4x4Wire TrailTalk

Introduction & New Raider

Posted By: Bigshankhank

Introduction & New Raider - 10/11/18 04:56 PM

Hello, just bought an 89 Raider 3.0l w/ manual trans and it seemed like most of the information I've found on google tends to link back to here, so I figured I would join. After having driven it down the gulf coast of Florida through some heavy winds, it is obvious there is some significant suspension work that needs to be done. I've ordered some replacement shocks and sway bar bushings and will start there. Also ordered a new timing belt & idler pulley along with some new plugs. Truck has 193k on it but seems to have been fairly well maintained as it runs smooth with no ticks or knocks nor any smoke. Transmission and transfer case both shift really well, also. So this coming weekend we'll change the oil and send it off to Blackstone for analysis and the following weekend once the suspension parts come in we'll get underneath and see what's what.

Two quick questions;
I looked through the tech FAQs and didn't see a tutorial on replacing the timing belt, does anyone have a link to one?
-If there is a 4x4 light on the dash, it didn't illuminate. I assume would be one of the grid of lights behind the steering wheel beneath the speedo/tach cluster, but it was too dark when we picked it up last night to see if I could make out an outline in one of them. Would this be a switch on the t-case not signalling the light to come on, as if this is a common issue, or is it more likely to just be a small bulb burned out in there?

[Linked Image]

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/11/18 07:02 PM

FWIW I did manage to find the right manual on mitsubishilinks.com so I now have a process for timing belt replacement. Reading through it, I think I will throw in a new water pump while I'm in there.
More reading will bring me around the dashboard I am sure.
Posted By: GrantCee

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/11/18 10:56 PM

Welcome!

I'm assuming the 3.0l transfer case is the same as the one in my 2.6l, because I don't see anything in the FSM about two different ones.

On the the side of the transfer case are 2 switches, and on the rear is a pulse generator. The 2 switches control the dash lights for the 4x4 on indicator, and are wired in series. If either one is bad, or if the connectors have separated, or if any of the wires coming out of the either switch are broken, the 4x4 indicator will not go on. Then, of course, the indicator itself uses a bulb which can burn out.

The pulse generator on the rear is used for the "hubs engaged" light, and I'm not entirely sure how that system works.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/11/18 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by GrantCee
Welcome!

I'm assuming the 3.0l transfer case is the same as the one in my 2.6l, because I don't see anything in the FSM about two different ones.

On the the side of the transfer case are 2 switches, and on the rear is a pulse generator. The 2 switches control the dash lights for the 4x4 on indicator, and are wired in series. If either one is bad, or if the connectors have separated, or if any of the wires coming out of the either switch are broken, the 4x4 indicator will not go on. Then, of course, the indicator itself uses a bulb which can burn out.

The pulse generator on the rear is used for the "hubs engaged" light, and I'm not entirely sure how that system works.

OK, good to know and thank you for the reply. Having said that, when we tested the transfer case we didn't notice a "Hubs Engaged" signal, either. For my education, I assume the hubs lock in either hi or lo gear?

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/11/18 11:46 PM

Yes, they do. However, it's not unusual for those auto hubs to fail to engage when worn; a lot of us have replaced them with manual hubs for just that reason.

When working, they're designed to disengage when moving backward, which is another reason a lot of folks replace them with manual hubs.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/12/18 12:23 AM

Yeah, the auto-hubs on my old Geo Tracker worked the same way, though back when I had that car I was totally uneducated about 4wd systems. For now I don't anticipate any major off-road adventuring with this thing, so swapping hubs can wait for a while.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/12/18 06:14 PM

Another question came up. I have been looking through a parts catalog from mitsubishilinks.com trying to locate the two switches you refer to. I can find the pulse generator, and I can find the two switches in the FSM, but not in the parts manual. I will be underneath it this weekend and can check the connections, but if I need to replace it I just want to make sure I have the right part numbers.

Also, how's the success rate for converting to R-134a? Again, without having tested the current system for leaks I am not certain what's what, but while driving it the other day the air was cool but not cold and I don't want to waste the effort recharging with 12 if the conversion is worthwhile.

