Extreme Terrain
4x4Wire Trail Talk Forums: Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Pajero, Isuzu, Kia, 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Off-Road and OutdoorWire Forums

Search

Recent Posts on TrailTalk
Gen 1 Trailer Hitch and Owners Manuals
by Kookster97 - 06/28/22 01:34 PM
Gen 2 UCA extended upper ball joints?
by Mudraider - 06/15/22 07:00 PM
suzi the psychic
by rascott - 06/14/22 01:47 AM
Support 4x4Wire
New Topics on TrailTalk
Gen 1 Trailer Hitch and Owners Manuals
by Kookster97 - 06/17/22 12:37 AM
Gen 2 UCA extended upper ball joints?
by Colombia - 05/24/22 03:28 AM
suzi the psychic
by - 03/26/10 06:59 AM
4x4 Gallery
Photos of rig
Attila
99 Monterrible Sport
Scar the Cylon Raider
Mercenary Sergeant: Code Name "Sapphire"
More News on the 'Wire

4x4Voice
4x4Wire
MUIRNet-News
OutdoorWire
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums37
Topics138,275
Posts1,081,744
Members15,265
Most Online907
Dec 28th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? #908096 09/30/08 06:38 PM
K
krb90 Offline OP
Getting the Wheeling Fever
The more I think about it the more I favor a y pipe that runs simular to the stock setup without the expansion chamber or dumping into the driver's side manifold. Main reasons being:
-No heat on starters
-No burnt floor mats
-No risk of rock rash (these are 4x4's after all)
-Cheeper to produce
-Easy to retain stock o2 location.
-Easy to retain stock cat location.
-No heat transfer to tranny
-Overall better us of space.
I really don't see any major negatives to this plan and it would bring the cost down from the ~$200 range to probably the $150 or less range (depending entirely on the cost of parts of course).
Last week I mentioned (to whoever is paying attention) that I'm pulling the heads off 2 3.0's. Well, I've got the heads off one of them, and getting ready to be shopped. While I was sitting there looking at the block and the crossover exhaust, I can see how R.O.R. came to this conclusion in this abandoned thread. I have some time and want to try this, but I have a couple of concerns/questions.

1. How close to the trans bellhousing and to the firewall/floorboard can you get without getting too close? I ask because, although there is room, there isn't alot and it could get tight. Plus, with everything off the engine I might be overlooking something that I'm gonna have to put back on....
2. Pipe diameters: the crossover pipe is 1.5"......I could be over analyzing this, but would it be better to neck the driver side exhaust down to 1.5" off the manifold before the two come together? Then, the two 1.5" dia pipes would joint to a 2.25" or 2.5" before the O2 sensor. Would this equalize the exhaust pressure on both sides? (well, not exactly because the pass side travels further, or does that matter).
3. The block off plate doesn't need to be special, does it? Just a steel plate with 3 bolt holes that you just bolt on in place of the crossover?

The only exhaust work I've ever done is replacing mufflers and covering holes/leaks with beer cans....so any advice is appreciated.
Also, if you're out there Rauch, what is it about the expansion chamber in the crossover that makes you want to eliminate it? I was just going to try to cut the driver side flange off and turn the exhaust down from there. Do you think that's the wrong approach?

From the Off-Road World
Re: Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? [Re: krb90] #908097 10/01/08 10:29 AM
Snowtoy Offline
Roll Me Over
I will have to look at my old manifolds, but I don't think there is enough room to do a "Y" pipe on the drivers side, but there ,may be just enough. You would have to cut/mod the drivers side manifold so you could drop the x-over down to the drivers side. This wouldn't be too hard, but given the limited amount of room it will be tight. With a 2-3" body lift you should/would have enough clearance to run the x-over over the top of the top of the bellhousing and not have to mod the drivers side, other than welding on a block off plate. Of course this wont likely increase performance much, other removing the excess heat from the drivers manifold, and some improvement in airflow.

If you have the disposable funds for headers, the concerns listed above can all be avoided, though I would recommend a 2" body lift along with the heat shielding. I don't have a BL on my '90, and there is only 1/2" of clearance between the passenger floorboard and the header, however w/a 4x6" piece of heat shielding between the firewall and the header and there isn't a heat issue either. A starter blanket for the starter and your starter is shielded from the heat, just remember to rebuild your starter when installing headers, it is a PITA to get it out/on, and then try and cover it with the starter blanket.

I ran the x-over between the transmission and the front driveline, so there isn't any issue with the rocks on the trail.

Downey headers retain everything in the stock location, so that also isn't an issue.

