Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
suzi the psychic
by rascott - 08/07/22 05:28 PM
LED Headlights
by 87Raider - 08/06/22 04:23 AM
The End is Near
by rxinhed - 08/02/22 01:23 AM
Sad day for my wife Gen III
by JAVYPRO - 07/15/22 08:24 PM
Bump steer problems with ball joint flip/spacers?
by Colombia - 07/13/22 04:22 AM
OG folks chime in!
by PartyTruck - 07/11/22 08:30 PM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
LED Headlights
by 87Raider - 08/06/22 03:43 AM
The End is Near
by 4x4Wire - 07/19/22 06:07 PM
Bump steer problems with ball joint flip/spacers?
by Colombia - 07/04/22 04:17 AM
Sad day for my wife Gen III
by JAVYPRO - 12/04/21 04:30 PM
OG folks chime in!
by PajEvo - 03/07/21 03:45 PM
suzi the psychic
by - 03/26/10 06:59 AM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 75 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,278
Posts1,081,771
Members15,265
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: stock87] #832640 08/28/07 08:11 AM
rustylux Offline
Wheeler
Im about 99% sure that small silver plug is an AM antenna. If I remember correctly, there should be a thin line around the windshield that looks like a rear window demister. Either that or theres an extra strip on the rear window. We had those kind of radios come in on our import toyota surfs. We never had the time to figure out the wiring so we just re-wired the whole lot.

I think youll find that the speakers are kinda special with that particular combination. Theyre mounted in little boxes with a passive subwoofer in there (a 4 diaphragm that vibrates when the speaker moves).

From the Off-Road World
Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: rustylux] #832641 08/29/07 02:29 AM
OOP'S Offline
Roll Me Over
My two cents!!!!

[Linked Image]

David Fritzsche
1990 Ex-Cab V-6,5-speed, with a few mods
04.5 CTD Dodge 2500 Ram--Tow Rig
Roseville, CA

"Serenity through Sobriety"
Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: dh8] #832642 08/31/07 02:07 AM
M
mnwolftrack Offline
Rock Warrior
In my experience, an automobile with a factory amp requires bypassing the amp when installing an aftermarket headunit that has a pre-amp built into it (typically 35x4 up to 50x4 peak). Aftermarket head units typically won't play nice with factory amp systems. Most older toyotas do not have an external factory amp, so I haven't run across very many. I just installed a new double din unit in my '90 4runner last weekend, a double din in our celica, and I've gone through at least half a dozen stereos in my old '85 pickup.

As others have said, you might be best off finding which wires to do your speakers, and cutting those off the amp, and wiring directly to the deck.

Regardless, pretty much all in-dash units use the same wiring schmatics, and often the same color schemes coming off the head-unit harness itself. There's always a main power wire for 12V straight from the battery, an illumination wire to the battery, "ignition" wire used for telling the deck whether the key is in the ignition and what position it's in, fancier decks usually have a dimmer wire that gets wired into the dimmer switch, a power antenna wire, a "remote-on" switch that is run to aftermarket amplifiers, and then the speaker wires (+ and - for each speaker). There are often other wires too such as for rear camera hook-ups, DVD video enabling to brake pedal and parking brake wiring, and more, but I'm assuming you are not going to this extent.

I have more experience with the much more common (but older) Toyota 2-plug wiring system used on in-dash units with amps built in. The larger plug has the power wires, ground, and front speaker wires. The smaller plug has the rear speaker wires (and one off the top of my head I can't recall but would like to say is the dimmer).

If you still haven't figured out what to do, here's what I'd recommend; go to www.crutchfield.com (THE automotive audio website) and look for the "chat" button so you can talk to a sales person (or just call them). Explain your situation and see if they either have a wiring diagram available that they can help you with, or if they have an installation harness designed to work with a factory toyota amp. Of all the installation harnesses I've seen, it's always been the two-plug. I even looked up your year on their site and it shows the standard 2 plug system. What may also help is if you go to the JVC website and see if you can download the manual for your unit (assuming you don't have it to begin with).

I've never heard of using a AA battery to test speakers so I can't comment how well that works. You should basically have the front speakers out or at least extremely accessible at this point, so you should be able to tell what wires come from it and where they go into the amp.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: mnwolftrack] #832643 08/31/07 02:12 AM
M
mnwolftrack Offline
Rock Warrior
One more thought--do ALL of the wires that came out of the single plug that went into the back of the factory deck go straight into the amp? Or do only some of the wires go from the deck to the amp? I'm kind of wondering if the amp has 3 plugs on it. 1) the plug coming from the deck, and 2+3) the normal 2-plug system I described above that would have otherwise plugged into the back side of a head unit with a built in amp. If you look on crutchfield's site under the accessories, there are installation accessories including wiring harnesses plus the picture showing the currect plugs. There's also a ton of these wire harnesses on Ebay for under $15.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner [Re: stock87] #832644 08/31/07 02:17 AM
Adam F Offline
Forum Moderator

The wiring going INTO the amp will be the 2 plugs you see in the installdr instructions. Not where you cut the plug off, that was the wiring from the amp to the headunit, but where the wires from the truck harness go into the amp.

He's right. Like I said before, you need to cut into the wires going INTO the amp, not OUT of the amp like you did.

Pull the amp out, and you'll see the plugs in the back of it, and those will match up with installdr.

88 4R, 350 V8, R150 5 speed Sold <...uot; />
97 4R, stock, daily driver
98 Sienna, kid and dog hauler, wife's ride
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  4Crawler, 4x4Wire, kewlynx 

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.