4x4Wire TrailTalk

Front snubbers are broke

Posted By: Mudraider

Front snubbers are broke - 09/09/15 01:39 AM

So upgrading my 89 Gen 1 SWB 3.0 to a Gen 2 steering box, idler arm, putting a new power steering pump, and an aftermarket cooler. While I was underneath, I spotted this cracked snubber. The other side is looking the same, cracked and broken also. Anyone ever change these out, and what have you used? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/10/15 12:46 AM

So everyone has not had to replace theirs? Amazing. I guess I'm rougher on mine? Probly my tonnage.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oso

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/10/15 05:22 PM

mine were cracked as well. I bought a set and promptly trimmed them down to accomodate the t-bar crank. a week later i found a set in the junkyard.
IIRC they are the same as Gen 2s.

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/10/15 11:06 PM

Ok. I'll look into that.
Posted By: ryany

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/11/15 04:53 PM

They look the same as the ones on my GenII, which I cut in half to increase the suspension travel. If mine fail then I plan to look into finding an aftermarket generic stop that will bolt up to the factory location but match the cut-down height of mine.
Posted By: JohnnyBfromPeoria

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/12/15 08:48 PM

The pictured bump stop is for the opposite side of the suspension travel. This stop limits compression of the suspension, otherwise you could damage a shock or drive a tire into the bottom of your fender. Been a while since some of you turned a wrench!

John B.

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/13/15 04:22 AM

I don't even know what you mean by that JBfP

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/13/15 02:34 PM

The bump stops the other guys are referring to are under the upper control arm and limit how much the front suspension drops, as in, how far the arm will travel downward. This is relevant because when trying to raise the front of the truck by cranking the torsion bars, oftentimes the suspension runs out of travel because it hits those bump stops before the desired height is reached. Even if it doesn't, there's little possible movement left when driving and the ride quality suffers, so you trim some of the rubber off to allow some more travel of the suspension.

The bump stops pictured in the first post control how far the suspension will compress, the opposite direction of the above-discussed often-trimmed stops.

Oh yeah, mine are chewed up too, but my tires ate mine since the steering limit stops are worn away on my '86. Not sure how that happened. Maybe it has something to do with jamming 33x12.5 tires onto 7" wide wheels...

John B.

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/13/15 08:03 PM

Gotcha. The upper ones are.....ok-ish. The upper 2 bolt one on the drivers side has a crack in it. Passenger is good. Summit Racing has lots of different sized snubbers. I think I will probly order some of them. Those uppers are a PITA to mess with. I think I'll put it up on the trailer, then ratchet strap the front down to get the arms out the way. Any better ideas so I can get my sausage fingers in there?

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/19/15 01:53 AM

You can uncrank the torsion bars to lower the front end of the truck to gain some access to the bolts on the upper bump stops, but my preference is to get a knife in there and just cut half of those off. It allows the suspension to travel downward further and/or allows you to crank the torsion bars further to boost the front end up higher. Just don't cut so much that the bolt heads hit metal when the suspension flexes. It's noisy, annoying and makes the ride rough, ask me how I know.

John B.

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/19/15 12:08 PM

laugh How do you know? laugh
Posted By: haztoys

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/19/15 01:04 PM

Very common to have the lower snubber crack.. How 'I' wheel I replace them alot ... I run 2wd snubbers on my 4wd they seem to last much longer ...

Are we sure we want to cut the upper snubber doing so can get the CV axle to pull out of the housing ... Do we really get that much more articulation...???

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/19/15 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by haztoys

Are we sure we want to cut the upper snubber doing so can get the CV axle to pull out of the housing ... Do we really get that much more articulation...???

I agree, the amount of articulation is restricted by the CV and the spline axle length. I picked these up from a dude cheap, just sitting in his tool bx, for $10. They are a whopping 7-8 millimeters shorter. I think I can live with that. The uppers I will go with a stock height, probly in poly also.
[Linked Image]

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/19/15 03:04 PM

Better pic.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: haztoys

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/19/15 03:32 PM

Poly is like installing a block of wood for a Bump stop... A B-stop is made to 'slow down' the arm ..Not 'died stop' the arm.. The 4x4 Mitz B-stop is to hard and now you are going with a B-stop thats even harder ... Poly is not a good thing for every spot on a vehicle... Poly is a nother BS in the car world ..Its just ez'er to 'make'... Not saying poly is all bad .. Its just everyone now thinks poly should replace any and all rubber ... I gravel surf a 2wd X Mitzu factory rally truck very hard core ..Its always bouning off the B-stops.. Poly would break the arm or the ploy stop...The 2wd stock b-stops live for ever there softer then the 4x4 b-stops...On my Raider I gravel surf it too... The stock b-stops shred in no time ...

Do as wish ..And I fully know that I am going against all that is said in the car ...Agian as I will do at times ...

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/19/15 11:33 PM

I've never had an issue with CV's pulling out or overextending because of trimming the upper bump stops, and I've done it on every Montero I've ever worked on or owned. And, yes, there is a significant increase in articulation, since the stops are well inboard, near the 'hinge point' and the end of the arm is further out away from the stop, so you gain a couple of inches, which oftentimes is taken up by cranking up the torsion bars anyway.

I tend to see and agree with HazT on the poly bump stop idea. His comparison to a block of wood makes sense, and it would definitely suck, as I once cut so much off my upper stops on my first Raider that the control arm would hit the bolts holding what was left of the bump stops and it was really annoying. I'd rather have some give to them.

And HazT knows how to drive...FAST. He's not kidding about that truck, either.

John B.

Re: Front snubbers are broke - 09/20/15 03:10 AM

Never thought of it that way. After the Lincoln locker going in mine, I haven't been too concerned. But a couple more turns on the torsion bars would be nice.
© 2020 4x4Wire TrailTalk