I say give it ago w/one of them at least while you have them apart, it wont be very easy at all once you get the heads back on, whichever way you choose to go. If you can't find a spare 3.0 drivers exhaust manifold, or FUBAR the one you have, let me know I don't have plans to use mine.

More than tread lightly. Leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
'90 X-cab 4.88's 33 BFG AT's, rr ARB, Headers, Ignition upgrade, cold air induction.
'91 X-cab 5.29's 315's BFG MT's, rr ARB, custom bumper and flatbed
Re: Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? [Re: Snowtoy] #908098 10/01/08 03:09 PM
Adam F Offline
Forum Moderator
I have a spare crossover pipe you can have.

88 4R, 350 V8, R150 5 speed Sold <...uot; />
97 4R, stock, daily driver
98 Sienna, kid and dog hauler, wife's ride
Re: Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? [Re: Adam F] #908099 10/01/08 03:48 PM
K
krb90 Offline OP
ooooo...if i could get that crossover and manifold from you guys, then i'll work something up for sure. I'm gonna try something anyway, and having spare parts to mangle up will help...i can be a little more aggressive maybe. I don't have the money for headers, really wished i did, although it may not be a huge gain, like my grandfather always said, it's better than a kick in the a$$. id REALLY like to do something while it's all apart right now. i have 2 trucks, and the prototype will be going on the 2wd first, and the (hopefully) production model will go on the 4wd. obviously, if it'll fit on the 2wd w/ no body lift, it should work just about anywhere.

i'm more than happy to send a small contribution in addition to the shipping...just let me know what i need to do for you. thanks.

Re: Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? [Re: krb90] #908100 10/02/08 05:02 AM
Snowtoy Offline
Roll Me Over
I will dig out the manifold and get a weight for you in the next couple of days, so you can have an idea of the shipping costs.

'90 X-cab 4.88's 33 BFG AT's, rr ARB, Headers, Ignition upgrade, cold air induction.
Re: Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? [Re: krb90] #908101 10/03/08 06:17 AM
matts Offline
Body Damage is Cool
I'm looking forward to see how you progress with this. I have a 3.0 4runner that needs exhaust work. Please keep us posted and put up some pics if you can. -- Matt

'89 4runner SR5, 3.0, auto (fun)
'93 xtra cab, dlx,3.0, 5spd (work truck)
Re: Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? [Re: matts] #908102 10/03/08 01:09 PM
Toy4x Offline
Mudrunner
while I wish you luck, i'll beat the dead horse.

One of the best things i ever did to my 3.0 was nwor headers & ceramic coating.

Stock crossover "Y"....was Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? [Re: Toy4x] #908103 10/09/08 09:58 PM
K
krb90 Offline OP
Just picked up the prototype from the muffler shop....it's almost too simple to really work, haven't installed yet and I'm so confident that it will work that I'm scared I overlooked something. I'll post pics soon....might be a few days though.

I'll go ahead and say this would be INCREDIBLY difficult without engine torn down to the block. If this works, maybe it can be an option for us poor boys who can't afford headers. I'm in for $50 right now, and that will be the total unless I screwed something up. I've never been to a muffler shop, but I thought it would be a few bucks cheaper.

Re: Stock crossover "Y"....was Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? [Re: krb90] #908104 10/09/08 11:04 PM
Snowtoy Offline
Roll Me Over
Not sure how much work the muffler shop did, but $50 seems pretty reasonable for some pipe, bends and welding.

As far as too simple goes, it is just basic plumbing, nothing that can be really screwed up, except for it fitting, and as long as you plumb it in ahead of the O2 sensor there shouldn't be any issues w/the ecu getting the right info from the O2.

I dug out the old manifolds, if you need them, shipping weight of the drivers side is 10lbs and zip is 95949. I have the oem x-over w/both flanges still on it as well, so if you need them let me know.

Is there going to be enough room w/o a body lift to get the passenger side over to the drivers side down pipe?

Re: Stock crossover "Y"....was Crossover eliminator for 3.0......Revisited? [Re: Snowtoy] #908105 10/10/08 04:24 PM
K
krb90 Offline OP
Actually, I may not need either manifold or crossover parts...but I haven't put it together yet so I might get back with you later about them. Thanks.

This setup is going on a 2wd...no body lift of course, and no need to add any kind of heat shielding because it's already there. No brake lines to move, no starter to protect and/or worry about. Honestly, this is the way it should have come from the factory (I say that now, before I put it together...).

I'm waiting on heads to come back from machine shop, and injectors to come back from WitchHunter. As soon as I get the heads, I'll start bolting all this up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  4Crawler, 4x4Wire, kewlynx 

4x4Wire Social:

| 4x4Wire on FaceBook |

OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission
You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material.
All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.