Lastly the oil pressure gauge on the dash doesn't read. Engine doesn't have any knocking or ticking, oil level was good, no leaks so I think its either the pressure switch or the gauge itself.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/12/18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bigshankhank
Another question came up. I have been looking through a parts catalog from mitsubishilinks.com trying to locate the two switches you refer to. I can find the pulse generator, and I can find the two switches in the FSM, but not in the parts manual. I will be underneath it this weekend and can check the connections, but if I need to replace it I just want to make sure I have the right part numbers.

They're on Page 302, #12 and #19:
MD704162
MD704163

Also, how's the success rate for converting to R-134a? Again, without having tested the current system for leaks I am not certain what's what, but while driving it the other day the air was cool but not cold and I don't want to waste the effort recharging with 12 if the conversion is worthwhile.

Mine is still running R12, so I don't know, but I have a friend who's done several R134 conversions and tells me they work fine. He says the key is to make sure all of the old oil is drained out of the compressor and the drier (?) is replaced.

Lastly the oil pressure gauge on the dash doesn't read. Engine doesn't have any knocking or ticking, oil level was good, no leaks so I think its either the pressure switch or the gauge itself.

Probably the sender. They do go out occasionally.
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/13/18 03:23 AM

R-134A conversion was done on my Mighty Max. Works by changing some o-rings and the evaporator...to the best of my knowledge.

Those little light bulbs are now 30.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/13/18 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by rxinhed
R-134A conversion was done on my Mighty Max. Works by changing some o-rings and the evaporator...to the best of my knowledge.

"Evaporator" — that's the word I was trying to remember!

I think my buddy said something about o-rings as well. (I didn't really pay a lot of attention to what he was saying, as mine works fine at the moment.)

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/14/18 11:43 AM

Yeah, research shows a pretty extensive list of replacement parts to do it “right”. I tried it years ago on an old Mazda B-series pickup but kind of half-assed it and it never really worked right. I’ll probably pull a vacuum leak down check and refill it with R-12 if it holds. Winter is coming and flushing the heater core will be more important for the immediate future.

Thanks for the P/N’s for the t-case switches. Got caught running errands all day yesterday so I still haven’t gotten underneath to check things out, I did get a new oil pressure switch and if working on my 4-runner doesn’t take too much time I hope to get to the Raider for an oil change and maybe clean the engine.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/14/18 05:46 PM

Ok, oil changed, waiting on some other parts to show up like the timing belt and shocks. Next weekend we will really dig in to this thing and hopefully finish the tune up.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/18/18 07:30 PM

Can someone take a picture of their Raider/Montero showing the rear wiper? I noticed that I have a washer fluid nozzle above the rear hatch window but no wiper arm. I assume the attachment is behind the spare but I cannot find a picture of one without the spare mounted.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/18/18 07:59 PM

I can't get to mine at the moment, but if you Google "1989 montero rear" and hit Images, in the first 10 will be a rear-end shot of a burgundy LWB without the spare tire.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/18/18 08:59 PM

Well apparently my Google-fu sucks, thank you. Now the question is why the hell would anyone take the entire arm off?

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/19/18 05:19 PM

Quick note, I found an 88 Raider 2.6l/auto in a local salvage yard, no idea what condition its in or how picked over. I am going tomorrow to look for some interior parts, if anyone needs anything I'll try to get some pictures.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/20/18 04:20 PM

Sadly it was pretty picked over, I went looking for a pair of door mirrors and rear wiper and all were gone. I did manage to find an original bottle jack and a replacement driver front 1/4 window. Interior was pretty well stripped, and it had the auto hubs, as did the Isuzu trooper parked next to it.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/20/18 11:37 PM

Here’s the Raider I found.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/20/18 11:46 PM

Spent the day digging my way in to the water pump, and replacing everything rubber on the way back out. Well, we got to the point of replacing the pump, timing belt and tensioner then called it a night. Tomorrow, covers, pulley brackets, belts, flush the radiator and put it back together.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/22/18 01:27 AM

Well we got all the way to the serpentine/alternator belt installed, then my wife came home telling me that the brakes on her car were making a grinding noise. So replacing the pads on that took the rest of the evening. We also managed to get the front shocks on the Raider, and uncovered a big old bodge from the previous owner on the drivers side shock lower mount, but we persevered.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/22/18 02:34 AM

Progress is always good.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/22/18 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by MarkG
Progress is always good.

