4x4Wire TrailTalk

i want to change my lca bushing

Posted By: 1morebike

i want to change my lca bushing - 07/07/14 05:10 AM

1990 lwb and they are looking pretty bad and it rides like they are dead. from what i read there is one thats in the frame that is a pia would i be better off just paying my mechanic to do it?
Posted By: JohnnyBfromPeoria

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/07/14 02:26 PM

It depends on your skill level and the amount of desire you have to spend most of an entire day getting it done. The frame mounted bushing is difficult to remove and has to be pressed out, preferably with an air ratchet. Clearances are tight, it's dirty work and it is difficult all the way around.

John B.
Posted By: FrankR

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/07/14 04:09 PM

If you have a short sawzall, it can be cut lengthwise and it'll come out easily, but getting access to it is a job.

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/07/14 05:23 PM

well crap my skill level is not amazing and the idea of spending all day getting pissed doesn't sound like fun especially know my mechanic could do it a lot less time. problem is time i have money...not so much
Posted By: JohnnyBfromPeoria

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/07/14 06:55 PM

Getting the new one in is just as much fun as getting the old one out.

John B.
Posted By: heathdogg

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/08/14 12:26 AM

Screw that. I've done that. Spent a day on one side cutting it out. Mine where rusted in all around. Cheated on the other side. Pushed the rubber out of the new one and just reused the sleeve. Worked for me. Lubed it up to get it in. I will not do another one again. Though, the P.O. left mine to set in the snow for several years so maybe that had something to do with it. Torch may make it easier to do.

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/08/14 04:05 AM

ok thanks for the advice I'm not going to mess with them I'm just going to pay to have them done. I'm also going to replace the ball joints at the same time and think I'm going to go with gen uca and i have asked before but if i just buy some for lets say 94 will they bolt right up with no problem even with the gen 1 lowers?
Posted By: Malykaii

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/08/14 04:28 AM

I got aftermarke gen 2 uppers for a 96. They bolted up, but you need longer bolts and need to fill it with 1/8-1/4 of an inch or so of alignment shims. Obviously, alignment needed.

Ive heard of reports of the bushing bolts coming loose without lock tight. The ball joints in the arms were junk. I got half an inch play in one after 3k miles and had to buy premium replacements. But with $60 for both arms on eBay and $40 for ball joints, its still a deal.

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/08/14 04:49 AM

the uca should all be the same from 92 to 98 correct? so i can search for the best price and use any of those years. I'm looking at some acdelco ones rock auto with ball joints that should be ok.

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/08/14 01:34 PM

I don't remember the year range... just remember mine being 1996 SR ones. Sorry.

Also, did a quick looksie. The a.c. delco ones in the pic look just like my ebay ones. (Didnt do any research though) They look to cost $100 each, so if they are China good make style, for the money, maybe step up to mitsu oem from mitsubishi-parts.net or grab the ebay cheapest?

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/10/14 07:23 AM

alright I'm ordering the acdelco ones soon. I'm worried about the camber as I'm not cranking the t bars because I'm happy with height for now. any advice would be cool

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/10/14 03:30 PM

See the 8th post... its mostly there.

Since your probably getting "made in china with proud" keep an eye on the ball joints and locktite those bushing bolts. Since your not cranking the springs up, I'm going to guess that you don't need longer bolts, but if you do, grade8 or metric10.8? only. Alignment is a must, and make sure you actually go to a place that will be willing to mess with camber/caster as alot of places only want to set toe and send you on your way as fast as possible.

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/11/14 02:09 AM

cool thanks. ill look for good front end alignment place. ill post up once it s done. thanks for all the help
Posted By: heathdogg

Re: i want to change my lca bushing - 07/11/14 06:00 PM

I had the bolts on my UCA conversion come loose twice. After that I changed the bolt setup. I had coil-over shocks on the front which mad it impossible to retighten without removing the shock. I went with Socket cap bolts and the metal crimp locknuts. Didn't have any problems after that and the alignment guy was happier when he aligned it again. Pics are up here somewhare. Search by my handle if you are curious.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk