4x4Wire TrailTalk

Something went bang!

Posted By: 87CanadianRaider

Something went bang! - 04/11/19 10:18 PM

Well I put a few monthis of work into my 88 montero last fall, trying to do as clean a build as I could to make it pass safety here in Ontario. Ran great all winter as my plow truck, and I was looking forward to getting her out in the bush. Kids were excited too. Until today! I hadn't really taken it far from home over the winter so today giving it a good run on the highway, I was going up a rather steep hill ( read: screaming along at almost 4k on the tach) when BANG. then she sounded like a diesel till I got to the side of the road. she started 2 more times but couldn't run under load and then nothing. wouldn't turn over at all.
Towed the girl home and now I cant budge the crank with a bar. It ain't looking good. time to go back to the garage for the post mortem.

Sheldon
Posted By: Bigshankhank

Re: Something went bang! - 04/13/19 03:59 PM

Best of luck to you, had much the same thing happen in my wife’s Jeep TJ. Turned out to be a warped cylinder head, but luckily parts availability for the Wrangler is slightly better than the Raider/Montero’s.
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: Something went bang! - 04/13/19 08:12 PM

There are so many places to start, but the 2.6L is notorious for crank and rotating-mass failures following episodes you describe.
Posted By: Tuxedo_Ranch

Re: Something went bang! - 04/14/19 11:35 PM

Best of luck to you Sheldon.

I wish I knew more about them and could help, but you've been a member for quite a while and I'm sure you know more than me.

Hope you get it running again soon so you can take the family out exploring in it.

Re: Something went bang! - 04/15/19 02:15 AM

Thanks guys, the garage is cleaned out. time to pull it down. not sure where I'd find another 2.6 near me if it come to that. i really don't wanna do the vortec swap.
Posted By: chadzeilenga

Re: Something went bang! - 04/15/19 04:04 AM

Saunders in Thorndale has one. 1-800-265-0369

Re: Something went bang! - 04/20/19 06:59 PM

well put a scope down the chaincase to find no teeth left on the silent shift gear. Thoughts? worth the repair?, do a delete kit? Guess I better take it apart to really tell.

Re: Something went bang! - 04/21/19 04:31 AM

How well do the “silencer shaft” delete kits work? I’ve seen them online but is it something that’s good for the engine?

Re: Something went bang! - 04/21/19 02:46 PM

I think the general consensus is to keep the silence shafts if you want to keep all your fillings. it'll all depend on how the bearings are in the block.

Re: Something went bang! - 04/30/19 12:27 AM

So what's the diagnosis? Have you had a chance to tear it down yet?

Re: Something went bang! - 04/30/19 03:12 AM

sadly I haven't pulled it down yet. I've been busy with flood season here. When the dust settles I'll check it out and keep you posted!
© 2019 4x4Wire TrailTalk