4x4Wire TrailTalk

GEN I Auto hubs

Posted By: JAVYPRO

GEN I Auto hubs - 02/14/21 04:43 PM

Hey gang,
It has been a while, how are y’all doing?

With the little snow that we got last week in Georgia I decided to exercise the 4WD a little bit. Now it won’t disengage from 4h. Shifted into 2h, backed up and the 4WD symbol goes away but not the wheel lock light. Drive forward and a grinding noise is noticeable on the driver side, I then shift to 4WD and the noise goes away.

During summer time, I replaced the bearings and packed the hubs with grease but did not use the 4WD. They have always been bulletproof and she doesn’t see any hardcore wheeling, in fact it sees 4WD maybe once a year since is is mostly a daily commuter so it could be lack of use, who knows.

It is currently on my floor jack to see if there is something visibly obvious.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Javy
Posted By: MarkG

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/15/21 03:53 AM

Good to know your Gen 1 is still on the road.

Drive a bit north. We had plenty of snow.

If I remember correctly, the auto hubs are lubricated with oil, not grease.
Posted By: JAVYPRO

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/15/21 03:29 PM

Mark,
So good to hear from you and to know that the “veterans” of the 4x4wire are still around, awesome.

I still got my 2 GEN Is SWB and LWB plus my GEN III.

I took the hub cover off and found the the passenger side is missing the C clip at the en of the axel, I pushed the gear sleeve and it release the axel so my problem might be on that side.
If it use oil then how do I lube it and keep it lubed?

I found a alternative C clip so I will see if it works.

Thanks
Javy

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/15/21 06:10 PM

Javy,

The wire isn't as busy as it once was. There are some active groups on facebook; "Mitsubishi Monteros USA", "Dodge Raider Community", "Mitsubishi Montero FSM Crew", "Mitsubishi Montero USA Parts Exchange" and "Mitsubishi Gen 3 Squad".

There is sealant between the free wheel and the wheel hub. There is an O-ring under the hub cover. <-- These will keep the lubricants in and water/dirt out.

If you need a C clip, post back. I probably have one.
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/16/21 01:30 AM

The Auto Hub has been one of the bane parts of the marque. White lithium grease is the lube of choice, according to the FSM. Before you chase this repair, it's so much more efficient to get some new Aisin hubs from Amazon.

Cheerio,
Russell

...closing in on #15 now
Posted By: Mudraider

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/16/21 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by rxinhed
The Auto Hub has been one of the bane parts of the marque. White lithium grease is the lube of choice, according to the FSM. Before you chase this repair, it's so much more efficient to get some new Aisin hubs from Amazon.

Cheerio,
Russell

...closing in on #15 now

This white lithium grease is really important. Lighter than wheel bearing grease, it allows the mechanical actuators inside the Autohubs to move properly, whereas a solid chunk of wheel bearing grease will just gum up the pieces inside the Autohub.
Posted By: MontyMcV

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/16/21 04:39 PM

Yes, put some Aisin hubs on.
Posted By: Trailmonkey

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/17/21 08:24 PM

Opps. Packed my whole setup with grease lol
Still locks and unlocks..
May take the cap off and put some oil in to thin it some at the locking hubs ?

Did you get yours working yet ?
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/25/21 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Trailmonkey
... put some oil in to thin it some at the locking hubs...

Oil will have different chemical properties and won't mix anyway. Better to just clear the workings.
Posted By: keetz

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 03/14/22 06:55 PM

revival on this thread to see if anyone has any ideas - Mine happened to have that wheel lock light stuck on when i first bought it. It was snowing at the time and the guy I bought it from only had it for a couple of months and said something to the effect of "that wheel lock light has always been on - but I've only driven it in 4wd"
I got in to test drive it - It was in 4H. I backed out of the parking space and shifted into "D" and put it in 2H as I was rolling forward - the wheel lock stayed on (it might have flashed, I can't remember) - and I drove forward maybe 20 feet then put it in reverse for about 5 feet - then back into D, then the light went off - and stayed off.

I've been too scared to try putting it back in 4H or 4L ever since - at least until the hubs are serviced - and I haven't been able to find replacement parts for the factory air hubs. Sounds like this is something that can simply be taken apart, cleaned, greased and put back together to fix any kinks? I'm getting ready to have the entire front suspension + axles replaced (just need to buy the upper control arms to have all the parts) but i'm not sure what direction I should ask the mechanic to go with the front hubs yet.....
Posted By: calque

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 03/15/22 01:10 AM

keetz, your automatic hubs sound about normal. If you still have the factory sticker on your driver's side door it mentions that you need to reverse about 5 feet in order to disengage the auto lock. They shouldn't disengage unless you reverse. Also, there is nothing to be scared of unless you hear weird noises.

That said, in the long run, I recommend manual hubs. The Gen1 auto hubs were pretty basic in functionality anyway. Automatic hubs have parts that wear down and as you found, the replacement parts are hard or impossible to come by. The manual hubs are more reliable because they have minimal wear parts. I use the Aisin FHM-002 hubs on my Gen1.

If you have your mechanic swap out your hubs, ask to keep the original ones—they will still be a decent set of trail spares, or someone on the internet will buy them from you if you don't want them.

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 03/15/22 04:10 AM

thanks for the reply - I just checked and I do still have the sticker there. I figured as much when I was checking the vehicle out that it probably needed to go backward to get them out of auto from driving some other 80's 4x4s when I was teenager but still wasn't totally sure enough to bank on the guy I got it from just not really knowing - I only know maybe 2% more. ha

sorry I'm prob. asking a ton of dumb questions but really trying to soak up as much as I can -
So what happens to my system if I move to manual hubs? It can't be as simply as just swapping out the hubs themselves can it? I would imagine there's gotta be a vacuum system that engages the auto ones so how do I deal with the light system on my dash that comes on when it's locked if i move to manual? Do i lose that? Is the computer going to do (or not do) something different if the auto hubs aren't there?

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 03/15/22 05:22 AM

The auto hubs should not be greased. Manual hubs can be greased. Auto hubs need oil. Check the FSM for details. When auto hubs are greased, they stick and become slow to lock/unlock.

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 03/15/22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mudraider
Originally Posted by rxinhed

Cheerio,
Russell

...closing in on #15 now

This white lithium grease is really important. Lighter than wheel bearing grease, it allows the mechanical actuators inside the Autohubs to move properly, whereas a solid chunk of wheel bearing grease will just gum up the pieces inside the Autohub.

so no white lithium grease inside the autohubs? I see where he's saying not to use thicker grease and that matches up with the comment about "no grease, only oil" - but do we know for sure that white lithium grease is also no good?
Posted By: calque

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 03/16/22 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by keetz
So what happens to my system if I move to manual hubs? It can't be as simply as just swapping out the hubs themselves can it? I would imagine there's gotta be a vacuum system that engages the auto ones so how do I deal with the light system on my dash that comes on when it's locked if i move to manual? Do i lose that? Is the computer going to do (or not do) something different if the auto hubs aren't there?

It is as simple as swapping the hubs themselves. There is no vacuum system for locking hubs on the Gen1 Monteros. The light on the dash works with either auto hubs or manual hubs.

Interesting that there's so many different interpretations of the factory service manual for lubricating auto hubs. The main thing that folks should agree on is that you should never pack an auto/manual hub full of grease. It's a bit counterintuitive because you should use liberal amounts of grease on the wheel bearings and in the space where the wheel bearings are (which is confusingly also called a wheel hub). To add to the confusion, the auto/manual hubs and the wheel hub share the same cavity. They just use different amounts of lubrication.

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 03/16/22 05:04 PM

great to know the manual hubs won't affect the dash or any necessitate any other non-factory changes.

I think I got it regarding the lubrication:
pack bearings/races as usual with grease
- put em in.
Put the hub in -
lubricate hub with oil
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk