4x4Wire TrailTalk

need help with radio install on 95 4runner

Posted By: dh8

need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/26/07 09:44 PM

Took the JVC cd player from another vehicle to replace the factory cassette in my 4runner. According the JVC, I should be able to touch 2 wires with a AA battery and hear static through the speakers to know I have the correct set of wires but I get nothing no matter what I touch and the battery is good.

Already cut the plug off because had all jvc instructions, so now I have the entire dash of the truck on the floor and no idea how to proceed.

Looked at install dr.com but the plug they show is different from my truck. Tried to match it as close as possible to what i have but got no sound.

All I have thus far is the battery and ignition wires connected. When the key is turned to accessory; I have power to the radio and it will search for a station but it will pop out any cd I try to put in.

Help! I'm in Alaska and my town is not connected by road to anywhere so taking it to a radio install place would cost me a few hundred and at least 2-3 days travel time.

Thanks.
Posted By: Rauch_Off_Road

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/26/07 11:13 PM

Can you take some pics?

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 12:12 AM

it's a generic jvc cd player. I could take a pic of the plug that was cut as per jvc manual but you wouldn't see enough detail to be of any use.

Other than that; all you'd see is the group of wires hanging down and the two I have attached from the battery and ignition.

If that would be helpful to you, I'll gladly take some pics.

I'm wondering if there is an internal amp that has to be wired and powered for the speakers to work?

I have the cd playing (according to the display) but no matter what I connect; I get no sound. If I touch two cd player wires to the pink truck wire with the blue stripe, the right rear speaker clicks once but that's the only sound I can get out of the thing no matter how I play with the wires.
Posted By: casper3t

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 12:16 AM

if it has a different plug, they your 4runner has another amp, look around for the amp. i remember running to the same problem when i was installing a cd player for a 4runner a while back. i think its right underneath the area too
Posted By: Rauch_Off_Road

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 12:17 AM

Post up the pics and year of the truck. Pics of the harness you cut.
Posted By: 4Crawler

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 12:32 AM

I wired a JVC radio/CD player into my '85. Just find out the wire colors are each speaker and follow those back to the dash. I think the 2nd gens might have some sort of built-in amplifier, as noted above. If so you'll either need to make sure it is working or just bypass it. If you can't figure out that part, you can always run new wires between the dash and the speakers.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 12:53 AM

ok, now I really feel dumber than dirt. I have the pics but am not sure how to post them on this site.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 01:22 AM

Thanks. I sent some pics directly to the moderator (one of the people who responded) since I don't know how to post them here. I was careful and doubt I could have shorted out all the speakers so I'm pretty sure there is an amplifier.

If I don't get a response with info on that; I'll bypass like you suggested.

What a major league pain!

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 02:06 AM

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

This is what I have. I gather there's an amp in there but I don't know where, so I don't know what i should be bypassing or connecting.

Thanks for the help.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 02:10 AM

what is the smaller plug in the center of the pic for? I know the larger one on the side is for the antenna but the new radio doesn;t have a slot for the smaller plug.

Is that the amplifier connection?
Posted By: stock87

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 02:12 AM

That silver box right in the middle of the pic with the cooling fins on either side is the amp. There should be two plugs going into that that will match the installdr.com instructions you have.

Just a head's up for future installs, you can buy a female harness coupler that's already color-coded that will plug into your factory wiring so there's no guesswork and no cutting the factory wires.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 02:39 AM

the install dr instructions don't say anything about plugs going into the amp.

They say something about the new radio's "amplifier only" remote wire and making sure you connect the right wire to that.

I know they sell wiring harnesses but given that I can't buy it locally and I had JVC instructions; it didn't seem like it would be such a pain to do.

Also, the wires going into the front speakers do not match the install dr diagrams by color or position in the toyota harness. Still have to dig a bit to find out what goes to the back speakers but that isn't so much of a rush since I still don't know what to do with the amp and the sound won't work without that being connected properly or bypassed.

Looks like my dash will be on the floor for another day or two.

Thanks anyway.
Posted By: trcdrunner

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 05:32 AM

I had to go with the cut wires and yeah its a pain...
you could find a 'hot' hook up the 2 wires from stereo (contant & key'd) then try hooking up the spreaker wires till you find the right ones (then put the key'd wire from contact to a fused power so that radio isnt always on)

OR
What I would do to make life easier...
if you still can...
Wire the factory plug back on....
find a 'Wiring Harness" to fit the Runner and wire it up to the radio - you should be able to find a wire diagram on JVC's website....

the harness's look like Harness Page

See if this pic works.... [Linked Image]

Not sure if the site I gave has the exact one for you, but you should be able to find one easy enough...

- - you wire the plug from the JVC (you can get these from JVC - labled) to the wires on the harness then plug it into the factory harness - EASY BREEZY..
Sure easier than trying to find the correct speaker wires (some vehicles have multiple wires - more that the 2 to one speaker) for fronts backs then sides then the 2 powers (1 is a remote) not to mention the dimmer wire as well....

Hope this helps and isnt too wordy.........

(edit) WOW didnt realize you cut the plug off AT the plug......
Posted By: Adam F

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 09:29 AM

You need to wire up the speakers BEFORE the amp. Find the wires that go INTO of the amp, not OUT like you are trying to now.
Posted By: rustylux

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 03:45 PM

If it were me Id just get some wire and wire directly from the head unit to the speakers. Saves headaches. Also gives you a chance to run thicker gauge wire to allow more power to the speakers (instead of the dental floss wire the factory uses).
Posted By: Snowtoy

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 08:14 PM

If it were me Id just get some wire and wire directly from the head unit to the speakers. Saves headaches. Also gives you a chance to run thicker gauge wire to allow more power to the speakers (instead of the dental floss wire the factory uses).

X2. I always run stereos completely seperate from the oem wiring, including the memory and all power cables. Granted I have to turn off the unit seperately from the ignition, but it also allowes me to listen to the strereo with the doors open w/o having to disconnect the door buzzer.

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/27/07 10:31 PM

Seems like I've made a little headway but not much. I found the wires for the two front speakers and connected them to the JVC.

I have to have the battery and power wires correct because I only get power if the key is turned to accessory. If either of those two were wrong; I wouldn't have power at all or I'd have it all the time.

Someone said to look for the wires coming out of the amp (not going to it) but as you can see from the pic; there is one bundle of wires that's available for hookup from the amp and that's it.

I'm still stuck with finding out what wires to connect to hook up the amp or what to disconnect to d/c the amp altogether. I tried touching the wires in succession to the jvc amp/antenna combo wire but I get nothing.

I'd hate to rewire the whole truck for use with factory speakers. I know it's got to be one small thing I'm missing.

Does anyone know what the second plug seen in the middle of the pic os for? The larger one on the side is for the antenna but I have no idea what the thinner plug is (it doesn't run to the amp as you can see). The jvc doesn't have a spot to accept that plug but I thought it might be part of the hookup that prevents toyota radios from being used in any other vehicle.

Spoke with people from JVC but they aren;t sure what to do. One guy sounded sincere when he said he'd try to find someone else to help me. I had to fax them the JVC papers showing them where they told me to cut the harness and all the diagrams they have showing the hookup without a wiring harness from the vehicle; so I don't hold out much hope there.

Again, thanks for the help. I've got a raging migraine over this.
Posted By: casper3t

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/28/07 12:34 AM

i think if you plug the cd player to the amp and to the speaker, that would might destroy your speakers because its pushing out too much power? there are 2 other plugs that plug into the amp, the smaller one is for the rear speaker and the big one is for power, accessory. um if you look at that wire harness, it should be the same diagram on the install dr

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/28/07 01:09 AM

Unfortunately, like I said the harness is NOT the same as on the install dr. That shows a dual harness and as you can see in the pics; mine had a single harness. In tracing the color of the wires and trying to extrapolate back onto the harness; there is no correllation to the install dr diagram at all; although some of the colors do correspond to what teh install dr says they should be.

I'm not seeing where people are saying there are two plugs coming from the amp. The only two plugs I can find are shown in the pic but they don't seem to connect to the amp at all. The larger is the antenna and the wire goes up and over towards the antenna...not to the amp.

The other smaller plug no one can tell me about. That wire also doesn't go to the amp but up and over; also seemingly towards the antenna.

Where are the two amp plugs people keep talking about???

I'd be surprised if I could overload the speakers as nothing on the cd player is set high and it's not a booming system.

