Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
WTB 2 Door Montero
by Malykaii. 05/19/19 04:58 PM
1987, 2.6L, power steering pump bracket
by rxinhed. 05/17/19 12:50 AM
91 Montero Gas Smell
by rxinhed. 05/14/19 12:32 AM
Skid plates for 87 Raider
by rxinhed. 05/14/19 12:30 AM
suzi the psychic
by Tuxedo_Ranch. 05/13/19 02:52 AM
87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas
by Tuxedo_Ranch. 05/12/19 12:43 PM
Introduction & New Raider
by Tuxedo_Ranch. 05/12/19 12:36 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
WTB 2 Door Montero
by Malykaii. 05/16/19 04:35 PM
Skid plates for 87 Raider
by Tuxedo_Ranch. 05/11/19 03:00 AM
1987, 2.6L, power steering pump bracket
by Tincan. 05/11/19 02:01 AM
Need 1989 Windshield Washer Reservoir Tank
by polar. 05/07/19 06:23 PM
Need Complete Exhaust Assembly 89 V6 SWB
by polar. 05/07/19 06:05 PM
Gen 2 Alignment Issues - Caster
by red97rum. 05/07/19 12:34 AM
4x4 Gallery
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
Flex test after suspension mods
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,005
Posts1,080,083
Members14,915
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Intermittent No-Start & Stalling [Re: Casey] #1104744
12/17/18 02:07 PM
12/17/18 02:07 PM
C
chadzeilenga  Offline
Getting the Wheeling Fever
Charlotte, NC USA
Hey Casey,
I just started having the same issue with my 89 LWB 3.0L. I recently replaced the engine and have been chasing a few gremlins with this being one of them. Today, I took kids to school and while on the way it shutoff completely and I coasted to the side of road. Checked for loose connections and then it finally started and ran fine after that. I'll try and order the S745 connector and see if that helps.

Chad Zeilenga
1989 Gen 1 Montero
Support our sponsors
Re: Intermittent No-Start & Stalling [Re: Casey] #1104751
12/19/18 02:59 AM
12/19/18 02:59 AM
C
Casey  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Denver, CO
I spliced in the new ignition coil module harness this morning. However, the same symptoms seem to still exist -- the truck ran fine most of the day as I test drove in the neighborhood, but on the most recent test drive it died as I was pulling onto the street. Cranked a few times with no fire, then I pushed it to the curb, tried one more time and it fired up. Then drove the neighborhood for 10 minutes with several start/stops and no further issues.

I received some advice while I was waiting out one of the no-start episodes in the O'Reillys parking lot yesterday (pre-ICM connector replacement). A part-time mechanic seemed pretty convinced the issue was the fuel pump as he couldn't hear it prime when the key was in the "on" position. We sprayed some starter fluid and got it to fire (then stall again). I know fuel pumps can go in and out as they near their death, but this has been happening for nearly 6 months now and I would have assumed a fuel-pump related stall would likely be accompanied by some sputtering -- or that if the fuel pump was going to fail, it would have failed completely by now.

Anybody have thoughts on the next step, keep troubleshooting wires/connections under the assumption that a short is causing the fuel pump to go in and out, or time to consider a new pump? Thanks.

Casey
1989 Montero LS, 3.0 V6, 140k miles
Re: Intermittent No-Start & Stalling [Re: Casey] #1104753
12/19/18 05:46 PM
12/19/18 05:46 PM
C
chadzeilenga  Offline
Charlotte, NC USA
Hey Casey,
I haven't yet received my ignition coil harness from RockAuto, but I did ensure that the existing clip was securely engaged and cleaned out any debris from it and bent the 3 tabs on the ICM down slightly to increase engagement with the plug. I did this on MON night and afterwards, started up and idled great. I drove around the neighborhood getting up to full operating temp and no issue.

Tuesday, drove to work (10mi) and had no issue, on my way home i was starting to get some stumbling in my accelerations while I was close to home. Are you experiencing this at all, or do you just suddenly die?

I arrived home, shut vehicle off and then it wouldn't restart. It would crank strong and sometimes fire, but die quickly. Restarted fine later in night and this morning with no issue, but didn't feel comfortable driving until I sort out source of issue.