My wife was asking me last night after my son and I had spent the entire weekend working on the Raider "This isn't going to be a car that needs constant maintenance, is it?" I told her no, it won't need constant maintenance but I've got a long way to go before I am done working on it and can let it ride for a while. After all this, I'll need to go through the brakes and change the tranny, transfer case and front & rear diff fluids and probably replace all of the rubber bits on the suspension and I looked at the front brake pads and they've got a lot of meat on them but I'll need to bleed new fluid through it and same for the power steering and I haven't even pulled the rear wheels off yet to look closer at all of that so who knows? Plus god help me if I can find another Raider in a junkyard nearby because the upholstery on these seats could be freshened up or just find a good set to replace them entirely? Oh honey I'll be working on this thing for a while, but it won't need constant maintenance.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 10/28/18 06:52 PM

Belt, fan and all removed parts have been put back. No leaks. Then we decided to tackle the rear shock replacement, until we realize that Rockauto sent me two different shocks, one with a post/clevis configuration.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 11/10/18 04:33 PM

Finally got the correct rear shock, pulled the old ones out and replaced them, and went over to the tax office and got the tags squared away. Other than a grumble from the PS pump (it’s low on fluid, no biggie) this thing is at least ready to drive for a while.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 11/13/18 08:04 PM

What is the easiest way to clean out the valence between the hood and windshield? This part is removable on my wife's TJ, but here its part of the body.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 11/13/18 11:23 PM

Pull the access panel on the passenger side and the wiper motor on the driver's side and vacuum out from either end.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 11/15/18 03:12 AM

Or, pull a fender from one side, remove the fender liner from the other, and spray through the cavity with a hose.
Posted By: DRTDEVL

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 11/18/18 11:07 PM

I'm late to the show, but kind of an A/C guru.

To convert, all you *need* is the conversion fittings. Flush system, replace accumulator/dryer, change o-rings, draw vacuum, put in 8 oz of PAG oil and the right amount of R134a.

For maximum efficiency, though, the part you all are thinking of is actually the condenser. You need more surface area for better cooling. The problem there is that R134a didn't become standard until 1993, and that is a different body style. You would have to check where the piping enters and exits the 1993+ condenser to see if it can be easily retrofitted. Another possibility I have tinkered with is to mount two exact condensers, one in front of the other, and make a custom pipe from the outlet of the rear one to the inlet of the front one. Put them as far off-center from each other as possible, while still being able to connect the front one's outlet. This would effectively pre-cool the refrigerant a bit in the rear condenser and then fully cool it in the front one. It would also change the optimal refrigerant level, though, so one would have to charge the system to spec, then slowly add more refrigerant until the air doesn't blow any cooler.

Perhaps I'll do that someday and report the results and difficulty levels for the fab work. It seems that as long as you find a way to make a pipe or hose between the two, the mounting adaptation should be pretty easy.
Posted By: Mudraider

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 11/20/18 08:03 PM

Yayyyy! Another Floridian! I'm up in Jax. Highly recommend you go Gen 2 on seats if you can find them, a lot more comfy. Requires you to drill 2 holes.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 11/21/18 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mudraider
Yayyyy! Another Floridian! I'm up in Jax. Highly recommend you go Gen 2 on seats if you can find them, a lot more comfy. Requires you to drill 2 holes.

I'm currently shopping Gen 2 suspension bits as my ball joints are a bit wobbly. The new shocks helped a lot but it should be better.
Seats, well luxury items like that are down the way a little bit but I'll keep it in mind.