I just don't see how to connect the amp which should be a small and simple connection of some of the remaining wires. If I could find anyone who could tell me what the smaller silver plug is; that might help me figure it out.
Posted By: stock87

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/28/07 04:33 AM

Where are the two amp plugs people keep talking about???

The wiring going INTO the amp will be the 2 plugs you see in the installdr instructions. Not where you cut the plug off, that was the wiring from the amp to the headunit, but where the wires from the truck harness go into the amp.
Posted By: rustylux

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/28/07 08:11 AM

Im about 99% sure that small silver plug is an AM antenna. If I remember correctly, there should be a thin line around the windshield that looks like a rear window demister. Either that or theres an extra strip on the rear window. We had those kind of radios come in on our import toyota surfs. We never had the time to figure out the wiring so we just re-wired the whole lot.

I think youll find that the speakers are kinda special with that particular combination. Theyre mounted in little boxes with a passive subwoofer in there (a 4 diaphragm that vibrates when the speaker moves).
Posted By: OOP'S

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/29/07 02:29 AM

My two cents!!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mnwolftrack

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/31/07 02:07 AM

In my experience, an automobile with a factory amp requires bypassing the amp when installing an aftermarket headunit that has a pre-amp built into it (typically 35x4 up to 50x4 peak). Aftermarket head units typically won't play nice with factory amp systems. Most older toyotas do not have an external factory amp, so I haven't run across very many. I just installed a new double din unit in my '90 4runner last weekend, a double din in our celica, and I've gone through at least half a dozen stereos in my old '85 pickup.

As others have said, you might be best off finding which wires to do your speakers, and cutting those off the amp, and wiring directly to the deck.

Regardless, pretty much all in-dash units use the same wiring schmatics, and often the same color schemes coming off the head-unit harness itself. There's always a main power wire for 12V straight from the battery, an illumination wire to the battery, "ignition" wire used for telling the deck whether the key is in the ignition and what position it's in, fancier decks usually have a dimmer wire that gets wired into the dimmer switch, a power antenna wire, a "remote-on" switch that is run to aftermarket amplifiers, and then the speaker wires (+ and - for each speaker). There are often other wires too such as for rear camera hook-ups, DVD video enabling to brake pedal and parking brake wiring, and more, but I'm assuming you are not going to this extent.

I have more experience with the much more common (but older) Toyota 2-plug wiring system used on in-dash units with amps built in. The larger plug has the power wires, ground, and front speaker wires. The smaller plug has the rear speaker wires (and one off the top of my head I can't recall but would like to say is the dimmer).

If you still haven't figured out what to do, here's what I'd recommend; go to www.crutchfield.com (THE automotive audio website) and look for the "chat" button so you can talk to a sales person (or just call them). Explain your situation and see if they either have a wiring diagram available that they can help you with, or if they have an installation harness designed to work with a factory toyota amp. Of all the installation harnesses I've seen, it's always been the two-plug. I even looked up your year on their site and it shows the standard 2 plug system. What may also help is if you go to the JVC website and see if you can download the manual for your unit (assuming you don't have it to begin with).

I've never heard of using a AA battery to test speakers so I can't comment how well that works. You should basically have the front speakers out or at least extremely accessible at this point, so you should be able to tell what wires come from it and where they go into the amp.
Posted By: mnwolftrack

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/31/07 02:12 AM

One more thought--do ALL of the wires that came out of the single plug that went into the back of the factory deck go straight into the amp? Or do only some of the wires go from the deck to the amp? I'm kind of wondering if the amp has 3 plugs on it. 1) the plug coming from the deck, and 2+3) the normal 2-plug system I described above that would have otherwise plugged into the back side of a head unit with a built in amp. If you look on crutchfield's site under the accessories, there are installation accessories including wiring harnesses plus the picture showing the currect plugs. There's also a ton of these wire harnesses on Ebay for under $15.
Posted By: Adam F

Re: need help with radio install on 95 4runner - 08/31/07 02:17 AM

The wiring going INTO the amp will be the 2 plugs you see in the installdr instructions. Not where you cut the plug off, that was the wiring from the amp to the headunit, but where the wires from the truck harness go into the amp.

He's right. Like I said before, you need to cut into the wires going INTO the amp, not OUT of the amp like you did.

Pull the amp out, and you'll see the plugs in the back of it, and those will match up with installdr.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk