Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums


Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Smoking winch
by 4x4Wire - 04/12/21 01:04 AM
Mitsu shift shaft, Sport or Gen 3
by OldColt - 04/08/21 12:07 PM
suzi the psychic
by rascott - 04/08/21 06:06 AM
Power steering pump leak.
by rascott - 04/08/21 05:37 AM
replace master cylinder
by nvmonty - 04/08/21 03:21 AM
Ignition Coil
by Trailmonkey - 04/06/21 06:18 PM
OG folks chime in!
by OldColt - 04/06/21 04:38 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Smoking winch
by OldColt - 04/10/21 07:54 PM
Power steering pump leak.
by Trailmonkey - 04/08/21 04:18 AM
replace master cylinder
by nvmonty - 04/07/21 05:29 AM
CAD delete, a bit different way
by OldColt - 04/06/21 08:58 AM
Mitsu shift shaft, Sport or Gen 3
by OldColt - 04/05/21 12:10 AM
Gen 1 starting issue
by Oso - 04/01/21 05:28 AM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 175 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,201
Posts1,081,246
Members15,181
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gen 1 starting issue #1106153 04/01/21 05:28 AM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 683
Oso Offline OP
Rock Warrior
*****
My rig is having intermittent issues when starting. I'll turn the key, hear a loud click in the pass foot well (MPI relay Im guessing) and the engine won't fire - or even turn. It's like a stone dead battery situation and does absolutely nothing. Sometimes it takes an excess of 15 attempts before it will fire up. Ive gotten used to this happening intermittently, and it will always start eventually. My daughter is finally old enough to go exploring with me to the far reaches of the middle of nowhere so when i have to try more than 5 times i pucker a bit, and she gives me a look that is far too much like her mother's glare. Lord Trunks provided me an elegant wiring solution that involved a relay in the striating circuit. It solved the issue for many years until an electrical fire took it out in 2019. Electrical is the bane of my existence and now i can't recall the exact fix and I know if i attempt it with out being sure I'll burn the damned thing to the ground. I've been trying to remember but all of those blows to the head in my younger days has taken a serious toll on my memory. I know we discussed this a decade ago but the search function is only bringing up things as old as 2016.

any ideas?

TIA


90 LWB - Not your average bear

"You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't." - John Prine
Support our sponsors
Re: Gen 1 starting issue [Re: Oso] #1106154 04/01/21 09:19 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,896
sparkem Offline
Trail Leader
***
How old is the battery. I had a gen 2 3.0 in the past that was doing the same thing. The battery was an older Optima at the time. It turns out the cranking amps had dropped over the years. Once I got a new battery the problem went away.

Another thing to check; how clean or corroded are all the connections? Not just at the battery but also at the termination of the ground wires.


I just want to tell you both good luck, and we're all counting on you.
Re: Gen 1 starting issue [Re: Oso] #1106155 04/01/21 01:31 PM
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 114
T
Trailmonkey Offline
Wheeler
Dont think its the same prob, but mine would click click like a bad battery/starter at random, turns out if the shifter (auto) is pushed hard into park it does this, lightly pull back and it turns over, not sure if its a linkage or wiring thing.

Hope you find the problem.


91 (Gen1) Monty, 3.0L V6, Auto 4 Door.
Disabled Driver.
Re: Gen 1 starting issue [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106156 04/02/21 05:56 AM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 683
Oso Offline OP
Rock Warrior
*****
Originally Posted by sparkem
How old is the battery. I had a gen 2 3.0 in the past that was doing the same thing. The battery was an older Optima at the time. It turns out the cranking amps had dropped over the years. Once I got a new battery the problem went away.

Another thing to check; how clean or corroded are all the connections? Not just at the battery but also at the termination of the ground wires.

battery is new, wiring is new - all marine grade tinned wire with extra grounds.


Originally Posted by Trailmonkey
Dont think its the same prob, but mine would click click like a bad battery/starter at random, turns out if the shifter (auto) is pushed hard into park it does this, lightly pull back and it turns over, not sure if its a linkage or wiring thing.

Hope you find the problem.


clean your neutral safety switch and it will start perfectly. sadly this is not the issue on mine.


