Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Thank you to John Stewart
by OldColt - 09/27/21 10:59 PM
Scar Stolen
by JAVYPRO - 09/27/21 10:01 PM
New forum ?
by JAVYPRO - 09/27/21 09:57 PM
Different manual transmission for the 3.0L 6G72?
by OldColt - 09/27/21 06:17 PM
Montero Sport oil filter bracket
by OldColt - 09/27/21 04:16 PM
89 SWB v6 - 4 wheel Alignment??
by OldColt - 09/27/21 07:07 AM
Frozen Tie Rod Ends? 89 SWB V6
by polar - 09/24/21 08:45 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Montero Sport oil filter bracket
by OldColt - 09/27/21 04:16 PM
89 SWB v6 - 4 wheel Alignment??
by polar - 09/26/21 04:39 PM
Frozen Tie Rod Ends? 89 SWB V6
by polar - 09/24/21 08:45 PM
1989 Montero AT to MT swap
by BrooklynOpus - 09/20/21 03:28 PM
Want to do do a shackle lift but having trouble!
by Colombia - 09/02/21 04:19 PM
So you want to Fuel Inject your Montero?
by ChrisCosta416 - 08/30/21 10:51 PM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 83 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,241
Posts1,081,528
Members15,209
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106393 07/26/21 12:05 AM
T
Trailmonkey Offline OP
Wheeler
OK sun setting and it's cooled off.

Got 3 codes.

#1 Oxygen Sensor.
#2 Crank Angle Sensor.
#3 Fuel Pump.

I will check connections on all 3 first, but #1-#3 are replacement stuff, but the crank angle sensor.. is it meaning the optical reader in the distributor ? Or a sensor at the front of the crank ? I'm looking it up..

91 (Gen1) Monty, 3.0L V6, Auto 4 Door.
Disabled Driver.
Support our sponsors
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106394 07/26/21 01:22 AM
T
Trailmonkey Offline OP
Wheeler
Was just reading a bad crank sensor can cause a lack of power to the fuel pump ?
You guys remember I had alot of my ignition go out, ecu, coil, igniter.. may have messed up the crank sensor as well ? On this model (1990) it says optical reader that reads the slots in the rotating disc. I looked and didn't see signs of water or dirt so I left it be.

Disabled Driver.
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106404 08/06/21 01:48 PM
Mudraider Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Originally Posted by Trailmonkey

As for wiring connections, I've called myself looking, wiggling wires and have only noticed some connection covers are dry and cracked, but the plug and wire under it looks OK. But I will start check these more, as with all those relays under the dash, like did they try and use as many as they could or what ?

Lol. Electrical connections aren't a visual thing. You are using the Manual. Check out the Electrical FSM, you'll find a section at the beginning that tells about disassembly and messing with the terminals. Your trucks problems are intermittent and all over the board. Signs of lack of electrical signal getting to the computer. Good luck.

89 SWB, V-6 5SPD, OME Shocks, 16.5X37's, 2"BL, SR axle, Gen2 brakes, Lincoln w/Superwinch
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Mudraider] #1106408 08/07/21 04:17 PM
T
Trailmonkey Offline OP
Wheeler
Originally Posted by Mudraider
Originally Posted by Trailmonkey

As for wiring connections, I've called myself looking, wiggling wires and have only noticed some connection covers are dry and cracked, but the plug and wire under it looks OK. But I will start check these more, as with all those relays under the dash, like did they try and use as many as they could or what ?

Lol. Electrical connections aren't a visual thing. You are using the Manual. Check out the Electrical FSM, you'll find a section at the beginning that tells about disassembly and messing with the terminals. Your trucks problems are intermittent and all over the board. Signs of lack of electrical signal getting to the computer. Good luck.

That's where I was reading that the crank position sensor (distributor) can cause bad ecu signals and therefore swings of voltage to the fuel pump and may also mess with timing advance...
I'll put the new distributor in and see if I need a new fuel pump or not.

And yeah when it cools down I will check connections for voltage..
Thanks MudRaider, hope to meet you one day..

Disabled Driver.
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106413 08/13/21 03:32 AM
T
Trailmonkey Offline OP
Wheeler
Not going to say it's fixed this time till I drive it more, new distributor installed, timing set to as close to 5* as I could with the plug on firewall grounded, plugged the idle control unit back up and it seems to be running right, it did do it again after I installed the new distributor but the timing was way off, hasn't done it so far now.

Disabled Driver.
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106439 08/21/21 04:03 PM
T
Trailmonkey Offline OP
Wheeler
About to go and put a timing light on it and wait for it to start messing up again and see if it's the timing going crazy that causing the problem. If so is there anything other than the distributor and ecu that would make the timing fluctuate ?
I replaced the distributor and nothing changed, so a bad ecu ? Stupid me can't find the receipt for it so the chance of taking it back is very low, It a freshly reman unit. I even took the relay apart and checked, all looked new inside, fine sand papered the contacts and it's still acting up.

Update later.

Disabled Driver.
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106441 08/22/21 02:48 AM
T
Trailmonkey Offline OP
Wheeler
Timing stayed true as it idled and started running bad. Awesome.
Checked the FPR and unplugged the vacuum line and capped the nipple on manifold and it idled perfect and not once stumbled. Took it for a short test drive and had hardly and take off power but ran fine, so I'm 95% sure I've found my issue. I've got a new one already so we will see what happens when I replace it.
Fuel pump has been replaced before I got the truck so I think that's good as well as the filter.
Let's hope this is it.

Disabled Driver.
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106446 08/24/21 05:26 PM
T
Trailmonkey Offline OP
Wheeler
New pressure regulator, ran great at first, only when it completely warmed up (over 40 min of driving) it did it again.
I will replace fuel pump just to make sure, but is there a water temp sensor that tells the ecu to act differently and not the dummy light.
The deal on the TB that has the coolant lines and the idle valve. Could it be the issue or would that only effect idle ?
I've unplugged the idle adjustment motor before and nothing really changed.

By the way, after sitting for 30+ min the fuel rail still had lots of pressure, so that tells me I don't have a leaking injectors right ?
After running a while and take gas cap off there is no pressure so that's good.

When it acts up it acts like spark or injectors are cutting out and all over the place as in how bad it is, at idle it starts, studders, then almost dies only to pep back up, driving it ends up never clearing up, acts like fuel starvation, or spark being erratic, I've unplugged many things and checked and don't see bad or dirty wires, wiggled as many as I could see and nothing.
Would a failing O2 sensor cause it ? Guess I can atleast take it out and look at it.
If it wasn't so short I'd be pulling my hair out.

Disabled Driver.
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106468 09/04/21 12:59 AM
T
Trailmonkey Offline OP
Wheeler
Ends up.. it's the injectors. How many not sure but I got 6 reman Bosh units on the way. Along with a new O2 sensor just because.

Disabled Driver.
Re: Surging on acceleration. [Re: Trailmonkey] #1106470 09/06/21 04:09 AM
Oso Offline
Rock Warrior
Do yourself a favor and inspect the entire wiring harness- especially the spark plug wires and injector harness. Mitsu wire is prone to cracking - especially after 30 years in a hot engine compartment. Mostly you'll find the cracking near connectors. Cracks on the outside usual mean a mostly broken wire inside.

Remove your grounds and clean them well. Get em shiny. Then soak the harness connectors in vinegar overnight to get them clean. displace the moisture by blasting them out with electrical contact cleaner.

Bad injectors don't cause intermittent issues, rather, they are regular and predictable. Bad electrical signal that has to overcome resistance or broken strands in the wire will be intermittent.

But i'm just reiterating what Mudraider already told you. The problem is electrical,

HTH

90 LWB - Not your average bear

"You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't." - John Prine
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.