4x4Wire TrailTalk

Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1

Posted By: AlexM

Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1 - 07/09/16 06:18 AM

How hard is it supposed to be to remove the crankshaft pulley once the crankshaft bolt is out? I've got the bolt out but I can't get the pulley off. Any tips would be much appreciated. Most of the posts I've found in the forum mention how hard the bolt is to get out, but not much on the actual pulley removal. So is it supposed to come off fairly easily?
Posted By: fasteddy

Re: Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1 - 07/10/16 12:40 PM

Sometimes yes, others, no. NO hammer, no pry on oil pump behind it.
Posted By: pcc

Re: Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1 - 07/10/16 05:38 PM

On my 92 I used a two leg generic puller on the crankshaft end, hooked onto the V-belt pulley. You may need to use the crank bolt for the threaded end of the puller.

It came out easily as I used anti-seize on the shaft 10 years ago when I installed it after TB service. It is not a good idea to pull on the crank pulley with much force but in my case the pulley slipped off easily. I too could not budge it by hand.
Posted By: JAVYPRO

Re: Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1 - 07/10/16 07:16 PM

Is it for your 1990 LWB 3.0L? no pulley required I just replaced mine. Wiggle it and it comes out no problem.

I made this tool to hold the balancer to remove and install. The center hole is for the ratchet extension:
[img:center]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhgViqQObiQMhOcjX52Eae-sAqWGjA[/img]

The new balancer:
[img:center]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhgViqQObiQMhOcidroQ44iZ1RO0bA[/img]

Javy

Re: Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1 - 07/10/16 11:00 PM

I got the pulley and timing gear off the crankshaft using a gear puller, breaking both parts, and then found out why it was so difficult. The crankshaft had been hammered on for some reason, and the end of the crankshaft had mushroomed a bit, preventing the pulley and gear from sliding off easily. I can find a new pulley online, but I am having trouble finding the timing gear. It's not something that's listed in car-parts.com or LQK parts search for used ones, and not on RockAuto or auto parts store websites for new ones. At least not when I search for "Crankshaft timing gear." I'll have to make some calls to auto wreckers tomorrow. Am I calling it the right thing? crankshaft timing gear?

Thanks for the pics Javy, I'll have to make a tool so I can tighten the crank bolt properly.

Alex.

Re: Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1 - 07/10/16 11:27 PM

So a little more digging and it looks like this is the part I need:

TIMING SPROCKET CRANKSHAFT GEAR LOWER
- 1990 MITSUBISHI MONTERO (MD100568)

And there are a few places it looks like I can get it.

Alex.
Posted By: fasteddy

Re: Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1 - 07/12/16 01:26 AM

Dodge dealer, 89 caravan 3.0.

Re: Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1 - 07/12/16 04:31 AM

Thanks Eddy. Ordered one from mitsubishipartscentral.com before I saw your post. But will go that route if it doesn't work out.

Alex.

Re: Crankshaft Pully Removal on Gen1 - 07/18/16 04:35 AM

So I finally got all the parts in. Replaced the water pump since I was in there and then did a tiny bit of sanding on the end of the crankshaft and got the new timing gear and harmonic balancer to slip back on. So they should come off a little easier next time. Everything re-assembled and it seems to be running well.
Thanks again for the help provided on the forum.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk