4x4Wire TrailTalk

GEN I Auto hubs

Posted By: JAVYPRO

GEN I Auto hubs - 02/14/21 04:43 PM

Hey gang,
It has been a while, how are y’all doing?

With the little snow that we got last week in Georgia I decided to exercise the 4WD a little bit. Now it won’t disengage from 4h. Shifted into 2h, backed up and the 4WD symbol goes away but not the wheel lock light. Drive forward and a grinding noise is noticeable on the driver side, I then shift to 4WD and the noise goes away.

During summer time, I replaced the bearings and packed the hubs with grease but did not use the 4WD. They have always been bulletproof and she doesn’t see any hardcore wheeling, in fact it sees 4WD maybe once a year since is is mostly a daily commuter so it could be lack of use, who knows.

It is currently on my floor jack to see if there is something visibly obvious.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Javy
Posted By: MarkG

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/15/21 03:53 AM

Good to know your Gen 1 is still on the road.

Drive a bit north. We had plenty of snow.

If I remember correctly, the auto hubs are lubricated with oil, not grease.
Posted By: JAVYPRO

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/15/21 03:29 PM

Mark,
So good to hear from you and to know that the “veterans” of the 4x4wire are still around, awesome.

I still got my 2 GEN Is SWB and LWB plus my GEN III.

I took the hub cover off and found the the passenger side is missing the C clip at the en of the axel, I pushed the gear sleeve and it release the axel so my problem might be on that side.
If it use oil then how do I lube it and keep it lubed?

I found a alternative C clip so I will see if it works.

Thanks
Javy
Posted By: MarkG

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/15/21 06:10 PM

Javy,

The wire isn't as busy as it once was. There are some active groups on facebook; "Mitsubishi Monteros USA", "Dodge Raider Community", "Mitsubishi Montero FSM Crew", "Mitsubishi Montero USA Parts Exchange" and "Mitsubishi Gen 3 Squad".

There is sealant between the free wheel and the wheel hub. There is an O-ring under the hub cover. <-- These will keep the lubricants in and water/dirt out.

If you need a C clip, post back. I probably have one.
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/16/21 01:30 AM

The Auto Hub has been one of the bane parts of the marque. White lithium grease is the lube of choice, according to the FSM. Before you chase this repair, it's so much more efficient to get some new Aisin hubs from Amazon.

Cheerio,
Russell

...closing in on #15 now
Posted By: Mudraider

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/16/21 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by rxinhed
The Auto Hub has been one of the bane parts of the marque. White lithium grease is the lube of choice, according to the FSM. Before you chase this repair, it's so much more efficient to get some new Aisin hubs from Amazon.

Cheerio,
Russell

...closing in on #15 now

This white lithium grease is really important. Lighter than wheel bearing grease, it allows the mechanical actuators inside the Autohubs to move properly, whereas a solid chunk of wheel bearing grease will just gum up the pieces inside the Autohub.
Posted By: MontyMcV

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/16/21 04:39 PM

Yes, put some Aisin hubs on.
Posted By: Trailmonkey

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/17/21 08:24 PM

Opps. Packed my whole setup with grease lol
Still locks and unlocks..
May take the cap off and put some oil in to thin it some at the locking hubs ?

Did you get yours working yet ?
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: GEN I Auto hubs - 02/25/21 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Trailmonkey
... put some oil in to thin it some at the locking hubs...

Oil will have different chemical properties and won't mix anyway. Better to just clear the workings.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk