4x4Wire TrailTalk

Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks?

Posted By: Moshe_Buhboot

Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/07/10 09:55 AM

Hi,

I have a 2001 Sportage Wagon (The 4door longer version) - does it require a different spring or shock than a "normal" 4 door sportage (the ones with the wheel on the tailgate)

Moshe
Posted By: bombardj1

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/07/10 04:30 PM

as far as the parts catalog I has it shows no difference for stock.
Posted By: jaboo5322

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/07/10 05:04 PM

I would like to see a picture of this truck. I was not aware there were more than two versions, two door or four door.
Posted By: Axe Man

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/07/10 07:09 PM

There were 3 versions of the 1st Gen Sportage.

2 door ragtop, 4 door "shorty" with rear tire carrier, and 4 door "long". The "long" was not sold in North America. Here is an example:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/search/...p;vehicleType=3

Moshe, you would have to check with a Kia dealer to verify the shocks and springs. The Kia USA parts manual does not list that version since it was never sold here.
Posted By: 69442

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/07/10 07:56 PM

There were 3 versions of the 1st Gen Sportage. The "long" was not sold in North America.

Why not??
Posted By: Axe Man

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/07/10 08:26 PM

There were 3 versions of the 1st Gen Sportage. The "long" was not sold in North America.

Why not??

Dunno. The diesel engine was not sold in North America either.

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/07/10 08:42 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Hydra747

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/07/10 09:28 PM

I forgot that the long body has the spare underneath (like the Mitsu Montero)...and has a body like a Ford Explorer <minus the leaf springs...Of course>.

I would bet that they are different due to the weight variance between the two vehicles.

I also thought that the diesel was sold in Canada though???????

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/07/10 10:36 PM

The biggest advantage of the wagon/long is the trunk: bigger and you don't need to mess with the spare each time you want to do some shopping.

Obviously it does limit your departure of rocks smile

Two workshops I spoke with gave me different answers on wither I need different springs. Also - some manufactures have special rear springs - some don't. I think King Spring does and Lovells don't.

Moshe
Posted By: jaboo5322

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/08/10 04:12 AM

Amazing what you can learn on here. Does kinda look ford explorish.
Posted By: DennisThompson

Re: Wagon vs. 4 doors - Do I need different rear springs/shocks? - 02/14/10 07:00 PM

I don't know how many of you know this but Kia built the Ford Festiva and Aspire. The Sportage was designed with the help of Ford to be the next Bronco II after the Explorer replaced it. I am not sure why Ford decided not to use it though. I use to park mine next to a 1st gen Expedition at work and if you stand back and look the body line are allmost identical except for the short rear end. So the Explorer and Expediton are the same shape which is why it looks like a baby explorer.

Dennis
© 2020 4x4Wire TrailTalk