4x4Wire TrailTalk

Header?

Posted By: DSHornet

Header? - 05/17/06 03:03 AM

Okay, guys, I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does anybody know of a source for an exhaust header for the '95-'02 Sportages?
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Header? - 05/17/06 01:01 PM

any header that may have been mentioned is custom-made.

however, i plan to make one as soon as i get my tube bender built. not sure on price yet, especially since it will have to be either chromed or powdercoated and the flange will have to be machined (all of which will add significant amounts to the cost and, therefore, the price).
Posted By: Airdale73013

Re: Header? - 05/17/06 01:17 PM

The 1995 DOHC Sportage used a tubular header.

Re: Header? - 05/17/06 05:31 PM

sorta, well, yes, you're correct, but, it is still restrictive, to an extent. i plan to make the new one from larger diameter tube, thicker wall, thicker flange and longer tubes before the collector. haven't decided yet if it will be a tri-Y header (or 4-2-1) or not, but the collector will definitely be at least a foot past the firewall. and yes, this will require some custom work to the rest of the exhaust system, but i will also have a replacement system available for this set-up, prolly sell it all as one package.
Posted By: tlab

Re: Header? - 05/23/06 05:11 PM

sorta, well, yes, you're correct, but, it is still restrictive, to an extent. i plan to make the new one from larger diameter tube, thicker wall, thicker flange and longer tubes before the collector. haven't decided yet if it will be a tri-Y header (or 4-2-1) or not, but the collector will definitely be at least a foot past the firewall. and yes, this will require some custom work to the rest of the exhaust system, but i will also have a replacement system available for this set-up, prolly sell it all as one package.

Dave, I really hope all of this works out for you. It sounds like a great thing you've got planned. If you build it they will come. Good luck bud.
Posted By: DamKia

Re: Header? - 05/24/06 03:06 AM

The best would be a long 4 into one using tubes about the same size or + 10 to 20% cross sectional area as the original manifold diameter. The aim for better low end torque is to maintain the exhaust flow rate and this is best achieved with only minor diameter modifications and longer runners. You are aiming to reduce the resonant frequencey of the exhaust system (similar principle to the long tubes on a wind chime). The longer runners increase the mass of gasses flowing through the runners, creating a more effective scavanging effect at low revs, allowing better cylinder filling with the new charge.

The side effect of this is you reduce the peak torque, but it occurs at a lower rpm. This reduction in peak torque is also reflected in a reduction in HP at high revs.

Short pipes and 4:2:1 exhausts are optimised to suit high rev race engines (think - resonant frequency of a short runner). The runner diameter is more a function of the total mass of gases you are trying to dispose of, bigger for large capacity high rev sceamers, smaller for small capacity lower revving engines (remembering the requirement to keep the exhaust velocity up for scavenging).

There is a guy on Outerlimits4x4.com called Exhaustfix who would be able to give a few pointers...

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=69303&highlight=

Re: Header? - 05/24/06 01:47 PM

thanks for the info. i have only done minor research on it so far. this is good info.
© 2022 4x4Wire TrailTalk