4x4Wire TrailTalk

Sad day for my wife Gen III

Posted By: JAVYPRO

Sad day for my wife Gen III - 12/04/21 04:30 PM

Hey guys,
yes it is a sad day for my wife GEN III XLS which we purchased new & 0 miles back in 2001. We gave the car to our daughter for college and for the past 243,000 miles the only thing that was ever replaced was the radiator.

Well on a mishap, she ran the engine low on oil and it has developed an internal noise.

I love the truck but I do not have the time to work on it, it will have to go to someone with the time or to the junkyard.

Dang it is sad.

Thanks,
Javy
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 12/04/21 06:08 PM

In that time, you must have replaced the timing belt, too?

Your daughter needs to pony up, friend.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 12/07/21 02:33 AM

Oh no.....

It would be a shame to see it in a junkyard. There is a "Mitsubishi Montero USA Parts Exchange" group on FB. Maybe someone there would be interested.

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 01/12/22 01:04 AM

Hey guys,
This Montero was so well taken care of that when I took it to the dealership for a transmission flush they were surprised. They said it looked like brand new from bumper to bumper with all its mechanicals in tip top shape and maintenance to match BUT a rookie mistake.
I am going to fix it. But need a source for the how to remove the engine, well, how to disconnect the torque converter in particular. It looks like PITA.

Javy
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 01/23/22 02:57 AM

There is an inspection plate on the bottom of the bellhousing that will present the flexplate and torque convertor bolts to your eye. Remove the bolts, thus leaving the TQ in place. Pull engine and go.

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 01/30/22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by rxinhed
There is an inspection plate on the bottom of the bellhousing that will present the flexplate and torque convertor bolts to your eye. Remove the bolts, thus leaving the TQ in place. Pull engine and go.

I’m sorry but I don’t see such inspection plate. This is the 4 speed on the XLS, would that make a difference?

I have not started the disassembly just yet due to the cold weather and freezing garage floor =) but, I am guessing that removing the bolts through the engine starter hole will be a very tight space to do it through. It will be crazy, I mean removing the spark plugs is an insane process so I wouldn’t be surprised, BUT imagine having all bolts in minus one and drop that bolt inside the bell housing? Just imaging it sends a cold feeling down my spine!!!

That is the only thing that keeps dancing in my head. The machine shop can do the short block assembly so that will save me from that extra step. I have done the heads and timing belt of my Gen I V6 and 2.6 so I’m not worried about those.

I’m also pondering on removing the heads and all surrounding accessories before removing the engine or if I should remove the engine as a whole unit. The latter gives me the opportunity of taking my time to “safely” do the unbolting process since you know how “delicate” Mitsubishi’s bolts can turn out to be.

I have downloaded the FSM but so far I have not come across definite information on the torque converter bolts.

Thanks,
Javy
Posted By: OldColt

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 01/31/22 03:41 PM

Front face, drivers side.

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 02/09/22 10:21 PM

Saturday is the day. I will start tackling the engine removal, will keep you posted

Javy
Posted By: OldColt

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 02/10/22 07:44 AM

One thing to pay attention to, if your donor engine came from a 5 Spd vehicle the bolt circle on the flexplate for the TC is a different diameter than a 4Spd.

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 02/18/22 03:32 PM

I am rebuilding the engine, I removed the Dow pipes, radiator and accessories. Checking on that access port on the driver side this weekend, I got to get the engine out ASAP.
I am bagging all the bolts and marking everything.

Javy
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Sad day for my wife Gen III - 02/18/22 09:59 PM

Taking photos also helps.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk