4x4Wire TrailTalk

22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly

Posted By: Bevoman

22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly - 12/08/18 08:00 PM

My 88 22re recently quit on me while driving. It always started again but would only run for 2 or 3 seconds, then sputter and die (had to have it towed home). No engine codes. I let it sit for over a week, replaced the fuel pressure regulator, then it started and ran perfectly. I drove it a few miles to the store. When I started it to go home, it did the same thing; started, ran for 2 or 3 seconds, then died - several times. After waiting a few minutes it started and I was able to rev it enough that it pushed through the sputtering, ran fine, and got me home. Now I'm paranoid to take it out anywhere as it seems to do this randomly. Don't think it would be the fuel pump or it wouldn't run at all - right? Any thoughts?
Posted By: Snowtoy

Re: 22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly - 12/10/18 10:46 PM

With no codes, it is either a mechanical issue, or the failing electronic component has failed enough to trigger a code.

Might start with the fuel system, replace the filter and possibly the pump.

May want to pull and test/clean the injectors, check youtube for a DIY video.

From there start testing ignition components and the air flow sensor, in my experience if/when the components are near their extreme ends of their operating ranges, they are usually the issue.

Other areas to inspect.
[Linked Image]

Re: 22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly - 12/17/18 08:37 PM

Thanks. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, and fuel filter. It will start and keeping running now, and idles fairly steady. However, it will randomly flutter and die at idle. Most of the time I can give it some gas and keep it running. The randomness mystifies me.
Posted By: Snowtoy

Re: 22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly - 12/18/18 02:34 AM

Might test the AFM
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And the throttle position sensor,
[Linked Image]

Also check for vacuum leaks and cracks in the intake tubing.
Posted By: DRTDEVL

Re: 22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly - 12/18/18 02:07 PM

Its been a while since I messed with these, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the coil pickup in the distributor is failing...

Re: 22re randomly starts then dies . . . repeatedly - 01/22/19 11:22 PM

Thanks. I'll check that.
© 2019 4x4Wire TrailTalk