Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
KYB alternate shocks?
by rxinhed - 12/01/20 03:50 AM
What(?) to fix Raider Power Steering?
by TresMon - 11/30/20 12:06 AM
87' Raider, KM145 t case chain?
by TresMon - 11/29/20 09:27 PM
Black Friday Sale!
by rxinhed - 11/29/20 04:31 AM
Roof rack recommendation?
by rxinhed - 11/27/20 10:07 PM
Driver's side grab handle ?
by rxinhed - 11/26/20 05:17 PM
U Joint Size.
by Trailmonkey - 11/26/20 01:25 AM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
KYB alternate shocks?
by TresMon - 11/29/20 10:05 PM
What(?) to fix Raider Power Steering?
by TresMon - 11/28/20 09:39 PM
Roof rack recommendation?
by Pagemo - 11/27/20 01:50 PM
Black Friday Sale!
by B_Line - 11/26/20 11:45 PM
Driver's side grab handle ?
by Trailmonkey - 11/26/20 02:01 AM
87' Raider, KM145 t case chain?
by TresMon - 11/25/20 05:55 PM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 102 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,157
Posts1,080,887
Members15,113
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105268 09/24/19 01:22 AM
Tuxedo_Ranch Offline OP
Getting the Wheeling Fever
Well, I got Fortuetus Eduardo hauled back to his new home, 19 hrs on the road but worth it. Didn't feel safe driving him over 500 miles before I had a chance to check out his health, besides, I didn't have a license plate.

Don't know if the noise is actually main or rod bearings, beginning to think it could be slop in the timing or balance shaft chains. Sounds like the motorcycle I used to own when it's timing chain tensioner block was worn out. Anyone have any information on this that would help me figure it out?

Gonna have to update my "signature" to include him now.

87 GEN1 Raider 5-spd w/ Weber (HAGAR)
87 GEN1 Monty 5-spd stock (LUCKY EDDIE)
88 GEN1 Raider A/T w/ Weber (HELGA)
87 Ford Ranger STX 5-spd 2.9L V6
95 Ford Bronco Eddy Bauer
99 Toyota 4-Runner Limited 3" lift

WELCOME TO MY "USED" CAR LOT
Support our sponsors
Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105270 09/24/19 02:14 AM
Tuxedo_Ranch Offline OP
Been spending my limited time at home working on the 87 Ranger for my youngest son to drive. My middle son exploded the tranny and t-case driving it while the rear drive shaft CV joint was bad (massive counter weight). Broke the complete tranny rear mounting plate off allowing the t-case to slam into its' skid plate, smashing it's case also.

Just gotta get the drive shaft fixed and the motor running better and it will be complete for now. Then it's time to start tearing down HAGAR. Gonna strip all the interior out and pull the body off the frame so the body shop can start working on all his modifications. "Bob" off the rear top, repair all the cancer, make doors removable (like a Jeep), complete with Dark Desert Tan Line-X inside and out. Then I'll install custom roll bar, 4" fender flares and snorkel. Body installed on frame with 2" lift.

While body is in shop I plan to clean up and strengthen frame, then coat with POR-15. Fix all oil leaks and clean up wiring harness removing all un-needed (emissions) connections. Install new front bumper w/ 9000 Lb. winch and new rear pipe bumper.

All this is new to me, any body have some helpful words of wisdom for me?

Thanks!

Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105310 11/01/19 08:26 PM
Tuxedo_Ranch Offline OP
Finally got the '87 Ranger completed and running like a top for now. Finally get to move back to HAGAR, HELGA and Lucky Eddie.

Thanks to Russel's "rxinhed" for his advise about the GEN2 UCA's. What a dramatic difference it made to Hagar. Now he's standing tall and level all the way around.

I've been looking at somethings for the motor (not sure I want to go with the diesel swap anymore) but have a lot of questions about the rest of the drive-train. I'm thinking I may just rebuild the existing motor with upgrades this winter and add a turbo.

How much HP will the drive train in a GEN 1 Raider withstand before it is advisable to upgrade it to something more durable? I found a website (racetep.com) where I can get complete turbo systems specifically for the Raider/Montero 2.6. The smallest upgrade is to 160hp w/ 170 Ft Lbs of torque all the way up to 220hp w/ 200 Ft Lbs of torque. I'm not looking to completely change the drive train at this time, I just want to get the most out of it that I can without causing major headaches.

I'm sure someone out there has figured all this out by now. I looked at the "Turbo Upgrade" on the Tech Page but it all talks about using a donor Starion and it's fuel injection system.

THANKS!

Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105314 11/05/19 01:56 AM
0778drz110 Offline
Body Damage is Cool
I believe the 4cyl 5speed trans is considered to be pretty weak. Input shaft problems as I recall even on original Raiders.

Though I did run 38" tires for a while on mine and didn't have a problem other than a smoked clutch. But your driving makes a huge difference on it's reliability.

The underpowered engine is what makes it fun!

'88 Raider, 33" Maxxis, 2" body lift, 10K winch
Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105316 11/06/19 02:35 AM
rxinhed Offline
Trail Leader
If you are considering a turbo swap, it's time for you to look for a 4-cyl Montero Sport with the stick....uses the 2.4L Sirius engine and a V5MT-1 or -2 trans. The 2.4L 4g64 block can be matched with a 4g63 head and then you have opened the EVO world. Some of those folks are running 900 rwhp, that you won't need in a SWB. The later trans is good to about 300hp.

Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105448 01/08/20 04:21 PM
Tuxedo_Ranch Offline OP
Well all, I haven't posted any information for a while so thought I'd give a quick update.

-Mama found out what it was gonna cost to do the turbo upgrade on HAGAR and put the brakes on that idea like she was heading for a concrete wall. (a definite "NO") Had to spend the money for her to have a total ankle replacement instead on Dec 16th.

-Have spent the last 3 weeks cleaning up my equipment shed to use as a fab shop and move everything out and around in my garage so I have space to set up a serious mechanic space to work on everything.

-My oldest son was heading back to town in his XTerra for work and had a flat. Changed the tire in a hurry and didn't get the lug nuts tight enough. By the time I seen it the rim was wobbled out and the studs were half worn through. When I was tearing it down I noticed the axle seal was leaking and figured I'd replace it while I was there. Had to press off the retainer and bearing to get to the seal, so they got new also. Spent a day and half pulling it apart, finding parts and putting it back together.

Needless to say, I haven't had a lot of time to put towards HAGAR, HELGA or LUCKY EDDY. But I am currently working on a deal for an '89 Raider in Texas that I think has a V6 motor with it and the body looks to be in excellent shape (rust free). If I can get a deal made on it, I may have to sell HELGA to pay for everything I'm wanting to do. And that's okay because it would be nice to have another Raider owner in the area.

Hope everyone had a Wonderful Holiday Season and that 2020 gives you all everything you need.

LTUX

Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105472 02/14/20 04:18 AM
Tuxedo_Ranch Offline OP
Haven’t posted anything for a while, been really busy with work and cleaning/organizing my garage to do mechanic projects and setting up a fabrication area in my shed.

Bought some LED lights and started installing them in HELGA. Couldn’t seem to figure out how the plug was wired so I got out the electrical shop manual (Thanks to the link found here) and started tracing things out. When I thought I had things figured out I couldn’t believe it and had to have a electronics buddy check my findings.

The complete lighting system switches based on the ground (negative) and LED lights have circuit boards with diodes that won’t allow that. Bought a 5 post relay and had to do a simple flip at the factory headlight relay then VIOLA!!! They work like a dream.

Man, those things are a LOT brighter. If you do this just make sure you re-align your headlights are be prepared for people to flash their brights at you all the time.

If someone is interested I can draw the changes I made on the headlight circuit drawing (I think) and post it here. Just let me know.

Party on Wayne!

Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105474 02/15/20 03:53 PM
JohnnyBfromPeoria Offline
Trail Leader
I haven't been on here in a long time, but decided to take a look this morning and saw this thread. Good to see someone else with an appreciation for these first gen trucks.

The wiring diagram you offer to post would be a very handy thing since the negative-switching ground has given lots of folks issues in the past. I haven't ever done LED headlights, but every other exterior bulb I can touch , I like to switch out. Ballast resistors are necessary to keep the turn signals functioning correctly, and as a tip, I've found that adding one per side, but only on the front still works to avoid hyperflashing but speeds up the flash rate acceptably. Upgrading the dome light inside helps a bunch, too (festoon bulb). I get all my bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com by the way. Great company.

Advice regarding the strength of the KM-145 manual that's behind the stock four cylinder engine is solid. One thing many mechanics and shade tree folks overlook is the absolute importance of keeping GL-5 gear lube OUT of the manual box. It requires GL-4 (Redline MT-90 on Amazon is my go-to) to avoid deterioration of the brass synchros used in the older designs. Pay strict attention to the distinction in the factory service manual about which system uses GL-4 and make no substitutes.

Since you're in mud country, try to keep an eye out for a junkyard first gen with a limited slip rear end, identifiable by stickers in the cab or on the diff advising the use of an additive to use in the pumpkin for the clutches within. Your V-6 model(s) can even use a Gen 2's air locker, although it is a couple of inches wider, but it barely shows. If you do ever upgrade it, get the Gen 2's trailing arms and the coil springs - it'll ride even better since the Gen 2's springs are progressively wound and make it ride like buttah.

Don't settle for just flushing your radiators. As long as they are the original all metal ones, you can and should have them rodded out by a radiator shop. You just can't flush them enough to clean the individual tubes in there. Our local shops do it these days for a touch over $100.

Party on, Garth.

John B.

'87 Raider 2.6 Turbo Auto, Under Construction
'95 Montero SR, 35x12.5/15 BFG M/T KM-2's, Rock sliders, Qtr panel chop, gas tank lift, 2" BL, Aisins
'83 Dodge Power Ram, 31x10.5 on SR wheels, lifted a touch
'04 Cadillac XLR
'03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105476 02/24/20 07:47 AM
R
rascott Offline
Rock Warrior
i'm agreeing with jb- that ground trigger can be a mind blower 'till you "get" it, and your circuit drawing can jog someone's brain as they add accessories to the lighting ciruits.
my suzuki is wired that way.
i like your style, and have been following your progress.
richard

'89 kick w/some modifications.
some intentional.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.
kj6esv
Re: 87 Gen1 Rebuild in Kansas [Re: Tuxedo_Ranch] #1105478 02/26/20 12:22 AM
Tuxedo_Ranch Offline OP
Whaahooo, I finally got the wiring directions for LED headlights written up.

BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM!
It's in a PDF format and the smallest I can make it is 2.1Mb, so I don't know how to post it.

Can someone tell me how to get these directions posted on this thread or the TECH page, I know some folks are having trouble with this. I'm glad to send it to whom ever, I just don't have a clue.

Thanks,
LTUX

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.