Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Buford, GA USA
Jay,
Welcome to the GEN I world LOL, where in Atlanta are you?

Javy

88 red Montero with the Dakar Special Edition decals, 438,000 miles (As of 7/23/2012) some occational blue puffing but still strong and counting!!! I am going ppsshhh (turbo), Stay tuned =) ...
Re: Hello from Atlanta [Re: JAVYPRO] #1104651
10/26/18 03:16 PM
10/26/18 03:16 PM
J
Need a Spot
Atlanta, GA
Haha it's been quite the introduction. Just ready to get driving. I've only gotten to drive it home and it's stayed parked since!

Nice to see another Atlantan on here! I'm on the northwest side of the city just inside 285. I know of one other Gen 1 that lives down here in the city (Virginia-Highlands neighborhood) but I haven't met them. Their red Monty inspired me to begin my search in the first place.

Originally Posted by JAVYPRO
Jay,
Welcome to the GEN I world LOL, where in Atlanta are you?

Javy

Re: Hello from Atlanta [Re: GrantCee] #1104652
10/26/18 04:45 PM
10/26/18 04:45 PM
J
Need a Spot
Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by GrantCee
You're welcome. BTW, your photos link gives a 404 error, otherwise I would have commented on it. I'd still like to see what they did to your Monty!

Ah shoot, n00b move on my part. Here's photos of the exterior, interior, and engine bay as it currently stands. I took the radiator out to give it a good flush since it more than likely has some oil in it with the blown head. Previous owner was having issue with the horn. Pulled it apart and didn't put it back together, but luckily gave me all of the pieces, so that'll be another thing to do once all is set under the hood.

Attached Files
IMG_3749.jpg (8 downloads)
IMG_3937.jpg (9 downloads)

Re: Hello from Atlanta [Re: JotaFatstacks] #1104653
10/26/18 06:26 PM
10/26/18 06:26 PM
G
GrantCee  Offline
Oregon
Looks like it's in pretty good condition, very similar to mine - we have the same interior!

The vacuum control unit on the driver's fender should have nothing but wires running to it at this point; you can disconnect those and remove the unit if you so desire. You can also remove the ECU in the passenger footwell, as it no longer does anything with the Weber carb.

Moderated by  Macka, Mudraider, off-roader, PajEvo, rxinhed 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Page Time: 0.010s Queries: 17 (0.003s) Memory: 1.0470 MB (Peak: 1.1767 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2018-11-14 12:12:45 UTC