Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
1990 Gen 1 steering gear box leak
by Mudflap - 03/01/21 01:24 AM
'87 2.6l running rough - seems electrical
by Lev_from_CA - 02/28/21 10:11 PM
Replacement MAF unit .. Gen1
by rxinhed - 02/25/21 03:16 AM
Gen1 cigarette lighter port.
by rxinhed - 02/25/21 03:15 AM
GEN I Auto hubs
by rxinhed - 02/25/21 03:12 AM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Gen1 cigarette lighter port.
by Trailmonkey - 02/19/21 01:34 AM
1990 Gen 1 steering gear box leak
by nvmonty - 02/18/21 06:42 AM
Need source for 89 v6 EGR Pipe Gasket
by polar - 02/16/21 03:03 AM
GEN I Auto hubs
by JAVYPRO - 02/14/21 04:43 PM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Mudflap), 103 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,178
Posts1,081,007
Members15,161
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A/C fan not working #824241 07/11/07 01:01 AM
H
hvw Offline OP
Need a Spot
My interior blower will work on 3 speeds for about thirty seconds and then drop down to the lowest speed. When it is working and I put in high(the fourth speed) it drops down to low immediately. I replaced the blower motor and fan which had frozen up with a new one from Toyota. I also replaced the heater relay. I'm wondering if the switch itself isn't bad. I looked at it but it would be a booger to get out. Any thoughts appreciated. It's hottern you know what around here. This is a 93 4x4 truck by the way. Thanks

From the Off-Road World
Re: A/C fan not working [Re: hvw] #824242 07/11/07 02:06 AM
kewlynx Offline
Toyota & Classifieds Moderator
Replacing the switch isn't too bad, but more likely the blower resistor is bad. If like the earlier trucks, it sits up behind the blower motor and is held in place by a phillips screw, with a plug and about 3-4 wires going to it. Looks like a bunch of little coils.

Dealer or junkyard part.

http://www.walkablecommunities.org/

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

**ubi apis- ibi salus**
Re: A/C fan not working [Re: kewlynx] #824243 07/11/07 07:34 AM
cam01 Offline
Getting the Wheeling Fever
Replacing the switch isn't too bad, but more likely the blower resistor is bad. If like the earlier trucks, it sits up behind the blower motor and is held in place by a phillips screw, with a plug and about 3-4 wires going to it. Looks like a bunch of little coils.

Dealer or junkyard part.

Usually only works on high speed when the resistor packs it in as the high fan speed is direct power without any resistance.

88 V6 4Runner, 3.4 swap, SAS, front E locker, rear EZ locker, dual cases 2.28/4.7, 63" Chev rears, rears up front etc.
Re: A/C fan not working [Re: cam01] #824244 07/11/07 04:33 PM
fourwd1 Offline
Body Damage is Cool

Dealer or junkyard part.

Usually only works on high speed when the resistor packs it in as the high fan speed is direct power without any resistance.

Correct, when one of the resistors opens up you will loose one of the lower speeds, but you'll always have the highest speed.
It would still be wise to pull the resis module and check it, but it doesn't sound like the culprit in this case.

- seen in FOUR WHEELER mag July 2006 & OFF-ROAD mag Feb 2007 -
'84 4Runner ARBed 5.29s F&R,4.7 & 2.28 t-cases,hy-steer,BudBuilt skid,30spl Longs,36" TSLs,Chevys

'83 P/U, Buick 231 V6,Holley 4 bbl,Weiand intake,Downey headers,TH350 w/700R4 gearset
Re: A/C fan not working [Re: fourwd1] #824245 07/11/07 11:44 PM
H
hvw Offline OP
Need a Spot
Thanks folks. I checked the continuity on the resistor and it appears to be good. That is it has continuity at all terminals all the time. I did the check by touching the various terminals with a meter. If that's wrong someone let me know.

I'm certain that the blower motor will run at the highest speed if wired directly to the battery. The blower is new OEM. I haven't checked it yet but will in the morning. Everything worked correctly for awhile. I replaced the old one because it had frozen up.

Right now I'm suspicious of the fan switch. It just seems like a pain in the butt to get out.

The fan will only blow at a low speed at the high setting of the switch. At the next level down on the switch it will blow correctly for a few seconds then drop to low speed. It works correctly all the time at the lowest setting. The AC is ice cold. Just won't blow right.

I appreciate all your thoughts on this problem. It's obvious I'm kinda out of my area on this.

Re: A/C fan not working [Re: hvw] #824246 07/12/07 12:33 AM
4Crawler Offline
Web Wheeler
One test to try is put a volt meter across the motor wires (as close to the motor as possible). Then see if the voltage drops when the speed drops. If so, that is telling you something upstream is limiting the current (and voltage) to the motor. If not, it is something inside the motor that is messing up. On mine, it was worn brushes in the motor causing it to overheat and slow down after running for a while:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Blower.shtml#MotorRepair

Re: A/C fan not working [Re: 4Crawler] #824247 07/12/07 10:43 AM
H
hvw Offline OP
Need a Spot
That's a good idea and one I hadn't thought of. While fiddling around last night I noticed that if I jiggled the switch lever the blower would come on and off in the lower positions. Nothing on the high setting still. I believe using your suggestion I'll see a voltage fluctuation when I jiggle the switch. It seems to be my lot in life that the problem part is invariably the the one that is hardest to get to. That would be the switch.

Re: A/C fan not working [Re: hvw] #824248 07/12/07 03:38 PM
H
hvw Offline OP
Need a Spot
May have found the problem. I pulled the blower switch and found that it had overheated to the point that parts of it were melted. One of the contacts had melted into the housing and was making no contact at all. I don't know if this was caused by the resister or not but I'm going to go ahead and replace them both. I didn't find any evidence of a short and nothing else seems wrong.

With any luck that will cure the problem. It may be that when the old blower seized up it caused the switch to overeheat if it was left on. Thanks to all for all the advice on this weird problem.

Moderated by  4Crawler, 4x4Wire, kewlynx, Mike Bondi 

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.