Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Red Rock Canyon GP Comments Submitted
by 4x4Wire - 12/09/19 05:33 PM
How's everyone doing?
by KrzyDav - 12/09/19 09:54 AM
With Regrets...
by JAVYPRO - 12/07/19 02:16 PM
suzi the psychic
by rascott - 12/07/19 05:52 AM
'88 Raider maintenance and modifications
by Bigshankhank - 12/06/19 08:10 PM
Introduction & New Raider
by Bigshankhank - 12/06/19 08:06 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Red Rock Canyon GP Comments Submitted
by 4x4Wire - 12/09/19 05:33 PM
Hello All!
by B_Line - 12/04/19 04:46 PM
How's everyone doing?
by off-roader - 11/25/19 11:42 PM
With Regrets...
by rxinhed - 11/19/19 04:31 PM
Will Y pipe off 91? Mighty Max v6 fit my 89?
by polar - 11/17/19 06:40 PM
4x4 Gallery
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
Flex test after suspension mods
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 396 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,076
Posts1,080,455
Members14,973
Most Online678
Dec 8th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
VSV for idle air bypass, 86 22RE - FIXED WITH PICTURES #614064 06/12/05 11:05 PM
TheBandit Offline OP
Rock Warrior
Noticed my idle doesn't change with the A/C on and it often dies when returning to idle with the A/C on. So I did some troubleshooting and found a few things.

-With vacuum applied to the bypass valve at the manifold, the idle speed increased.
-With a/c on, I get voltage at the vacuum solenoid valve (VSV) which is supposed to put vacuum to the bypass valve at the manifold
-With voltage applied to the VSV, no vacuum is applied through the VSV and there is no change in flow from port-to-port (I can blow in them and observe that nothing changes)
-There is no continuity through the VSV

From these observations, I conclude the VSV is faulty. Sound right?

Has anyone replaced the VSV and if so, where did you purchase the replacement? I hope this isn't an expensive item...

[color:"darkgreen"]1986 4Runner - 4" IFS - 63" Chevys - 33" ATs - 5.29s - Rear Detroit
Sliders - Kayline - Rebuilt 22RE - On Board Air AND Factory AC
www.xtremefabricator.com[/color]
From the Off-Road World
Re: VSV for idle air bypass, 86 22RE [Re: TheBandit] #614065 06/12/05 11:33 PM
4Crawler Offline
Web Wheeler
If there is no continuity through the coil, it is burned out. Junkyard is one source, or snag the one at the back of the valve cover that feeds the fuel pressure regulator. Take the vacuum inlet to it and run it directly to the FPR. Then move that VSV to where the AC one is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: VSV for idle air bypass, 86 22RE [Re: 4Crawler] #614066 06/13/05 02:24 AM
TheBandit Offline OP
Rock Warrior
What is the purpose of the VSV in line with the FPR (vacuum solenoid valve, fuel pressure rugulator)? Wondering why it's okay to bypass it.

Thanks for the tip.

[color:"darkgreen"]1986 4Runner - 4" IFS - 63" Chevys - 33" ATs - 5.29s - Rear Detroit
Re: VSV for idle air bypass, 86 22RE [Re: TheBandit] #614067 06/13/05 02:30 AM
4Crawler Offline
Web Wheeler
Supposed to fix some sort of hot start problem, only appears on 4x4 rigs, the 2WD 22REs lack it and run vacuum directly to the FPR. Idea being to not send vacuum to the FPR, boosting fuel pressure while starting, in hot conditions, preventing a vapor lock type problem. Mine has been bypassed for about 3 years now, works fine in hot weather.

The vacuum raises and lowers fuel pressure depending on engine load, high vacuum = low engine load = low fuel pressure. Low vacuum = high engine load = high fuel pressure. I eliminated the VSV to clean up the engine, gets rid of 1 vac line, one VSV and 2 wires.

The other place to look for a replacement (besides Toyota) is an automotive air conditioning shop. Aftermarket A/C systems will have generic VSVs and they will have replacements. At the worst, you'll have to splice the connector.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 06/13/05 03:16 AM.
Re: VSV for idle air bypass, 86 22RE [Re: 4Crawler] #614068 06/13/05 03:44 AM
TheBandit Offline OP
Rock Warrior
Thanks for the help 4crawler. I understand the need and function of a fuel pressure regulator, but I had no idea why you'd want to shut off vacuum to it. Should I just cut the wires to the FPR VSV and leave them open? Or will the ECU want a load between them?

Thanks!

Do you know how the power steering plays into the air bypass valve? It seems to get pre-throttle air from the bypass valve and deposit it into the plenum. Not sure how it works.

Re: VSV for idle air bypass, 86 22RE [Re: TheBandit] #614069 06/13/05 04:32 AM
4Crawler Offline
Web Wheeler
Cutting the vacuum (i.e. connecting the FPR to atmosphere) boosts the fuel pressure to the max while starting and for a short time after starting with a hot engine. During starting you have low vacuum anyway, so the only benefit is the boosted pressure for some time after starting. I left mine disconnected, some day I want to add an LED off that connector and actually see if and when it would ever come on.

P/S VSV works just like the A/C VSV, except it is pressure actuated vs. electrically actuated. P/S pump goes into high pressure mode (i.e. you are cranking the steering wheel at idle), valve opens, vacuum from the intake is passed to the idle up valve, is opens and passes air into the intake to boost idle speed.

My p/s pump has no VSV on it, so I have capped the two lines, inlet to the left, outpet to the idle-up valve to the right:

[Linked Image]

Re: VSV for idle air bypass, 86 22RE [Re: TheBandit] #614070 06/13/05 05:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: VSV for idle air bypass, 86 22RE #614071 06/14/05 12:14 AM
TheBandit Offline OP
Rock Warrior
Well, having read toys4me's post and considering I often drive in hot weather (the whole reason to have the A/C working properly!), I decided to keep the pressure regulator VSV.

For the idle up VSV, I went to the junkyard and found a suitable replacement. I found a 3.0 V6 4runner, which had a group of VSVs attached to the passenger side fender. Although there were several 3.0 V6 4runners at this junkyard, only one had a VSV with the same electrical connector as the one on my 22RE.

Here is where the idle up VSV is located. This is the part that was faulty:
[Linked Image]

I bought the replacement at a local junkyard. They didn't know what it was and wanted $25 for it. I told 'em Toyota only charged $15 for a new one. In truth I had no idea what Toyota charged for them and still don't, but the little bit of haggling got the price down to $10. It came with a bonus air bypass valve to boot (see picture below).

[Linked Image]

After loosely installing to see if it would work, I was pleased to see my idle increase after turning on the AC. So I set out to put the proper bracketry on it from the old unit.

Below you can see how the VSV disassembles. The bracketry is used to hold it together. Little tongs are spread out which hold it together. I squeezed them together to remove, then pulled the rest of the assembly apart just to take a peak. From left to right on the disassembled VSV: the black plastic piece makes up the manifold and contains the coil. Next the piece that slides inside is the part that actually blocks flow between the ports. A spring keeps it in the blocked position (until electricity is applied through the coil). Finally a vent piece is installed and sandwhiched between the bracketry.

[Linked Image]

After moving the 22RE bracket over the 3.0 VSV, I had to be creative respreading the tongs that held it together. I found a no1 philips screwdriver bit worked great. I put it between the tongs and hammered, spreading them apart and completing the swap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now that the idle up VSV works, I can put the AC on without fear of stalling! What a great fix that took less time than typing this post.

Finally, I have two questions:
-What idle up RPM is good for when the AC is running?
-Is the idle up VSV activated for anything other than the AC?

Re: VSV for idle air bypass, 86 22RE [Re: TheBandit] #614072 06/14/05 02:24 AM
4Crawler Offline
Web Wheeler
You set the idle up RPM to be somewhat more than the normal RPM (under load), then you also set the A/C amplifier RPM setting to just below the normal idle RPM. That way, A/C kicks on and speeds up the idle, if something doesn't work or the engine bogs down, the A/C amp cuts off the A/C. Nothing else turns on that VSV from what I can tell.

I've driven 3 summers now w/o the FPR VSV and have yet to notice any difference in starting, hot, cold, or otherwise. I still have the VSV in case it ever acts up, but have yet to re-install it.

And I do use my old A/C switch as a fast idle button, my A/C is inop. and partially removed. Handy little mod, just one jumper at the low pressure switch and push-button fast idle when needed.

Moderated by  4Crawler, 4x4Wire, kewlynx, Mike Bondi 

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.