Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
WTB - Montero 3.0L Fan Clutch 89-94
by chadzeilenga. 01/24/19 03:24 AM
1989 LS Montero -K148 Transmisson-No OD
by rxinhed. 01/23/19 07:22 AM
Headlight & Rear window washers
by rxinhed. 01/23/19 07:19 AM
Where to advertise selling a 1990 SWB Montero?
by rxinhed. 01/23/19 07:16 AM
Gen 1 LWB brake lights not working.
by rxinhed. 01/23/19 07:14 AM
My first Raider
by rxinhed. 01/23/19 07:02 AM
22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly
by Bevoman. 01/22/19 11:22 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
2nd Gen Front Lincoln Locker.
by Bruce Anderson. 01/14/19 03:24 PM
Hello from Vermont & Gen II SWB diesel
by ATTILA. 01/13/19 01:29 PM
Where to advertise selling a 1990 SWB Montero?
by RockDoc. 01/12/19 10:31 PM
My first Raider
by Flicky8. 01/12/19 03:28 AM
WTB - Mitsubishi OD Relay MB510843
by tdf46. 01/09/19 03:56 AM
How to connect to ECU for diagnostics
by chadzeilenga. 01/08/19 02:22 AM
4x4 Gallery
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
Flex test after suspension mods
Clearance check!
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 139 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics137,963
Posts1,079,883
Members14,875
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The engine build continues... #1104731
12/09/18 02:47 PM
12/09/18 02:47 PM
DRTDEVL  Offline OP
J
Roll Me Over
Las Cruces, NM *****
So, I bought a reman head from AutoZone off of eBay. After shipping, it was under $400. Sure, it was the FWD head, but all I needed to do was swap my cam off the other head over to it and use the head plug on the back. Easy-peasy.

I figured out why the engine was so buzzy and vibrated itself apart as well. I thought I had a balance shaft eliminator kit installed, but when I opened it up, the balance and silencer shafts were present. After spinning to TDC, I found the problem: The balance and silencer shafts were installed 180* out. The timing marks on the sprockets were exactly the opposite of where the FSM says they should be. This had been corrected on the new build.

Now the quick questions: Do I need any RTV on the timing gasket? A dab at the corners of the head gasket I already figure, but are these dry gaskets? The same question for the oil pan and balance shaft cover.

I can't believe the Montero is almost ready to go back on the road after being down for 4 years...

"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living." - John F. Kennedy

Proud owner of an 88 Montero (with a blown engine).
Support our sponsors
Re: The engine build continues... [Re: DRTDEVL] #1104738
12/11/18 01:41 PM
12/11/18 01:41 PM
DRTDEVL  Offline OP
J
Roll Me Over
Las Cruces, NM *****
And more delays:

I found out that my fuel pump spacer MELTED! The heat when it blew was so intense, I had to order another one. It will be here later in the week. I also found out that the A/C Compressor was wrong... and every image I see is of the wrong compressor. Where do you guys find the right one? Every 6P148A compressor I have found has the mounting tabs in the wrong place. I searched here, and found some old threads, but the only actual parts source I found with one is in China. I'm not to keen on that route. A lot of the old threads say to have the one in the Montero rebuilt.

No, I don't know if it is bad, but the truck has sat in the desert for 4 years now and the compressor does give resistance to turning (not locked up, but more difficult than it should be to turn by hand). I'm not sure how much life it has left in it, so I was going to replace it preemptively, along with the receiver/drier and expansion valve, draw a vacuum, add PAG, and recharge it.

Where would I find a rebuild kit for the compressor? I'm not afraid of rebuilding anything except transmissions (irrational fear, I know).

While awaiting the spacer, I will re-wire the distributor (old, hacked wires to the pickup coil), solder in a bunch of connectors under hood (a lot of hacked wiring, and I cut a bunch of plug ends out of a wrecked Monty in the J/Y), install the motor mounts, put the engine on the hoist to install the rear main, then back to the stand to flip over and install the oil pickup screen and oil pan. Once the spacer arrives, I can re-install the fuel pump, pour oil over the entire valve train, and spin the engine over a few times with the breaker bar as quickly as I can to get a partial prime on the oil pump. Only then will I be able to put it back on the hoist, install the flywheel and clutch, then drop it in place.

In reality, there's only about an afternoon of work left, but I like to go slow and be meticulous, so it will still be a full weekend's project before attempting to fire the engine up.

In the meantime, I am going to pull the head from the old one and see how bad things look inside. So far, I see exhaust ports 3 and 4 are clean, so that's where the head gasket blew. I also found that the spark plug electrode in 4 was broken, so I'm guessing that's where the bulk of the water went. I found that there was no hole in the block like I suspected, the oil pouring out came from the melted fuel pump spacer and was dripping off near the starter. This might actually be a rebuildable core... if I could only find someone within a reasonable distance who wants it nearly immediately. I am moving in 5 months, so I need to clear out a lot of junk before then.

Last edited by DRTDEVL; 12/11/18 01:51 PM.

"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living." - John F. Kennedy

Re: The engine build continues... [Re: DRTDEVL] #1104739
12/11/18 01:54 PM
12/11/18 01:54 PM
DRTDEVL  Offline OP
J
Roll Me Over
Las Cruces, NM *****

Last edited by DRTDEVL; 12/11/18 01:55 PM.

Moderated by  Macka, Mudraider, off-roader, PajEvo, rxinhed 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Page Time: 0.009s Queries: 16 (0.003s) Memory: 1.0089 MB (Peak: 1.0874 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2019-01-24 08:23:15 UTC