4x4Wire TrailTalk

Help me identify an odd thump. 1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L Automatic

Posted By: Jay Ayala

Help me identify an odd thump. 1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L Automatic - 04/15/15 05:28 PM

Hey guys,
Let me describe this and see what you guys think. I occasionally hear an odd hollow thumping sound but I can't find where it's coming from. Its driving me nuts.

Let's say I'm driving down Brookwood Parkway in Hillsboro. Its speed limit varies, but it seems rather consistent at 35mph. If I come up to the stop light intersection and the light goes from red to gree, I naturally slow down for the red and then I typically hear the thump as I let off the break and transition to throttle.

My battery is secured and that was the first thing I thought. Any other ideas?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stevec

Re: Help me identify an odd thump. 1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L Automatic - 04/15/15 08:41 PM

I had a similar thump in my '90 that I ended up fixing by replacing the bushings on the trailing arms. Mine were still original so I guess that after 20+ years they were gone. My noise was:

-low speed thump, especially when stopping/re-accelerating or going around corners at low speed (e.g. in a parking lot)

-more pronounced/obvious when it was cooler outside, like once the fall morning temperatures were down in the 60s

-in my case, you could feel the 'thump' through the floor with your feet

Not sure that it would be the same thing, but it drove me crazy until someone here suggested that it might be those bushings. Once I replaced them it went away.

steve
Posted By: Jay Ayala

Re: Help me identify an odd thump. 1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L Automatic - 04/16/15 03:31 AM

Steve,
thanks man, I think you are describing the same thing that I'm feeling with my Raider. Trailing arm bushings huh??? I keep hearing from Mongo that the Gen II Trailing Arms are worth the upgrade. Hmmm... I'll have to go investigate. Thanks Steve.
© 2021 4x4Wire TrailTalk