Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Happy Turkey Day
by OldColt - 11/26/21 02:15 PM
OG folks chime in!
by motero - 11/22/21 08:28 PM
JK Check Engine Light - P0300
by 4x4Wire - 11/17/21 09:08 AM
Montero Sport oil filter bracket
by rxinhed - 11/15/21 04:13 AM
1991 Diesel Swap
by rxinhed - 11/15/21 02:53 AM
Monty upgrade ideas wanted
by rxinhed - 11/15/21 02:51 AM
Meetings and things
by rxinhed - 11/06/21 02:50 AM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Happy Turkey Day
by rxinhed - 11/25/21 08:55 PM
1991 Diesel Swap
by guzzilapd - 11/11/21 03:49 PM
JK Check Engine Light - P0300
by 4x4Wire - 11/09/21 12:31 AM
Transmission Woes
by jdavis - 10/26/21 03:16 AM
Montero Sport oil filter bracket
by OldColt - 09/27/21 04:16 PM
1989 Montero AT to MT swap
by BrooklynOpus - 09/20/21 03:28 PM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 86 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,247
Posts1,081,577
Members15,224
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: 4x4Wire] #1106025 03/09/21 05:05 PM
OldColt Offline
Roll Me Over
We do thank you John. I know from my forums the fade out was and is disheartening.
I stopped by here intermittently Saw Phil and Russell and a few others keeping the Mitsu side afloat. Read a few posts to see if I could step in and offer anything but never found the hook to dig in.
Myself I just have not had anything of content to provide here, Just busy in other directions, Back to boats and aircraft.
Projects for here, I do now and have more for the near future. Projects no one else has done nor will even try to do.

Cheers, Charlie
If It ain't broke, Modify it!
87 Montero turbo Converted back in Spring1989
95 Montero SR 3.8 DOHC Only one?
93 Pajero 3 door 6G75 Mivec with paddle shifted 5 speed
Then a Gen2 SR with full coil independent suspension.
Support our sponsors
Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: PHIL_] #1106031 03/10/21 06:31 AM
PA_JERO Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Originally Posted by PHIL_
Well it's all worth it just to get Pa_Jero back online! Hey buddy! How's it going? Long time no hear! How's the fam?

@OSO: LOL!

@OldColt: I'm right there with you. I'm an admin on several boards too, incl the BIG montero board. I've never liked the FB groups, but consider them a necessary evil. Maybe they're NOT so necessary? Time will tell, I guess?

Haha, I couldn't ever get trapped into the black hole that Facebook is. I pop into some of the forums here and there to check in, but not much happening these days. Fam is great Phil thanks, keeping the kids alive and doing what I can to keep the wife happy, really not sure why she puts up with me. Ha! She keeps me updated on the Facebook side here and there. I hope you and your family are doing well Phil. Did I hear correctly... you have no more Montero?

Glad to see all these old timers around here again.

OSO, come buy this 96 SR from me.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT ABOUT BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: PHIL_] #1106032 03/10/21 02:21 PM
OldColt Offline
Roll Me Over
Well it is logical that Phil moved away from Monti's and Pajeros, he no longer had our masses to be drooling over his "Toys".
To me the overall internet experience is depressing, not just Farcebook.
Oh what I would give to be able to buy an Pajero EVO, I cant buy one but I can build the next best thing.

Recently when I introduced my Mivec powered Pajero with a paddleshifted five speed there was way to much negativity and claims it can not be done or it has been done. Well I have not yet found anyone who has installed a 3.8 Mivec with it's own PCM and wire harness and not one controlling the Gen 3 five speed Asian transmission.
I just stopped wasting my time posting on FB or forums.

Heck my next project is a full independent suspension under a Gen2 body. And this will still have selectable hubs. I am not sure I even want to put this project online since I doubt more than a dozen people can fathom a gen 3 front end that has selectable hubs, I do have one.

The whole thing is our society is dumb.

My last five years I am back to running an Experimental Aircraft Association chapter. And yes I am also building another airplane that I have designed, my 7th.
My wife and I are frustrated, we schedule an event, This example we are going to get hundreds of the local public to the airport for what we call a "Young Eagles Day rally" we provide free / no cost flights for youth. Cool, flights start at 9AM. My wife and I are at the airport at 0630 to setup. Sometimes a family shows up early and they are the only ones helping with 10X20 canopies, banquet tables and chairs. About 9 o'clock our pilots show up, and they say "We're ready"
Someone else will be conducting our events from now on.

Sorry for the rant, but it is getting hard to have fun, at least up here is the Northeast. Maybe around here with every empty house having being sold to Californians and New Yorker's we will get some people who will stand and think, just maybe.

Cheers, Charlie
Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: OldColt] #1106036 03/10/21 06:14 PM
rxinhed Offline
Trail Leader
Originally Posted by OldColt
"... and they say "We're ready..."

Are pilots not the new divas?

Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: PHIL_] #1106037 03/10/21 06:41 PM
OldColt Offline
Roll Me Over
Ok, this is where there has been true enthusiasm over the decades, and you have been one of the best for keeping this enthusiasm.

