4x4Wire TrailTalk

GEN1 AT AW372 Manual Shaft Seal Replacement

Posted By: chadzeilenga

GEN1 AT AW372 Manual Shaft Seal Replacement - 08/31/20 04:34 AM

Hi All,
I'm chasing down a small leak in my 89 LWB with an AW372 automatic transmission. I thought it might be my pan gasket, but all the bolts were pretty snug when I removed, so now I'm looking above it for a possible leak source. I get a very small puddle (3" dia) after it sits for ~1wk. The farthest forward I can see any wetness is near the Manual Shaft (shifter shaft) and according to the FSM (pg 21-140) there appears to be a seal on each end of this shaft.

Has anyone replaced these seals with the transmission in the vehicle?
What tool did you use to do it? I have seen some generic tools at Napa that claim to be for this (Balkamp BK 7769250), but don't know if they will work

This leak started a while ago after I had overfilled the trans after a drain & fill of the fluid. I've been dealing with the leak and finally got around to investigating further. The drips are typically coming from the passenger rear area of the transmission, but I can't tell if that is just where the accumulation is as the drip is extremely slow.

Attached File
Capture.JPG  (3 downloads)
Posted By: MarkG

Re: GEN1 AT AW372 Manual Shaft Seal Replacement - 09/06/20 02:44 AM

One way to track down small leaks ......
Clean the area with a good degreaser. Drive the rig a bit. Use some fine powder (like talc, etc) to dust the area. The power will not stick to the cleaned areas. But, it will stick to the areas that have oil. This will let you track down a small leak that is difficult to do otherwise.
Posted By: chadzeilenga

Re: GEN1 AT AW372 Manual Shaft Seal Replacement - 09/06/20 03:52 AM

Hey Mark,
That is a good idea. I have a fresh pan gasket and the manual shaft seals installed, I think the other possible culprit is the PTO cover
Posted By: MarkG

Re: GEN1 AT AW372 Manual Shaft Seal Replacement - 09/09/20 02:19 PM

I can't credit for the idea. I first heard this from FastEddy.
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: GEN1 AT AW372 Manual Shaft Seal Replacement - 09/22/20 04:04 PM

He continues to provide good advice.
© 2020 4x4Wire TrailTalk