Do you make it down to Ocala at all? Once I get the suspension sorted the wife and I are thinking of bringing this and her TJ up there for a weekend of driving.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 11/26/18 01:05 PM

Ocala National Forest, or Hardrock ORP in Ocala? More the latter than the former, but my Facebook group, Florida Mitsubishi 4X4 is going to have a ride/campout in late January in one of those 2 places based on turnout.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 11/30/18 06:09 AM

Never been to either, but January is already booked up in our world so I’ll have to keep an eye out for another Spring weekend.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 12/23/18 05:26 PM

We had some bad bad wind and rain storms down here in Florida this past week, and in the process of driving through one of them the end of my passenger windshield wiper arm snapped off, ended up scratching the glass of the windshield until I could get to a gas station and buy a pair of pliers to pull it off. Swung by the local junkyard and pulled both of them off of the Raider in the yard, looks like someone has been picking parts off of it since the last time I saw it. Gonna have to snag the wheels and seats sooner rather than later.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 12/23/18 07:55 PM

Also noticed that I had a bolt jammed in to my passenger rear tire, so I had to pull and plug that one. Saving up for new tires once I get the OEM rims.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 12/26/18 01:34 PM

New wipers installed, plus while I was at the JY I grabbed the gauge binnacle for the oil pressure gauge. Small issue with the one in my truck is in addition to the pressure gauge not working, the lens on the voltmeter is cracked, so I pulled apart the replacement one, swapped out both parts and voila, I no longer have a cracked lens. As for the oil pressure gauge, at least the new one moves, though after about 30 seconds it drops back to zero. While I was in there I scrubbed and armor-all'ed the dash underneath and behind the binnacle, since the PO had spilled something up there once upon a time and I've had hell getting it all cleaned up. Probably going to have to remove the big Oh Shit handle to really get it all clean again.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 12/27/18 07:08 PM

I did have a good lol this afternoon. The spare tire cover, though in good shape, had come loose and the draw string was broken so I took the cover off and tossed it in the back. I decided to check the date code on the spare, 19th week of 1990. So yeah, I don't think its the original tire but its probably from the 2nd set.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 01/10/19 12:07 PM

Has anyone ever sent an oil sample to a lab for analysis? I sent some from my oil change this past weekend, just curious how these engines wear internally. I know it burns oil but a friend of mine who has been working at a Chrysler dealership for almost 25 years tells me this engine was notorious for that.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 01/11/19 04:11 AM

Yes, send oil samples to Blackstone Lsbs frequently.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 01/21/19 07:04 PM

Damn, got the oil analysis back, lots of lead, lots of copper.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 03/01/19 09:16 PM

Hey this bad mamma-jamma just eclipsed 200k! Of course I bought it at 193K, but she is still humming along nicely.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 03/03/19 07:15 PM

Speaking of, once I hit 200,000 miles the maintenance light came on, and I cannot find anything here on how to reset it. Is it just a matter of pulling the + lead off of the battery and allowing the ECU to reset? If not, how can I reset this?
Posted By: cheesegrater

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 03/04/19 11:55 AM

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/how-reset-"service-required"-light-26541/

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 03/04/19 05:48 PM

I figured it had to be a mechanical switch somewhere, that's awesome thank you!

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 05/09/19 08:40 PM

Finally decided to stop risking my life on the highway and replaced the old Primewells for something just a shade better, and definitely newer.

Attached File
Raider New Tires (4).jpg  (10 downloads)
Attached File
Raider Old Tires (5).jpg  (5 downloads)
Posted By: Tuxedo_Ranch

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 05/11/19 02:20 AM

New tires look good, what size are they? I hope mine looks good with it's new tires, just gotta get it out of the shop. Having a difficult time being patient.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 05/11/19 11:53 AM

31x10.50x15, they are not OEM size but its what the PO had on it when I got it. The spare is the correct size but its also on an OEM rim, I debated pulling a set of original rims of a junkyard Raider I found locally just so everything matched but the Toyota rims that are on mine are wider, and frankly I was too lazy to lug a jack out to the back of the junkyard to get the other ones lol.
Posted By: Tuxedo_Ranch

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 05/12/19 12:36 PM

I bought some new Pro Comp 69 series wheels a couple months ago for $67 each (w/ free shipping) at "4wheelparts.com". They are flat black which will match the motif I'm going for on my Raider.

