4x4Wire TrailTalk

Truck won't start!!

Posted By: hazard2600

Truck won't start!! - 09/03/05 04:31 PM

Well my truck finally stopped starting all together. Before, it would not start intermitantly. Like every 20th startup and I could resolve it by bangin on the starter (and Advanced Auto said there was nothing wrong with the starter when they tested it). Sometimes I could get it to start by turning off the radio, air and headlights. After I replaced the starter this time (1 week ago) I had the same probelms, but now it won't start at all.

Ive replaced the starter twice, installed an optima battery less than a year ago. Doubled up on my groud cables. installed a new positive cable going to the starter. It seems like I've got plenty of power and grounding. All the contacts have been cleaned.

Every time I try to kick it over, the dash comes lights come on and I get that friggin click over behind the right side of my dash that I'm suppose to get but that's it. But the starter won't turn. Any ideas? I'm fresh out.
Posted By: 4Crawler

Re: Truck won't start!! - 09/03/05 04:37 PM

Some starter troubleshooting and repair ideas...

And don't overlook the starter and solenoid, even though you just replaced it and even though it "tested" fine, it could be the problem. When going through the compoents in the starting system, don't assume any of the parts are good. Assume they are bad and prove to yourself that they are good, this includes the starter, the wires (power and ground), the connections at each end of each wire, any relays and switches between the battery and the starter.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk