4x4Wire TrailTalk

Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights.

Posted By: Trailmonkey

Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 10/22/20 07:37 PM

Ok had my brake and turn lights stop working, a quick Google search and seen it would be the Hazard switch, yep its broke.
Ok I can do this (yeah ok) connected the wires together that would be in contact when the switch was off.
Cool I got turn signals now... still no brake lights.

Power to the switch, check... switch works, check... BL power to the plug, check.

Now what ? Any other wire I connect with doesn't work or not correctly.
Yes all bulbs work in the rear, checked.
I can get brake lights. But its apparently the same filament of the bulb as the taillight.... so when the headlights are on no blinky...

Damn switches go for $150 if you can even find one..

Any guru's that's been there done this got any wisdom for me ?

Yes fuses ok. None of the color codes in my manual match up with my wiring. Can i just bypass the plug at the hazard switch and run the BL lead to the wire going to the back ?

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 10/22/20 08:41 PM

Im still reading threads about the dang hazard switch. Lol seems to happen alot.
Should have done what i srarted to do, push the contacts to the off position and epoxy the whole thing shut., no hazard lights but all else works.
Nooo i had to unsolder the wires and connect the 2 on each side that the contacts touched. .
It worked.. but only the turn signals did.

I simply dont have brake light switch power going to the right wire to get brake lights now.
The wire that sends brake light power from the switch is a Green with Red Strip wire. What the heck does it connet to ?
Posted By: chadzeilenga

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 10/22/20 09:33 PM

I see a fair number of GEN1's in junk yards with minor damage to the rear bumper. I think these have failed hazard switches and were involved in a rear collision due to non-operating brake lights.

I was able to get a replacement unit through RockAuto P/N 1S13545. I believe you can setup a notification when they are in-stock.

I've also seen a newer aftermarket style but don't recall the brand and am not sure how plug&play these are, but others have used them.

Although price is steep, seems like a worthwile investment considering the failure modes

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 10/22/20 09:44 PM

Yeah i need a plug and play switch or figure out how to just bypass the whole thing.. mess with me and ill run the brake light wires to a relay triggered by the brake light switch.
Posted By: 87CanadianRaider

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 10/22/20 10:02 PM

I have 2 raiders in the yard still. Which switch do u need exactly?

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 10/22/20 11:50 PM

The hazard light switch, its a rocker switch not the push button type. Has like 11 wires out the back.

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 10/23/20 11:36 PM

This one.

Attached File

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 11/03/20 02:22 AM

Can someone take a pic of the wires on the back of the switch for me ? So i can color match the wires on the correct locations please. This manual does not match up properly.

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 11/05/20 09:47 PM

No one has one they can take a pic of to help me out ?

It would help so many if we could know what wires to just solder together that have a bad switch, id rather not have hazard flashers and have my brake lights-turn and tail lights work.

Plus its been very slow in here, whats other good montero forums ?
Posted By: chadzeilenga

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 11/05/20 10:26 PM

Hi, I have a slightly broken Hazard switch (there is an issue with the switch throw, but it does have all of the wiring intact. I can take a picture or send to you for shipping costs

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 11/06/20 12:37 AM

That would be perfect. I can definitely use that.

P.M. me info.

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 11/06/20 04:59 PM

Anyone else got broken hazard switches let me know. I messed up on mine but now know what to do and fix them, you wont be able to use the hazard flashers but all the rest will work.

Ill fix them for $15 plus shipping.
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 11/07/20 03:23 AM

Alan Casetta is getting about $115 for new hazard switches

PN: MB330277

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 11/07/20 01:30 PM

I just want an old one to fix up, set it to the hazards off position and epoxy that bad boy so it wont move..
Started to do mine that way but thought i could just jump the wires that the contacts made only. Removed the rest. Got the turn signals working but no brake lights. : (

Re: Hazard Switch gone bad, no lights. - 11/17/20 12:33 AM

Well got my lights working, less hazard flashers. Simple mistake i made but thanks to Chad ive got it worked out.
If anyone else has a bad switch, or no switch and needs their brake lights working again let me know, its a super simple 2 jumper wires and you will be back on the road even with no actual switch.
© 2021 4x4Wire TrailTalk