Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Gen 2 UCA extended upper ball joints?
by Colombia - 05/24/22 03:28 AM
Blown Head Gasket - could use advice
by Runner-Man - 05/23/22 01:58 AM
Florida Mitsubishi 4X4 Fall Crawl 2022
by Mudraider - 05/16/22 04:50 PM
OG folks chime in!
by OldColt - 05/10/22 10:55 PM
RPM's fluctuate when turn signals/lights are on.
by Mudraider - 05/08/22 01:17 AM
the cold start shuffle got me
by Mudraider - 05/03/22 07:20 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Gen 2 UCA extended upper ball joints?
by Colombia - 05/24/22 03:28 AM
Blown Head Gasket - could use advice
by Runner-Man - 05/23/22 01:58 AM
Florida Mitsubishi 4X4 Fall Crawl 2022
by Mudraider - 05/16/22 04:50 PM
RPM's fluctuate when turn signals/lights are on.
by LarryJo - 04/30/22 04:40 PM
FS: 500,000 mile 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4X4
by atikovi - 04/29/22 03:56 AM
Check Engine Light Throttle Position Sensor:
by nvmonty - 04/28/22 04:34 AM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 86 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,274
Posts1,081,733
Members15,265
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Smog Help! Failed 3 times now keeps getting worse! [Re: canuck] #820266 06/21/07 03:48 AM
C
chuckelbarry Offline OP
Getting the Wheeling Fever
Looking at your results I'm kind of thinking your engine is running cool at idle causing a rich mixture as well. Take it out for a hard boot and see what temp gauge reads then see how much it cools down to at idle. But readings getting worse after a tune up etc doesn't make sense.

OK just went for a nice 30min drive( a hard drive)
Well the temp gauge on dash never made it to half way ever.

then i got home and let the truck idle for 10 min the gauge didn't change at all

[Linked Image]

just kinda stayed in this area once the truck was warmed up no matter what i did.

also i noticed when it was cold and i started to drive off i could here water trickling in to the heater core and hose under the dash. i have not had to top off the coolant at all so i am not losing any. must be some air trapped in the system. once the truck warmed up the sound went away.

So is the truck intended to be warmer at idle or at driving speeds?

From the Off-Road World
Re: Smog Help! Failed 3 times now keeps getting worse! [Re: chuckelbarry] #820267 06/21/07 06:12 PM
C
chuckelbarry Offline OP
So what i think i want is to find a shop with a gas analyzer that can tell me whats going on when i fix/change stuff.

Re: Smog Help! Failed 3 times now keeps getting worse! [Re: chuckelbarry] #820268 06/22/07 03:32 AM
M
myyota Offline
Try replacing the thermostat, its possible that yours is bad or even the wrong temperature.

Re: Smog Help! Failed 3 times now keeps getting worse! [Re: myyota] #820269 06/22/07 05:41 AM
C
chuckelbarry Offline OP
Try replacing the thermostat, its possible that yours is bad or even the wrong temperature.

Nope it a stock t stat and its working..

Well Well lookiy what I fould under my seat [Re: chuckelbarry] #820270 06/22/07 05:42 AM
C
chuckelbarry Offline OP
So i went to test the voltage on my O2 and look what i found under my seat. Not too sure when this happened.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OK with that fixed i started looking at other things. I looked at asv air injection system
According to the manual it says it should only open
A: when the engine is still cold below 95 degrees
B: when warm wen you let off the gas it opens op for a few seconds.

so that all checked out

checked the tps impedance it all looked happy

set the timing to 8

the idle rps are 800

tested the impedance at the Airflow meter it was all good

I have a few questions about the dashpot thing on the throttle body. the under hood sticker says "dashpot speed 2000 rpm" now from what i read int manual it says to cover the small hole on the inside of the thing and adjust the throttle stop till 2000 rps then uncover the hole on the dashpot and the motor should slowly go back idle. Yea right freaking right no matter how low i set the dashpot speed it hangs up and hold the idle up just higher then the set idle. if i slap the gas a few times or i pull up on the gas peddle can get it to drop back! so bad dash pot maybe ? but that wouldn't mess up my smog test results by that much having the idle up may 50 to 100 rpm? any way i adjusted the set stop to not really touch the broken dashpot. so i should get a constant idle speed. holy long winded post sorry about that i