And pilots, they are a weird species.

Cheers, Charlie
Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: PHIL_] #1106043 03/11/21 01:42 AM
PHIL_ Offline OP
Trail Leader
It's true. I sold my ultimate auction find last fall, even though I never ever thought I would. Many reasons why, but ultimately it wasn't practical to daily drive when I'd need fuel every second day, and premium at that. So it sat most of the time. And for camping adventures where there was woods and wheeling involved... well that just didn't seem right, with plastic bumpers that are no longer available. So again it sat. If I had lots of money and room I'd still have it. And always have it.

Instead, I decided to look for another dream rig I had always lusted after. The sale of the pajevo netted me a very tidy profit, even after five years of ownership, so I was able to afford a 4 door 70 series with the fabled 1HZ (still made to this day) diesel. Needed lots of work, which was exactly what I needed - a project. It's slow, not shiny, not zippy. But its bulletproof, body on frame, solid axled, leaf sprung, 24 volt, with inline 6 cyl diesel, PTO winch etc. and it has just enough gen1 Pajero cues that it keeps me happy. Also has factory dual bouncies. But with rear discs, so at least I'll retain some sanity. smile

This is also a jdm market only rig, so it's a four door suv much like the storied Troopy, but without the high roof. I can post a picture, but only if you REALLY REALLY want me to, this being sacred Mitsu ground and all..

Kevin, please say hello to your wife too - she's an awesome gal, just like mine, and they are angels to put up with us, but let's call ourselves lucky.

Charlie - I've always loved your crazy concoctions, and can't wait to see where they go.

Russ - sorry we left you here by the fire so long. Appreciate you and John keeping it stoked for us. I'll stick around as long as you guys don't mind the occasional story about my alternate brand rigs...?

To the rest of you OG's - fellas... its been too long. CHEERS!

Last edited by PHIL_; 03/11/21 01:43 AM.

1991 HZJ77, 1999 KZJ90, 1999 UZJ100, 1992 M101CDN2
https://www.thegearheadproject.com/category/jdm-journeys/

Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: PHIL_] #1106044 03/11/21 04:29 AM
rxinhed Offline
Trail Leader
Phil, I think I can speak for the group: No pictures, no proof.

Show us the goods, buddy.

While everyone has been away, and I've been s....o.... lonely, I have started a cast iron cookware restoration hobby. Smaller than cars, easier to fix, same low profit margin as Mitsubishi parts. And, bicycles. Dan was great. He picked up my StingRay and delivered it to the Ranch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Russell

Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: PHIL_] #1106047 03/11/21 05:31 AM
4x4Wire Offline
Trail Leader
I have been dabbling in a few cast iron pieces over the past few years.

While I have been using a couple of CI skillets and Dutch Ovens for a number of years, I have accumulated a few unique pieces of CI. Mainly, CI cornbread pans.

Bikes, yeah, I have one but seldom ride it. In fact, the 21-speed mountain bike hasn't seen more than a few hundred feet of travel in more than 8 years. Fixed it up to ride but hit some medical issues that halted that effort.

Got the rotator cuff and torn bicep tendon repaired and went on to ruptured disc in neck repair with a titanium plate holding a couple vertebra in position.

So, I like 4 wheels and a roll cage...

Then, there is that move a year ago that relocated me from sunny (expensive) southern California to the variable climate of middle Tennessee.

So, still have my Jeep(s) and looking to doing more than grocery store runs.

Jeep(s) as a 1994 YJ that has been modified to the point that it is still road capable and really great in extreme off-road situations. Then, there is the 2010 JK that sports the basic mods to allow 35" tires and low (really low) range transfer case with electric lockers front and rear.

Life is great and I am still an advocate to access to public lands and serving as President of the Blue Ribbon Coalition which is a public lands access advocate organization.

So, if you like places to drive your 4x4s where you can use 4x4 and suspension flex, I'm working to make that a reality.

John Stewart
Editor - 4x4Wire.com
Editor - 4x4Voice
Editor - MUIRNet-News
President - BlueRibbon Coalition
Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: PHIL_] #1106053 03/11/21 02:22 PM
PHIL_ Offline OP
Trail Leader
[Linked Image]

Its a garage queen so far. Bought it in October with some rust on the lower regions of the body under the factory flares, but the underside and and chassis had been media blasted and por15'ed, so it looks like new underneath. I've been restoring the body thus far. Its been a fun learning process...

I'm one parts order away from finally getting it back out on the road... metal dash, no airbags, no ABS, manual trans... so fun!

1991 HZJ77, 1999 KZJ90, 1999 UZJ100, 1992 M101CDN2
https://www.thegearheadproject.com/category/jdm-journeys/

Re: OG folks chime in! [Re: PHIL_] #1106061 03/11/21 06:15 PM
rxinhed Offline
Trail Leader
Awesome, Phil. My favorite Mitsubishi vehicle would be the pickup version, with a service body.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.