4x4Wire TrailTalk

98 Monty Purchase?? Tranny problem question.

Posted By: FireDude

98 Monty Purchase?? Tranny problem question. - 12/29/21 01:26 PM

Hey Guys, 1st post here. I've been searching for the right Montero for about a year now. I guide hunts and hunt myself. Must haves are center and rear diff lock. I found a 98 Monty Sport XLS. A BIT HAMMERED cosmetically. But it has sat for about 2 years, has 170k miles, runs decent but the tranny won't shift on its own. You can shift it manually but there is still no 2nd. Has to go straight from 1-3. He claims he replaces some solenoids but found no continuity to the harness in a port???? If I understood him correctly. Not sure if the RD is working properly, I can't remember if I had it in 4L when I tested it. Just confirming RD lock is only in 4L correct? And center lock light should remain solid when engaged yes? This will be my first Mitsui. Bright side I think I can't get it for $700. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Posted By: johnsky

Re: 98 Monty Purchase?? Tranny problem question. - 01/02/22 05:42 AM

It sounds like the transmission may be in a limp mode due to electronic control of the transmission being impaired in some way. I've had a fairly similar set of symptoms occur on my 95 sr a few times. It was an electrical cause each time in my case. A couple times it happened after doing some work on the center gauge cluster. At some point a short occurred and blew a fuse. Some of the electronic control functions for the transmission must have been on this fuse circuit. Transmission wouldn't go into overdrive. I believe I was also lacking 1st gear. The 3rd time a stick popped up between the transmission and floor pan and tore a few solenoid wires loose on the wiring harness.
Posted By: rxinhed

Re: 98 Monty Purchase?? Tranny problem question. - 01/03/22 12:01 AM

$700, beat,Montero Sport with issues might be a gamble.

Where are you located? I have a trans you may have, but it's in NorCal.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk