4x4Wire TrailTalk

New Here... Will it Fit?

Posted By: srd_raider

New Here... Will it Fit? - 03/18/19 02:14 PM

Hello everyone. New here as I just bought a 1988 Montero 4cyl. SWB Automatic.

I have an opportunity to buy a Dodge Raider v6 5 speed dirt cheap. This got me thinking about converting my automatic to a manual.
I have a feeling that the Manual from the v6 won't bolt to the 4cyl motor, but thought I'd ask anyways. Would any of you know if this would work?

Not keen on the different transmission terminology (specific to Mitsu) so am having issues properly searching this topic. I did find somewhere that the v6 Monteros came with the KM148 that is also in my 4cyl.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Re: New Here... Will it Fit? - 03/18/19 07:00 PM

Did some more digging and found this.
http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1031403/Searchpage/2/Main/130486/Words/%2BKM148/Search/true/re-89-2-6l-manuel-to-automatic.html#Post1031403

A post by user lc82cj7 said:
"The 1987 & 1989 Dodge Raider, Dodge D50 pickup, Mitsubishi Montero & Mistu Pickup all used the same A44D Assin Automatic Transmission, which are also referenced as KM148, AW372.
Keep in mind some had 3.0 V6 engines and some had 2.6L I4. The transmissions were the same, but the front removable bell housings are different (to the best I can find). Also 2 wheel drive models will have the long tail housing, you want a 4x4 transmission, which will not have the long tail housing and will bolt to a transfer case. If you could only find a 2 wheel drive trans you could remove the rear tail section, but I don't know if the output shaft matches a 4x4s."

So it sounds like the 3.0 and 2.6l can share the manual transmission, just need to swap over the bell housing. Can someone confirm this?

Thank you,
Andy
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: New Here... Will it Fit? - 03/24/19 03:13 AM

The V6 transmission is the sought after V5MT1. The 4-cyl trans (stick) is a KM-145, and is nowhere near as durable, and does not have a removable bellhousing.

With luck and diligence, it is possible to locate and use the V5MT1 behind a diesel 2.3L bellhousing, as I will be doing with my 2.6L turbo Mighty Max. The diesel bellhousing has the same bolt pattern as the 2.6 engine side.

Russell

Re: New Here... Will it Fit? - 03/24/19 10:16 PM

Thanks, Russell.

I think I'm now leaning more towards a complete v6 swap. My 4cyl. is still running so it will give me time to either build up the original blown v6 or get another one and use the V5MT1 transmission.

Does anyone know if the Gen2 6g72 motor fits in a Gen1?

Andy

BTW, I will be coming into a lot of spare parts off the Raider. Let me know if anyone needs anything. I'll be sure to grab it before the car is scrapped.

Re: New Here... Will it Fit? - 03/30/19 08:40 PM

The V6 model had many changes from the 4-cyl. If I had both, I'd build the V6. This is not any easy swap.
Posted By: Tuxedo_Ranch

Re: New Here... Will it Fit? - 04/03/19 04:07 PM

srd_raider,

I've also come into possession of an 87 raider that I'm re-working. Was wondering if you could PM me some pictures of your spare parts raider so I could see what you have available before you scrap it.

Thanks,
LTUX

Re: New Here... Will it Fit? - 04/22/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by rxinhed
The V6 model had many changes from the 4-cyl. If I had both, I'd build the V6. This is not any easy swap.

Hi, what are some of the differences you are referring to?
The frame on the donor v6 is not in the best condition.

Re: New Here... Will it Fit? - 04/28/19 12:01 AM

Well, for one thing, the frame has many differences. Motor mounts, trans-x member, fuel tank, fuel lines, electronics, exhaust, brake system (larger front rotors), speedo cluster, transmission. All these are different than the carb 4-cyl. This conversion has been done, but for the effort, there are better alternative conversion engines.
© 2019 4x4Wire TrailTalk