4x4Wire TrailTalk

Valve Seal Replacements - Steps

Posted By: KWitcher

Valve Seal Replacements - Steps - 03/21/20 09:05 PM

I know I am probably the last person still doing this.

I have started taking everything apart but I'm not sure what all needs to come off. I can find lots of documentation about getting the timing set and removing the spring retainers, but not the steps to get there. Right now I am trying to figure to how to get the big plate covering the water pump and the front of the engine. Do I have to remove the AC pump?

Is there any documentation describing what has to come off to replace the water pump, timing belt, and get to the valve seals?

Or if you have done the job before and could answer some questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I't started running really bad and I thought I had blown a head gasket so I told my 16 year old son, if he bought the parts and helped me do the work he could have my 95 Monty 3.5. I figure we spend time together and he is earning his Man Card.

Ken
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Valve Seal Replacements - Steps - 03/25/20 04:50 PM

www.mitsubishilinks.com has service manuals. The FSM (Factory Service Manual) can get you started.

Re: Valve Seal Replacements - Steps - 03/27/20 09:56 PM

I had the service manuals and have pieced together enough from the forum that I have eveything off down to the timing belt. All that is left is the timing belt, and the cams. Then I will be replacing the seals hopefully tomorrow.

Right now I'm stuck, b/c I cant find the timing marks on the crank timing sprocket. I have the cam marks lined up but I'm not pulling the belt until I can confirm where the marks are on the crank sprocket. I dont see marks where the manual tells me they are.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken

Re: Valve Seal Replacements - Steps - 03/27/20 10:35 PM

According to the manuel for the 95 3.5L engine. The timing mark is about 1 o'clock. Before taking belt of my crank sprocket is at about 11 o'clock when the cams are lined up. Would the engine even run if the timing where off that bad?

Ken
Posted By: rascott

Re: Valve Seal Replacements - Steps - 03/28/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by KWitcher
According to the manuel for the 95 3.5L engine. The timing mark is about 1 o'clock. Before taking belt of my crank sprocket is at about 11 o'clock when the cams are lined up. Would the engine even run if the timing where off that bad?

Ken

you mentioned that it didn't run well...… but have proved it could.

sounds like a fine dad/son project. pay attention to the book and what could go wrong?

i had an '86 w/the tractor motor, so i can only offer encouragement.
richard
© 2020 4x4Wire TrailTalk