Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Gen 1 tranmission fluid
by OldColt - 08/12/22 10:10 AM
OG folks chime in!
by MarkG - 08/10/22 04:39 PM
suzi the psychic
by rascott - 08/07/22 05:28 PM
LED Headlights
by 87Raider - 08/06/22 04:23 AM
The End is Near
by rxinhed - 08/02/22 01:23 AM
Sad day for my wife Gen III
by JAVYPRO - 07/15/22 08:24 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Gen 1 tranmission fluid
by ybakos - 08/11/22 06:00 PM
LED Headlights
by 87Raider - 08/06/22 03:43 AM
The End is Near
by 4x4Wire - 07/19/22 06:07 PM
Sad day for my wife Gen III
by JAVYPRO - 12/04/21 04:30 PM
OG folks chime in!
by PajEvo - 03/07/21 03:45 PM
suzi the psychic
by - 03/26/10 06:59 AM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 92 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,279
Posts1,081,774
Members15,265
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: dh8] #832630 08/27/07 02:12 AM
stock87 Offline
Body Damage is Cool
That silver box right in the middle of the pic with the cooling fins on either side is the amp. There should be two plugs going into that that will match the installdr.com instructions you have.

Just a head's up for future installs, you can buy a female harness coupler that's already color-coded that will plug into your factory wiring so there's no guesswork and no cutting the factory wires.

My Truck: 1987 XtraCab DLX 22R 4WD 5 Speed Manual
--------------------
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson
From the Off-Road World
Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: stock87] #832631 08/27/07 02:39 AM
D
dh8 Offline OP
Need a Spot
the install dr instructions don't say anything about plugs going into the amp.

They say something about the new radio's "amplifier only" remote wire and making sure you connect the right wire to that.

I know they sell wiring harnesses but given that I can't buy it locally and I had JVC instructions; it didn't seem like it would be such a pain to do.

Also, the wires going into the front speakers do not match the install dr diagrams by color or position in the toyota harness. Still have to dig a bit to find out what goes to the back speakers but that isn't so much of a rush since I still don't know what to do with the amp and the sound won't work without that being connected properly or bypassed.

Looks like my dash will be on the floor for another day or two.

Thanks anyway.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: dh8] #832632 08/27/07 05:32 AM
trcdrunner Offline
Mudrunner
I had to go with the cut wires and yeah its a pain...
you could find a 'hot' hook up the 2 wires from stereo (contant & key'd) then try hooking up the spreaker wires till you find the right ones (then put the key'd wire from contact to a fused power so that radio isnt always on)

OR
What I would do to make life easier...
if you still can...
Wire the factory plug back on....
find a 'Wiring Harness" to fit the Runner and wire it up to the radio - you should be able to find a wire diagram on JVC's website....

the harness's look like Harness Page

See if this pic works.... [Linked Image]

Not sure if the site I gave has the exact one for you, but you should be able to find one easy enough...

- - you wire the plug from the JVC (you can get these from JVC - labled) to the wires on the harness then plug it into the factory harness - EASY BREEZY..
Sure easier than trying to find the correct speaker wires (some vehicles have multiple wires - more that the 2 to one speaker) for fronts backs then sides then the 2 powers (1 is a remote) not to mention the dimmer wire as well....

Hope this helps and isnt too wordy.........

(edit) WOW didnt realize you cut the plug off AT the plug......

Last edited by trcdrunner; 08/27/07 05:34 AM.
Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: dh8] #832633 08/27/07 09:29 AM
Adam F Offline
Forum Moderator
You need to wire up the speakers BEFORE the amp. Find the wires that go INTO of the amp, not OUT like you are trying to now.

88 4R, 350 V8, R150 5 speed Sold <...uot; />
97 4R, stock, daily driver
98 Sienna, kid and dog hauler, wife's ride
Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: Adam F] #832634 08/27/07 03:45 PM
rustylux Offline
Wheeler
If it were me Id just get some wire and wire directly from the head unit to the speakers. Saves headaches. Also gives you a chance to run thicker gauge wire to allow more power to the speakers (instead of the dental floss wire the factory uses).