90 LWB - Not your average bear

"You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't." - John Prine
Re: Gen 1 starting issue [Re: Oso] #1106158 04/02/21 07:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 114
T
Trailmonkey Offline
Wheeler
Yeah im dealing with wiring problems myself, takes a Japanese Electrical Engineer do know whats what on these things, well guess we get this when its a Japanese Electrical Engineer who wired it .
Haha watch American redneck pull hair out over this.. ha haha.


91 (Gen1) Monty, 3.0L V6, Auto 4 Door.
Disabled Driver.
Re: Gen 1 starting issue [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106160 04/03/21 01:00 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,896
sparkem Offline
Trail Leader
***
How old is the starter?


I just want to tell you both good luck, and we're all counting on you.
Re: Gen 1 starting issue [Re: Oso] #1106161 04/03/21 03:17 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,348
MarkG Offline
Body Damage is Cool
*****
There are a number of connections between the ignition switch and the starter relay. Some folks had success by cleaning all the connections. Occasionally the resolution was to run a new wire from the ignition switch and the relay.


Mitsu # 6 - 98 6G72 Montero Sport, Locking Rear Diff, Aisin Manual Hubs, 31x10.5

Mitsu # 7 - 02 6G74 Montero Limited
Re: Gen 1 starting issue [Re: MarkG] #1106168 04/03/21 10:11 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 683
Oso Offline OP
Rock Warrior
*****
Originally Posted by sparkem
How old is the starter?

starter is gem relatively fresh. maybe 10k since being rebuilt bu a local rockstar shop.



Originally Posted by MarkG
There are a number of connections between the ignition switch and the starter relay. Some folks had success by cleaning all the connections. Occasionally the resolution was to run a new wire from the ignition switch and the relay.


connections are cleaned. the wire run is what I'm thinking of. was it just a wire from the ignition switch to another relay and to the starter soleniod?

probably a stupid question but I f$&* ing hate electrical so much i have mental block when it comes to figuring this stuff out.


90 LWB - Not your average bear

"You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't." - John Prine
Re: Gen 1 starting issue [Re: Oso] #1106171 04/04/21 01:01 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,298
Mudraider Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Originally Posted by Oso
Originally Posted by sparkem
How old is the starter?

starter is gem relatively fresh. maybe 10k since being rebuilt bu a local rockstar shop.



Originally Posted by MarkG
There are a number of connections between the ignition switch and the starter relay. Some folks had success by cleaning all the connections. Occasionally the resolution was to run a new wire from the ignition switch and the relay.


connections are cleaned. the wire run is what I'm thinking of. was it just a wire from the ignition switch to another relay and to the starter soleniod?

probably a stupid question but I f$&* ing hate electrical so much i have mental block when it comes to figuring this stuff out.


The extra wire operating a Ford solenoid is what you are talking about. There are a lot of different Ford solenoids. The part number from the original post would be handy. It all comes down to resistance over the length of the wire. This old fix, did you replace the whole harness? Removing the added in solenoid.


89 SWB, V-6 5SPD, OME Shocks, 16.5X37's, 2"BL, SR axle, Gen2 brakes, Lincoln w/Superwinch
Re: Gen 1 starting issue [Re: Oso] #1106174 04/04/21 02:04 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,298
Mudraider Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Here is a great link explaining the whole changeover. I remember having done this to the original MudRaider, an 87 auto truck. Someone explained it at the time, maybe LordTrunks, I dunno, but it was basically resistance in that 18ga or 20ga wire running from the ignition switch, over to the starter. The power going thru wasn't enough to kick the started. It seemed like it took maybe a half hour to do. I'm pretty sure I used a 3 position solenoid. I took the original spade connector off the starter and connected it to the small ring terminal on the Ford solenoid.which was mounted on the wiper motor transmission cover right there by the battery. Then i ran a 14ga wire from one of the bid ring terminals on the solenoid, down to the starter, connecting it to the .250 spade terminal. The other big ring terminal i ran another 14ga wire from the battery to the other big ring terminal on the Ford solenoid. Here is a good article about it.

https://startersolenoid.net/how-to-wire-starter-relay/


89 SWB, V-6 5SPD, OME Shocks, 16.5X37's, 2"BL, SR axle, Gen2 brakes, Lincoln w/Superwinch
Page 1 of 2 1 2







4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |


OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.2.34 Page Time: 0.028s Queries: 16 (0.009s) Memory: 2.8934 MB (Peak: 3.1634 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2021-04-12 21:22:16 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS