4x4Wire TrailTalk

1989 Montero reinstall the distributor

Posted By: losduarte

1989 Montero reinstall the distributor - 10/28/15 03:47 AM

Hello all. My rebuild nightmare is almost done. However, I am sure I incorrectly installed my distributor, because it won't start.

I will follow the following steps as well:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/756722/site_id/1#import

Thank you.

Posted By: JAVYPRO

Re: 1989 Montero reinstall the distributor - 11/02/15 12:44 PM

Set the engine to TDC, check the marks of the cams and the damper and align the two marks of the dist and it should fire. If you align the mark of the damper but the cams are not aligned then you are on exhaust, turn the engine one more time.

Javy
Posted By: tdf46

Re: 1989 Montero reinstall the distributor - 11/06/15 03:53 AM

An easily made mistake:

When you are sure that the cam timing is correct and it won't start the distributor install is a likely suspect.

Recently, I forgot that the distributor cap design is a little unique in that the initial rotor postion does not line up with the wire post for #1 cylinder but instead points at the approx. center of the fire wall. This is due to the factory design of the distributor cap. This is described in the FSM.

Then set basic timing per FSM procedures.
Posted By: fasteddy

Re: 1989 Montero reinstall the distributor - 11/07/15 04:10 AM

IIRC, there is a mark on the dizzy shaft housing, and two two drill marks on the shaft. One mark is the "to install" mark, and the other is the "installed" mark, since the shaft turns as it's stabbed. Set the shaft on the "to install" mark and center the adj slot over the stud, and stab it, crank/cam marks aligned as described.

And, no, I didn't die. Living in the woods with no internet. Y'all come...
Posted By: haztoys

Re: 1989 Montero reinstall the distributor - 11/07/15 01:04 PM

Nice to have you here I hope all is good Fasteddy

Posted By: Mudraider

Re: 1989 Montero reinstall the distributor - 11/08/15 02:33 PM

Yes, great to see you on here again.
Posted By: JAVYPRO

Re: 1989 Montero reinstall the distributor - 11/08/15 08:50 PM

Eddy, so glad to hear back from you. I as well have been a little lost but I am so gad to say hi.

Javy
Posted By: losduarte

Re: 1989 Montero reinstall the distributor - 11/09/15 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by tdf46
An easily made mistake:

When you are sure that the cam timing is correct and it won't start the distributor install is a likely suspect.

Recently, I forgot that the distributor cap design is a little unique in that the initial rotor postion does not line up with the wire post for #1 cylinder but instead points at the approx. center of the fire wall. This is due to the factory design of the distributor cap. This is described in the FSM.

Then set basic timing per FSM procedures.

Aha, that would one of the things I am doing wrong. You are right the rotor does not align with the wire post for cylinder #1. I will try this. Thank you.
© 2020 4x4Wire TrailTalk