Re: Smog Help! Failed 3 times now keeps getting worse! [Re: chuckelbarry] #820271 06/23/07 06:38 AM
Snowtoy Offline
Roll Me Over
My '90 3.0 didn't want to pass smog this year either for the first time in the 17yrs I have owned it, and it was also only failing at idle. It had less than 12k on it at the first test this year since I completely rebuilt the top end, replaced the O2, cat, and it did pass the '05 smog test fine a year after the rebuild. I also had a few loose header bolts, exhaust leaks and the egr valve copper tube's crush sleave never seated, the nut was to long. I fixed all of the leake and replaced the cat after the second failed test(fortunately my tech doesn't run it through until it is done). I told the tech everything that I had replaced/cleaned/checked for working and he said there wasn't much else to look at, and at idle it was still running rich, he bumnped the idle rpm up to 1050 and it dropped the HC's to under 90, still very high compared to past tests but enough to get it to pass.

I run a second temp gauge(sensor is between the t-stat and the rad), out going water at idle is 210*, which should be warm enough for the engine to be at running temps, I also have an e-fan, but it runs all the time, so I doubt yours turning on and off is enough to cool down the engine too much. Th only thing I haven't checked that I thought of after the test was the cold start injector. I thought maybe it could be leaking fuel into the engine all the time causing it to run rich, asked the service counter at the dealer and they had no clue, said bring it and we will look at it.

I believe that Davepet a member here is a smog tech, shoot him an email and see what he has to offer.

More than tread lightly. Leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
'90 X-cab 4.88's 33 BFG AT's, rr ARB, Headers, Ignition upgrade, cold air induction.
'91 X-cab 5.29's 315's BFG MT's, rr ARB, custom bumper and flatbed
Re: Smog Help! Failed 3 times now keeps getting worse! [Re: Snowtoy] #820272 06/23/07 12:56 PM
B
babyhuey Offline
Put your timing back where it was and check your fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator.Then check your injectors, ones probably got a little drip.Is your O2 sensor working?Two speed idle is the easiest to pass.I though Kalifornia was tough on emmissions?

Re: Smog Help! Failed 3 times now keeps getting worse! [Re: babyhuey] #820273 06/23/07 06:48 PM
DRTDEVL Offline
J
Roll Me Over
Everyone missed a key component...

You replaced your plugs with Bosch.

Yank that crap outta there and go get some Denso's or NGK's.

"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living." - John F. Kennedy

Proud owner of an 88 Montero (with a blown engine).
Re: Smog Help! Failed 3 times now keeps getting worse! [Re: DRTDEVL] #820274 06/24/07 02:42 AM
C
chuckelbarry Offline OP

Pulled out the Bosch plugs, pulled the napa brand plug wires. went to Toyota got factory plugs and wires. also tested the fuel pressure it was all good. so I am going to drive it this week and probably get it tested again on thursday. I will let ya all know how it goes

Re: Smog Help! Failed 3 times now keeps getting worse! [Re: chuckelbarry] #820275 06/25/07 03:55 AM
B
babyhuey Offline

i didnt miss anything.H/c levels dont have a dang thing to do with spark plug brands.The engine is running rich at idle,plain and simple.If an injector seal was bad you would more than likely have a constant lean miss that wouldnt go away at 2500 rpm.The fuel pressure regulator diaphragm failure seems most probabable.Fuel pressure would be high at idle causing increased h/c,but when engine rpms increased the engine would be using the increased fuel pressure.Just my .02.P/s,splitfire sf6d is the money plug for my 22re.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  4Crawler, 4x4Wire, kewlynx 

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.