And more delays:
I found out that my fuel pump spacer MELTED! The heat when it blew was so intense, I had to order another one. It will be here later in the week. I also found out that the A/C Compressor was wrong... and every image I see is of the wrong compressor. Where do you guys find the right one? Every 6P148A compressor I have found has the mounting tabs in the wrong place. I searched here, and found some old threads, but the only actual parts source I found with one is in China. I'm not to keen on that route. A lot of the old threads say to have the one in the Montero rebuilt.
No, I don't know if it is bad, but the truck has sat in the desert for 4 years now and the compressor does give resistance to turning (not locked up, but more difficult than it should be to turn by hand). I'm not sure how much life it has left in it, so I was going to replace it preemptively, along with the receiver/drier and expansion valve, draw a vacuum, add PAG, and recharge it.
Where would I find a rebuild kit for the compressor? I'm not afraid of rebuilding anything except transmissions (irrational fear, I know).
While awaiting the spacer, I will re-wire the distributor (old, hacked wires to the pickup coil), solder in a bunch of connectors under hood (a lot of hacked wiring, and I cut a bunch of plug ends out of a wrecked Monty in the J/Y), install the motor mounts, put the engine on the hoist to install the rear main, then back to the stand to flip over and install the oil pickup screen and oil pan. Once the spacer arrives, I can re-install the fuel pump, pour oil over the entire valve train, and spin the engine over a few times with the breaker bar as quickly as I can to get a partial prime on the oil pump. Only then will I be able to put it back on the hoist, install the flywheel and clutch, then drop it in place.
In reality, there's only about an afternoon of work left, but I like to go slow and be meticulous, so it will still be a full weekend's project before attempting to fire the engine up.
In the meantime, I am going to pull the head from the old one and see how bad things look inside. So far, I see exhaust ports 3 and 4 are clean, so that's where the head gasket blew. I also found that the spark plug electrode in 4 was broken, so I'm guessing that's where the bulk of the water went. I found that there was no hole in the block like I suspected, the oil pouring out came from the melted fuel pump spacer and was dripping off near the starter. This might actually be a rebuildable core... if I could only find someone within a reasonable distance who wants it nearly immediately. I am moving in 5 months, so I need to clear out a lot of junk before then.
Last edited by DRTDEVL; 12/11/18 01:51 PM.