I didn't have this issue when I started the engine replacement as a result of a failed headgasket ~2mo ago. My assumption was that something was loose at the engine, but will start working through FSM troubleshooting for the MPI system as based on the stumbling behavior I feel that it is fuel related.

Chad Zeilenga
1989 Gen 1 Montero
Re: Intermittent No-Start & Stalling [Re: chadzeilenga] #1104756
12/20/18 03:03 AM
12/20/18 03:03 AM
C
Casey  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Denver, CO
Chad -- My symptoms seem slightly different. I never experience any sputtering or warnings pre-stall, it's black or white, running strong or dead. After a period of 5-45 mins where it will crank strong but not fire, it will typically then start up and run just fine for a while. It doesn't typically start and die repeatedly during any given session.

Casey
Re: Intermittent No-Start & Stalling [Re: Casey] #1104763
12/27/18 06:30 AM
12/27/18 06:30 AM
C
chadzeilenga  Offline
Charlotte, NC USA
Yea, I think you are right. I’m focusing on the fuel items and ruling out the simple stuff per FSM right now.

Chad Zeilenga
1989 Gen 1 Montero
Re: Intermittent No-Start & Stalling [Re: MarkG] #1104865
02/19/19 11:29 PM
02/19/19 11:29 PM
C
Casey  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Denver, CO
Getting back after this issue.

I've attempted the following:
- replaced ECU (tried two different units) with no change in symptoms, reinstalled original unit
- replaced Ignition Coil, IC Module, and spliced in a new ICM harness with no change in symptoms, new units/wire remain installed
- replaced Fuel Pump Relay with no change in symptoms, reinstalled original relay
- not entirely related, but replaced plugs and wires as they were overdue

No dash lights ever illuminate while the vehicle is operating, but all lights come on upon a stall (with the key still in the On position). No stored codes in the ECU.

I saw in a prior thread that a faulty Distributor can tell the ECU to turn off the fuel pump. Does anybody have any additional insight on this, and whether it may apply in this case, i.e. whether it can go in and out?
http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/425297.html

I can't find much color on the MPI Control Unit or Fuel Pump Drive Terminal, part numbers, exactly what they do, whether they could cause the fuel pump to intermittently lose power. Any thoughts on these components?

Originally Posted by MarkG
Fuel -
On a "No Start", do you have much of a raw fuel smell at the tail pipe?
When turning the ignition "on", but before "start", can you hear the fuel pump relay click at the passenger side kick panel? What about the fuel pump?

I don't notice a fuel smell upon the no-start.
At all times, when I turn the key to the On position, the fuel pump relay clicks, then clicks off several seconds after putting the key to the Off position and/or removal. When the vehicle is running, there is a clear hum from the fuel pump. When it is actively "not-starting", the hum is not present while the key is in the On position. When I go to pick it up from around the block later, I'll confirm whether the hum is present with the key in the On position prior to the vehicle starting.

Thanks again for any and all commentary.

Casey
Re: Intermittent No-Start & Stalling [Re: Casey] #1104866
02/20/19 12:49 AM
02/20/19 12:49 AM
C
Casey  Offline OP
Need a Spot
Denver, CO
Originally Posted by Casey
At all times, when I turn the key to the On position, the fuel pump relay clicks, then clicks off several seconds after putting the key to the Off position and/or removal. When the vehicle is running, there is a clear hum from the fuel pump. When it is actively "not-starting", the hum is not present while the key is in the On position. When I go to pick it up from around the block later, I'll confirm whether the hum is present with the key in the On position prior to the vehicle starting.

Confirmed, the fuel pump "buzz" never occurs while the key is in the On position, it's only audible when the vehicle is running.

Today is another example of it starting up an hour+ after previously stalling while driving and refusing to re-start, without any tinkering or potential fixes.

Last edited by Casey; 02/20/19 12:50 AM.

Casey
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Macka, Mudraider, off-roader, PajEvo, rxinhed 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Page Time: 0.011s Queries: 16 (0.004s) Memory: 1.0379 MB (Peak: 1.1444 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2019-05-20 10:32:11 UTC