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: rustylux] #832635 08/27/07 08:14 PM
Snowtoy Offline
Roll Me Over
If it were me Id just get some wire and wire directly from the head unit to the speakers. Saves headaches. Also gives you a chance to run thicker gauge wire to allow more power to the speakers (instead of the dental floss wire the factory uses).

X2. I always run stereos completely seperate from the oem wiring, including the memory and all power cables. Granted I have to turn off the unit seperately from the ignition, but it also allowes me to listen to the strereo with the doors open w/o having to disconnect the door buzzer.

More than tread lightly. Leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
'90 X-cab 4.88's 33 BFG AT's, rr ARB, Headers, Ignition upgrade, cold air induction.
'91 X-cab 5.29's 315's BFG MT's, rr ARB, custom bumper and flatbed
Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: Snowtoy] #832636 08/27/07 10:31 PM
D
dh8 Offline OP
Need a Spot
Seems like I've made a little headway but not much. I found the wires for the two front speakers and connected them to the JVC.

I have to have the battery and power wires correct because I only get power if the key is turned to accessory. If either of those two were wrong; I wouldn't have power at all or I'd have it all the time.

Someone said to look for the wires coming out of the amp (not going to it) but as you can see from the pic; there is one bundle of wires that's available for hookup from the amp and that's it.

I'm still stuck with finding out what wires to connect to hook up the amp or what to disconnect to d/c the amp altogether. I tried touching the wires in succession to the jvc amp/antenna combo wire but I get nothing.

I'd hate to rewire the whole truck for use with factory speakers. I know it's got to be one small thing I'm missing.

Does anyone know what the second plug seen in the middle of the pic os for? The larger one on the side is for the antenna but I have no idea what the thinner plug is (it doesn't run to the amp as you can see). The jvc doesn't have a spot to accept that plug but I thought it might be part of the hookup that prevents toyota radios from being used in any other vehicle.

Spoke with people from JVC but they aren;t sure what to do. One guy sounded sincere when he said he'd try to find someone else to help me. I had to fax them the JVC papers showing them where they told me to cut the harness and all the diagrams they have showing the hookup without a wiring harness from the vehicle; so I don't hold out much hope there.

Again, thanks for the help. I've got a raging migraine over this.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: dh8] #832637 08/28/07 12:34 AM
C
casper3t Offline
Getting the Wheeling Fever
i think if you plug the cd player to the amp and to the speaker, that would might destroy your speakers because its pushing out too much power? there are 2 other plugs that plug into the amp, the smaller one is for the rear speaker and the big one is for power, accessory. um if you look at that wire harness, it should be the same diagram on the install dr

Thomas

----------

94 Toyota Pickup 22R-E
EB's Street RV Head with 268* Cam
Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: casper3t] #832638 08/28/07 01:09 AM
D
dh8 Offline OP
Need a Spot
Unfortunately, like I said the harness is NOT the same as on the install dr. That shows a dual harness and as you can see in the pics; mine had a single harness. In tracing the color of the wires and trying to extrapolate back onto the harness; there is no correllation to the install dr diagram at all; although some of the colors do correspond to what teh install dr says they should be.

I'm not seeing where people are saying there are two plugs coming from the amp. The only two plugs I can find are shown in the pic but they don't seem to connect to the amp at all. The larger is the antenna and the wire goes up and over towards the antenna...not to the amp.

The other smaller plug no one can tell me about. That wire also doesn't go to the amp but up and over; also seemingly towards the antenna.

Where are the two amp plugs people keep talking about???

I'd be surprised if I could overload the speakers as nothing on the cd player is set high and it's not a booming system.

I just don't see how to connect the amp which should be a small and simple connection of some of the remaining wires. If I could find anyone who could tell me what the smaller silver plug is; that might help me figure it out.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: dh8] #832639 08/28/07 04:33 AM
stock87 Offline
Body Damage is Cool

Where are the two amp plugs people keep talking about???

The wiring going INTO the amp will be the 2 plugs you see in the installdr instructions. Not where you cut the plug off, that was the wiring from the amp to the headunit, but where the wires from the truck harness go into the amp.

My Truck: 1987 XtraCab DLX 22R 4WD 5 Speed Manual
--------------------
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  4Crawler, 4x4Wire, kewlynx 

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.