4x4Wire TrailTalk

Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable?

Posted By: dave1223

Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 01/16/11 08:54 PM

http://www.yotatech.com/f115/heater-core-leaking-225496/ last post by swampfox.Everyone else says the dash has to come out and it takes 5-7 hours to change the core,does this fellows method work?
Posted By: Rauch_Off_Road

Re: Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 01/16/11 11:34 PM

Well settle in for a long job and try to go out the side first, if it doesn't work for you then take the rest of the dash off.

Re: Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 01/16/11 11:59 PM

I wouldn't be doing the work,hands shot from pinched elbow nerves and I'm not mechanical.A funny thing is the windows get somewhat fogged on early morning startup but will not fog the rest of the day with the defrost on.Had a slight leak at the clamp in the engine compartment which I tightened down a few days back but still get a little fluid on the passenger side rubber mat..sometimes green,sometimes clear looking.Could this be a build up in the heater core box?Never any anti-freeze smell.
Posted By: matts

Re: Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 01/19/11 06:19 AM

It's a job that take some time and patience, but no big skills or special tools. A beginner could do it. Just have a sheet of cardboard handy to organize your hardware Below are some pics from when I rewired my whole truck in preparation for an engine swap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All that blue tape is labels for the different connectors on the wiring harness. It was a great project and lots of fun. -- Matt
Posted By: kewlynx

Re: Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 01/19/11 07:22 AM

Seems to me it might be the valve; if you lay under the truck and look straight up the firewall on the pax side, I think you'll see it.

Floor would be wet if the core.

Tip for whoever gets to be the lucky person; pull the seat, esp if you're big.

Re: Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 01/19/11 01:44 PM

The floor does get that little drip onto the passenger side rubber mat..just above that floor vent.Always have plenty of heat.

Re: Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 01/19/11 01:51 PM

http://www.yotatech.com/f115/replacing-heater-water-control-valve-225742/ is this the valve you mean in the photo?
Posted By: myyota

Re: Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 01/29/11 10:14 AM

On an 84-88 truck or 4Runner it takes about four hours to change the heater core. Ive replaced the heater cores on two 86 4Runners, the first heater core i did took a little over five hours, but the second one only took about four hours because i knew were everything was and what had to come a part. The complete dash does have to be removed, but its not as hard as it looks, it more time consuming than anything else.
Posted By: yodta

Re: Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 03/21/21 04:51 PM

Good to see this forum still up and running. I've been putting off this heater core job for a few years with my 87 parked for a while now. Probably hit it sometime this spring. I moved to a 2002 Tacoma several years ago, but miss the 87 a bit. Different feel in those old 80s trucks. Mine's slow and beat up, but I like that just about everything in it is mechanical.

Hope all are doing well.
Posted By: 4x4Wire

Re: Heater core removal,is this fellows method feasable? - 03/21/21 09:42 PM

Yeah, the old Toys were a remarkable machine, very dependable, capable and easy to repair.

Welcome back. The forums do have a lot of great information.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk