Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search 4x4Wire
Search E-Bay for your parts:
Search Amazon for your parts:

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Truck cut off; will not restart...
by rxinhed. 10/19/17 03:31 AM
3.5 hesitating hot or cold
by 3esso. 10/17/17 08:26 PM
Suspension been fitted now with photos
by 4runnernomore. 10/17/17 11:24 AM
CanCooker Recipe - October 2017
by 4x4Wire. 10/13/17 06:33 PM
PepBoys: 25% off Wagner Premium Brake Parts
by 4x4Wire. 10/10/17 06:25 PM
suzi the psychic
by rascott. 10/10/17 12:09 AM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
3.5 hesitating hot or cold
by 3esso. 10/17/17 08:24 PM
CanCooker Recipe - October 2017
by 4x4Wire. 10/13/17 06:33 PM
PepBoys: 25% off Wagner Premium Brake Parts
by 4x4Wire. 10/10/17 06:25 PM
FS - 1980 D50 2wd
by rxinhed. 10/07/17 02:50 AM
FS - 1989 Power Ram 50
by rxinhed. 10/07/17 02:40 AM
Battery and Brake lights on
by toyomorph. 10/04/17 11:52 PM
4x4 Gallery
Flex test after suspension mods
Clearance check!
Testing the new Kenda Klever 31x10.50x15
My '88
4x4Wire YJ
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 162 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics137,648
Posts1,078,995
Members14,699
Most Online581
Apr 3rd, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#394514 - 02/06/04 08:08 PM Search Tips  
little_joe  Offline
Former Admin
Holly Springs, North Cackalack... *****
Using the new and improved Search feature on our forums has elicited some questions. Here is a great post on Tips form our friends at ThreadsDev.

The new and improved Search Feature in UBB.Threads 6.4 is very powerful, however if you're not familiar with how to use it properly, it may not yield the results you are looking for.

To Perform a Search:
  • Go to the Search Page
  • Select the Category, Forum or Forums that you would like to search from the left.
    - Selecting a Category will search all forums in that category.
    - Selecting one forum will search in just that forum
    - Selecting multiple forums will search only withing those selected forums
  • On the right, to search a keyword enter it into the box. You can click "Advanced Search Tips" for more help.
    - Entering a single keyword will search for that word.

- Entering 2 or more words will search for each word, as if there were an OR operator. So entering peanut butter will search for posts containing peanut OR butter

- Entering 2 or more words WITH PLUS SIGNS will search with an AND operator. So entering +peanut +butter will search for posts that contain peanut AND butter but they do NOT have to be together.

- Entering 2 or more words IN QUOTE MARKS will search for the phrase. So entering "peanut butter" will search for posts that contain the PHRASE peanut butter and will not return the post if it contains only one of the words.

- Entering 2 or more words with A MINUS sign will exclude words from the search. So entering +peanut -butter will search for posts which have the word peanut in them and DO NOT have the word butter.

- You can mix and match search operators. For example, entering "peanut butter" -jelly would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter and NOT containing the word jelly.

- Entering "peanut butter" +jelly -dance would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter and containing the word jelly but NOT containing the word dance.
  • Below that, you can choose whether you are searching the subject AND body of the posts, or just the subject.
  • Under the Username search section, you can enter a username here. This can be done with or without keywords. So entering "peanut butter" +jelly + dance in the keywords and the username of navaho would return posts containing the PHRASE peanut butter AND the word jelly AND the word dance posted by the user navaho.
  • Next select a date range. There's an option to search all posts, or search for posts newer or older than a certain criteria. Narrowing down the search time will increase the speed of the results.
  • Next you can choose how many results per page you wish to view.
  • As well as choose to view a profile of the body. If selected this will show you the first few words in the body of each post.
  • When you are finished, click "Submit".

How to courtesy of www.ThreadsDev.com

4x4Wire's Toyota Section
1995 FZJ80 LandCruiser - 3 locking diffs, +200k mi, JD HIR's, 285/75R16 Nitto TG's
Olde North State Cruisers

Support our sponsors

#394515 - 12/01/04 02:32 AM Re: Search Tips [Re: little_joe]  
CPOM  Offline
Body Damage is Cool
Boston (roslindale)
Also, you can use spaces with parentheses.

Like searching under "tera" will yeld results including
teradactyl, and laterally.

But searching under " tera " will only yield results where the word "tera" is its own word.

Last edited by CPOM; 12/01/04 02:35 AM.

CHRIS
98 Amigo, 92 Pup

need a pickup 1st gen fuel level sender

#394516 - 07/31/05 03:24 AM Re: Search Tips [Re: CPOM]  
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, i just tried all these suggestions for a suspension lift, nada! I guess no one has ever discussed that subject in the last 5 years here? Im doing something really wrong? Or the search is in PMS mode?

#394517 - 07/31/05 03:39 PM Re: Search Tips  
Jim_Paget  Offline

Roll Me Over
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
What, specifically, is it that you are looking for? I just did a search on the string "suspension lift" (entered with the quotes) on the Isuzu Forums as there were well over 125 hits in just 2005.

Jim Paget
88 YJ with a few changes

www.rrr4x4.com

#394518 - 10/23/06 06:25 PM Re: Search Tips [Re: little_joe]  
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use the search, it comes up with all sorts of unrelated stuff, and sometimes cannot find exactly what I want. I have tried all the different techniques and still cannot find some answers. I do apprecieate your sending me this info on using the seach, and it did help me, but in this case it just did not.

#394519 - 12/22/07 08:52 PM Re: Search Tips [Re: little_joe]  
captainpants  Offline
Need a Spot
All I want to do is change my water pump. When I use
"water pump" I get all kinds of crap that don't even mention water pumps. What gives? What was wrong with the old search engine that provided more good results than a guy could ever read. What am I doing wrong.

#394520 - 12/26/07 05:08 PM Re: Search Tips [Re: captainpants]  
Jim_Paget  Offline

Roll Me Over
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
If you post what you entered, perhaps I can help you. If you look at the date of Joe's post at the head of this thread, we have been using this search engine for over 3 years.

Without knowing what type of vehicle you drive, it is impossible to try the search for you. I did a trial search, assuming that you drove a Mitsubishi. I searched the Mitsubishi Tech Forum using the following search string

+"water pump" and got one page of hits that are all pretty relavent to the topic.

Note: you may have to search using both "water pump" and "waterpump" since not everyone spells the same way.

Jim Paget
88 YJ with a few changes

www.rrr4x4.com

#394521 - 09/24/10 06:01 PM Re: Search Tips [Re: little_joe]  
mecha_sky  Offline
Getting the Wheeling Fever
Portland, OR.
My beef with this new search feature is that numbers seem to return instant "No Matches". EX. I type in V6, choose the Isuzu Trooper forum and submit. I get ZERO results. There are lots of things I've tried to look up which have numbers in them. 2.8L, 4ZE1, 1989...and I either get no return or I get unrelated posts.

The final upsetting thing is that I'll try to do a manual search, after a while I'll assume that the topic or question has not been raised. I'll create a post and BAM! A moderator will say "Read this post, this topic has been covered." RATS!!! I tried to locate it, but failed to because of this uneffective search feature.

I wish I had a suggestion on how to fix it, but I'm not a GURU, and dont know anything about the programming of a search feature. I wish I could do more than critisize.

Cheers.

WANTED: 1989-1991 Isuzu Trooper or Mitsubishi Montero, V6, Manual 5-speed, 4 door, Stock, Good looking in and out, runner/driver good. PM w/ info please.

#394522 - 09/30/10 07:10 AM Re: Search Tips [Re: mecha_sky]  
4x4Wire  Offline

Trail Leader
Lakeside, CA ***
Have you tried the Google site search engine???

I agree the one that is forums specific has issues. That is why the secondary search was set up. It might pull in more hits...

Moderated by  4x4Wire 

OutdoorWire Websites

OutdoorWire

OutdoorWire

Portal page for OutdoorWire Access and Landuse Central Read More
4x4Voice

4x4Voice

California off road recreation news and information Read More
MUIRNet News

MUIRNet News

News and information about issues affecting outdoor recreation Read More
4x4Wire

4x4Wire

Off road recreation and 4x4 Technical news and information Read More
TrailTalk

TrailTalk

4x4Wire TrailTalk Forums for a variety of 4x4 tech information Read More

4x4Wire Tech Section

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep 4x4 Tech

Jeep Tech from JeepWire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More
Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu 4x4 Tech

Isuzu Tech from 4x4Wire - Mods, Maintenance, Tech and more... Read More

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook | Google+4x4Wire on Google+|

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2017 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.