4x4Wire TrailTalk

Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not???

Posted By: Arnoud

Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/19/08 01:45 AM

'91 LC (190k) ATF hose broke, I lost all ATF fluid. Fixed hose, bought new ATF. Guy in car shop sold me Lucas Transmission Fix - said it was good to use in older cars.

I'm not sure - like some opinions. Transmission was working without any problems, no slip, shifts beautifully.

I read it is good for preventive maintenance. But I also read it's very thick goo which may clog up the filter and/or do potential other damage.

All comments are very welcome - seems it was not discussed on this forum before. Thanks!
Posted By: MAC

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/19/08 02:24 AM

Nooooo. Don't put that gunk in there. oem spec ATF only. Why would you want to mess with it if it has no problems?
Posted By: gueroblanco

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/19/08 01:15 PM

dont use the tweaker motto: "if it aint broke, fix it til it is."
Posted By: ovrrdrive

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/19/08 01:27 PM

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I used the Lucas engine treatment twice and both times I had to have a new motor put in about 3 months later...

Additives aren't necesarry...
Posted By: 904runner2dr

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/20/08 03:16 AM

One more thing.Don't use that stuff,OEM fluid is perfect.
Posted By: salvo

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/20/08 05:11 PM

Used thr trans fix once 2 weeks later i had no forward gears left. One big boom at the stop light and done.... Trans ran perfect before i used it too...

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/20/08 05:17 PM

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, don't fix if it ain't broke.

In some other car forums there are reports it "saved" them... but none here(?). I guess it helps (temporary?) if something is wrong with the transmission already.

I wonder what causes other (older) cars to suffer from transmission slip, bad shifting etc. I can see some wear on the gears, but that shouldn't cause slip, right?

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/20/08 07:18 PM

The car shop guy also seems to have sold me the wrong ATF type (type F), while my (Haynes) manual lists Dexron II. Good I didn't put it in yet!

However, it seems Dexron II is no longer for sale, replaced by Dexron VI. But what about this:

Dexron-VI -- For 2006 GM Hydra-Matic 6L80 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions, can also be used in 2005 transmissions that require Dexron III but is NOT recommended for older transmissions.

What actually is the correct (OEM) ATF to use (for a Toyota LC 1991)?
Posted By: walktastic

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/20/08 08:30 PM

what about the stuff in the silver can called engine restor? would that cause problems in the engine? i only ask since we are on the subject of additives.
Posted By: toyomorph

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/20/08 09:43 PM

You could probably use Red Line Synthetic ATF, or D4 ATF, in place of Dexron II.

Red Line Synthetic ATF

Red Line D4 ATF
Posted By: 89PU

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/21/08 01:43 AM

I'd steer clear of any additives. My Previa has an A340F (same tranny as 4runr/trucks and other models) which specifies DexII. DexIII works great and should be readily available.

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/23/08 09:20 PM

I used Dexron III - which is backward compatible with Dexron II. Lots cheaper than synthetic ($2.86/quart (Napa)).

By the way: the Haynes manual lists 6.3 quarts are needed for a drain-and-refill. But as I changed filter also (hence took the pan off) and all atf was also lost from radiator, hoses, etc - I needed 10 quarts (and dipstick still shows slightly low).

Does anybody happen to know the official amount when filled from completely empty?

I can report that the $25 Autozone atf filter T722 fits well and includes 2 gaskets. Not difficult, just a lot of bolts (and a lot of atf dripping).
Posted By: 4Crawler

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/24/08 02:30 AM

what about the stuff in the silver can called engine restor? would that cause problems in the engine? i only ask since we are on the subject of additives.

I've found that stuff does work, at least for my 22RE. It has some worn or dried out valve stem seals and smokes under compression braking (like going down a long hill). If I put in a can of Restore, it is like the oil burning nearly vanishes. Ultimately I'll get the head rebuilt, but for now, it is easy enough to add a can of Restore with every oil change.
Posted By: 87Toy4x4

Re: Use Lucas Transmission Fix... or better not??? - 04/24/08 02:49 AM

I've found that stuff does work, at least for my 22RE. It has some worn or dried out valve stem seals and smokes under compression braking (like going down a long hill). If I put in a can of Restore, it is like the nearly vanishes. Ultimately I'll get the head rebuilt, but for now, it is easy enough to add a can of Restore with every oil change.

that stuff is amazing. you can actually feel a difference about 1,000 miles after you put it in. i wish someone would do a before and after compression test to verify if it actually evens out compression b/c it sure feels like it does. it also slows oil leaks. i'm usually against oil/fuel additives but this stuff is great. it works best in smaller 4 cylinder engines of course.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk