Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Introduction & New Raider
by GrantCee. 11/13/18 11:23 PM
Bushing Removal Trouble
by jimguy11. 11/13/18 03:08 PM
Intermittent No-Start & Stalling
by MarkG. 11/10/18 01:17 AM
New Gen 1 owner need some help
by GrantCee. 11/07/18 12:25 AM
Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec
by Bigshankhank. 11/06/18 02:01 PM
Gas mileage with Weber carb?
by Scrambles. 10/31/18 03:16 PM
3 Rides, change of plans..
by JotaFatstacks. 10/29/18 05:17 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Bushing Removal Trouble
by jimguy11. 11/13/18 03:08 PM
Gas mileage with Weber carb?
by GrantCee. 10/27/18 11:32 PM
New Gen 1 owner need some help
by travish325. 10/24/18 06:21 PM
gen 3 3.8l TPS
by TimVanDyke. 10/24/18 02:41 PM
Hello from Atlanta
by JotaFatstacks. 10/23/18 06:01 PM
4x4 Gallery
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
Flex test after suspension mods
Clearance check!
Testing the new Kenda Klever 31x10.50x15
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 100 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics137,929
Posts1,079,741
Members14,833
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec #1104658
10/31/18 04:49 AM
10/31/18 04:49 AM
so_ber  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Oregon
Hello everyone! I posted this question on another forum but it doesn't seem they are very active so I'd like to give it a shot here.

My first question to my fellow Montero appreciators is in regard to the oil pressure sending unit. The original one was kind of erratic, so the check oil lamp would come on sometimes. After reading many posts here and other forums/the internet it seemed the general consensus was to change it. I got the one for the gauge (as mine is a 1990 LS) and replaced it. I should tell you that when under the car in the limited space, I got a little disoriented so I initially tightened it a bit by accident. Rookie move. Got it off and the new one didn’t want to go on at first. Had to find someone w/ a tap to neaten the threads a little. It finally went in and all seemed well. At night, though, I noticed the oil lamp was still glowing, very faintly. I took my car to a neighbor mechanic and had him check the oil pressure using a gauge. At idle it read around 15 psi, I think. Normal based on the readings others generally get (based on what I've read online). He put the sending unit back on and I’ve been driving it since, and during the day I can’t see any light, but at night, it’s always there. It sometimes gets slightly brighter, but never fully lit, it’s on when the running lights are off. My oil pressure gauge usually reads about 30 psi (or just less), about 15-20 psi idling, and once on a long trip on a warm day it was a little lower (oil heated up?). Anyway, I changed it out about a month or two ago, and it has been the same ever since. Any thoughts?? (Also, I use Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30, which I've seen recommended online for this rig, but my mechanic just told me it's the worst oil out there...)

This is the one I got, for gauge:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...h-s933/5972191-P?searchTerm=Oil+pressure

Last edited by so_ber; 10/31/18 05:14 AM.

1990 Montero LS (retrofit project!)
Support our sponsors
Re: Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec [Re: so_ber] #1104660
10/31/18 12:39 PM
10/31/18 12:39 PM
B
Bigshankhank  Offline
Need a Spot
Tampa Bay Area
It sounds like, if your sending unit and gauge are working, you might have some corrosion or a short on the wiring for the warning lamp causing it to glow. Before you replaced the sending unit, when you say the warning lamp would come on, are you saying it would light up fully, day or night, more than just a faint glow?

1989 Dodge Raider V6
2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
2008 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 4wd
Re: Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec [Re: so_ber] #1104662
10/31/18 03:32 PM
10/31/18 03:32 PM
TOASTY  Offline
Trail Leader
Mesa AZ, US. *****
I agree with Hank, it sounds like an electrical issue. I think that light switch is a ground turn on so you maybe have something giving it some ground (possibly the switch internally). This can happen when a sensor is installed in place of a switch, there should be a oil pressure switch and a oil pressure sensor depending on your model Montero. The switch controls the light and the sensor is the sender for the gauge if equipped, it may be a combination switch/sender that does both jobs I don't know because i haven't looked it up for you and my gen 1 wasn't equipped with gauges from the factory so i'm not readily familiar. Do a little research and i think you'll have this sorted in short order.

1999 Montero Blizzard package

1991 Montero RS
Re: Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec [Re: TOASTY] #1104664
10/31/18 09:11 PM
10/31/18 09:11 PM
so_ber  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Oregon
Thank you both for your input!

Originally Posted by Bigshankhank
It sounds like, if your sending unit and gauge are working, you might have some corrosion or a short on the wiring for the warning lamp causing it to glow. Before you replaced the sending unit, when you say the warning lamp would come on, are you saying it would light up fully, day or night, more than just a faint glow?

Yes, it would be either completely on or off visible day or night before I changed the sending unit. Now it's really faint, and sometimes, though not often, not on at all. When giving it gas going uphill it often glows a little stronger, but still not near fully on.

Originally Posted by TOASTY
there should be a oil pressure switch and a oil pressure sensor depending on your model Montero. The switch controls the light and the sensor is the sender for the gauge if equipped, it may be a combination switch/sender that does both jobs.

I believe* that the one for the LS does both. For the RS, the switch is the recommended part, and for the LS, the gauge is (and is considered a 'direct replacement'). The one I got is a little bigger than the original OEM one, but it was a little cheaper so I thought I'd try it. I was considering trying the more expensive one next, but wanted to see if people more knowledgeable than me could offer any other suggestions before doing that.

I will check the grounding when I get back. (Of course I start this thread the day I leave on a trip where I'll be gone for a month, haha!)

I will keep you all posted, and any other tips/suggestions are of course welcome as I'm very new to this but excited and eager to learn!

Thanks again!

Re: Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec [Re: so_ber] #1104666
11/01/18 04:12 PM
11/01/18 04:12 PM
B
Bigshankhank  Offline
Need a Spot
Tampa Bay Area
Originally Posted by so_ber
Thank you both for your input!

Yes, it would be either completely on or off visible day or night before I changed the sending unit. Now it's really faint, and sometimes, though not often, not on at all. When giving it gas going uphill it often glows a little stronger, but still not near fully on.

Originally Posted by TOASTY
there should be a oil pressure switch and a oil pressure sensor depending on your model Montero. The switch controls the light and the sensor is the sender for the gauge if equipped, it may be a combination switch/sender that does both jobs.

I believe* that the one for the LS does both. For the RS, the switch is the recommended part, and for the LS, the gauge is (and is considered a 'direct replacement'). The one I got is a little bigger than the original OEM one, but it was a little cheaper so I thought I'd try it. I was considering trying the more expensive one next, but wanted to see if people more knowledgeable than me could offer any other suggestions before doing that.

I will check the grounding when I get back. (Of course I start this thread the day I leave on a trip where I'll be gone for a month, haha!)

I will keep you all posted, and any other tips/suggestions are of course welcome as I'm very new to this but excited and eager to learn!

Thanks again!

Yeah, if its growing brighter when the alternator is putting out more juice (higher engine revs), you've got a faulty ground somewhere.

1989 Dodge Raider V6
2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
Re: Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec [Re: Bigshankhank] #1104667
11/01/18 04:50 PM
11/01/18 04:50 PM
G
GrantCee  Offline
Getting the Wheeling Fever
Oregon

Yeah, if its growing brighter when the alternator is putting out more juice (higher engine revs), you've got a faulty ground somewhere.

I wonder if he put teflon thread tape on the sensor when installing. That would do it.

Re: Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec [Re: GrantCee] #1104668
11/03/18 12:32 AM
11/03/18 12:32 AM
so_ber  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Oregon

Interesting! That makes sense!

Originally Posted by GrantCee
I wonder if he put teflon thread tape on the sensor when installing. That would do it.

Actually, no, I didn't use teflon tape. I asked the guys at the auto parts store and they said that since it's tapered, it wouldn't be necessary. And since there was no oil leaking after, I figured it was on there snug enough. Are you saying that it could be due to metal-to-metal contact then?

Re: Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec [Re: so_ber] #1104669
11/03/18 06:25 PM
11/03/18 06:25 PM
G
GrantCee  Offline
Getting the Wheeling Fever
Oregon
Originally Posted by so_ber

Actually, no, I didn't use teflon tape. I asked the guys at the auto parts store and they said that since it's tapered, it wouldn't be necessary. And since there was no oil leaking after, I figured it was on there snug enough. Are you saying that it could be due to metal-to-metal contact then?

No, thread tape could give a faulty ground. You did it correctly.

Last edited by GrantCee; 11/03/18 06:25 PM.
Re: Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec [Re: GrantCee] #1104670
11/04/18 04:49 AM
11/04/18 04:49 AM
so_ber  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Oregon
Originally Posted by GrantCee

No, thread tape could give a faulty ground. You did it correctly.

Ah, good to know! So somewhere else. I'm pretty new at working on cars and understand some of the basics, but am not skilled in any way. Is there a place that you, Bigshankhank or anyone else suggest checking first? A connection particularly prone to becoming loose or failing? Not sure if it would be related, but my door ajar buzzer sometimes works and stays on as long as the door is open, but other times it starts then cuts off/is intermittent. Everything else seems to work fine (power windows, power locks, interior lights, etc).

Re: Gen 1 new oil pressure sending unit but faint chec [Re: so_ber] #1104671
11/06/18 02:01 PM
11/06/18 02:01 PM
B
Bigshankhank  Offline
Need a Spot
Tampa Bay Area
Honestly finding an electrical fault can be daunting and I am afraid I am not the expert in that regard. One thing that I have learned though is that battery cables do not last forever, and when they are decayed they will create all kinds of odd electrical glitches. Thus, when I start trying to sort out electrical problems on older cars I usually start with new cables and then see what problems go away once that's been done.

1989 Dodge Raider V6
2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L

Moderated by  Macka, Mudraider, off-roader, PajEvo, rxinhed 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Page Time: 0.010s Queries: 15 (0.002s) Memory: 1.0566 MB (Peak: 1.1924 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2018-11-14 11:37:40 UTC