Read your PM about the wiper arm and give me your address so I can get it shipped out to you.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 05/27/19 02:24 PM

Well rehabbing the brakes has turned in to a nightmare. It’s obviously been quite some time since they were serviced, and yes I am ashamed for putting it off so long but despite a tug to the left when pressed hard, they weren’t making any noise and they were technically still stopping the vehicle. But I started hearing a squeak so I figured it was finally time to dig in, I bought new shoes, hardware and cylinders for the rears, and new pads and bleeders for the front, plus tons of spray cleaner and new DOT3.
I never got past the rears, in fact as of writing this I am three days in and still not done with them. Several of the springs and one shoe retainer pin were on the verge of failure due to rust, plus I had to drill out a lug because it broke loose and was spinning. Then once I finally got everything cleaned up, reassembled (I’ll still have to take it to a shop to press in a replacement lug) and I started bleeding everything one of the hard lines broke and sprayed fluid all over my rear diff. I bought a replacement line and was about to start bending it in to shape but then decided I’d had enough last night and just hopped in my pool. Gotta finish at least the rears today, and save the fronts for next weekend.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 05/27/19 03:28 PM

You don't need a press for a lug, just use a stock steel type lug nut and thread the lug tight. Make sure to use the flat of the nut and some light grease to prevent galling.

The brake line you purchased is metric, yes? Don't forget to clean and repaint wherever brake fluid sprayed.

Are you also replacing the several brake hoses in this refresh?

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 05/28/19 12:23 AM

That’s a good point, any chance you know a good source for stainless lines?

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 05/28/19 03:29 PM

Went ahead and ordered plain old rubber for both sets of upper and lower hoses up the front. That'll all go in this coming weekend along with new pads and reflush the system one last time, plus I need to fine tune the adjustment on the parking brake.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 05/29/19 04:54 PM

Whats the wiring situation for the rear wiper? When I first got this truck, it didn't have a wiper arm but I could hit the switch and watch the mount swing back and forth. Now I have a wiper arm (Thanks Tuxedo!) but upon hitting the switch nothing happens, although I can press up on the switch and the washer fluid sprayer works fine. Just no movement. Is the switch prone to corrosion/failure like the hazard switch issue? Or is there a relay somewhere? I did check the fuse and its good.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 06/03/19 02:25 PM

Geez these brakes continue to wear me out. The driver's side went smooth. The passenger side was sticking on the upper pin, which I absolutely could not un-stick. Upon removing the entire assembly of course the short hard line snapped, so back to the local NAPA to order a new caliper & bracket, get some new hard lines & fittings and replace them on both sides. I was planning to replace the rubber lines as part of this and am assuming the hard line on the driver's side will probably break just as easily.
The good news is, the core charge is greater than the replacement caliper, meaning I will make about $10 for this swap. Almost makes me want to go ahead and replace the driver's side caliper as well.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 06/06/19 12:57 AM

There is a relay under the dash. Perhaps the motor needs to be cleaned to accommodate time and grime? The switch contacts also corrode, yes.

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 06/08/19 12:45 PM

Well I picked up the caliper and bracket so that’s today’s priority, after that who knows. Rear wiper? Strip and polish the rims? Rust mitigation? The possibilities are endless!

Re: Introduction & New Raider - 08/04/19 02:18 PM

Still fettling on this old dog. Once I finished the brakes they are solid as a brick now, I can let go of the wheel and cram the pedal and the truck stops in a straight line, which is a nice feature.
Haven’t sorted the rear wiper. The switch was broken much like the flasher switch but even after sorting that out and reassembling it, the wiper itself still doesn’t work. Gonna have to pull the tailgate panel and check the motor I guess, but the one Raider I have found in a local yard has already been stripped of that part.
Lastly, I’m going to have to figure out what to do with the body rust, it’s slowly creeping up the lower rocker panels.
© 2019 4x4Wire TrailTalk