4x4Wire TrailTalk

Which Tacoma to Buy? Need Help!

Posted By: brink

Which Tacoma to Buy? Need Help! - 06/01/20 09:54 PM

Hello All,
Thank you in advance for any information you can provide. I own a 97 4runner that is good for local driving. With 206k miles I don't trust it for long hauls towing a small boat from New Jersey to Vermont and back. I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 that is rusting out from under me with 100k miles. Since I am convinced Toyota is a better vehicle based on my experience with my 4runner, I am looking at getting a Tacoma to replace the Ranger.
I'd like to get a newer Tacoma in the range of 2015 to possibly a 2020. The prices freak me out, literally make me sick. Sticker shock to say the least.
My question is which year Tacoma's do I need to avoid? I recall reading reviews that some people didn't like the way the transmission shifted on certain years. Also is the 4cylinder engine powerful enough to two a small boat a few times a year, with truck packed with luggage and gear? Anyone out there have the 4 cylinder and do with it what I plan? I like the idea of saving gas when not towing. The truck would be empty and not towing 80% of the time. Or should I forget the 4 cylinder?
I see used private tacomas and for the price they ask with high mileage, it almost makes sense to buy from a dealer ( I hate the thought) in that at least they offer a warranty of some sort on used ones. And then there is new which cost a fortune, with the 4 cylinder the least cost.
Looking forward to any advice from the experts here.
Posted By: brink

Re: Which Tacoma to Buy? Need Help! - 06/05/20 01:10 PM

I'm looking at a 2014 Tacoma that has a 4.0 liter V6 compared to the newer models that all seem to have a 3.5 liter. Anyone know if there are issues with the 4.0 liter? Is the 3.5 a better motor? Do they have timing belts or chains?
Posted By: KristianJ

Re: Which Tacoma to Buy? Need Help! - 07/23/20 09:00 AM

I'm not sure about Tacomas, but my father-in-law used to own one of those, before he sold his a few years ago. I'll try giving him a call to ask about the advantages of the 4.0 liter and the 3.5?
Posted By: Justin42

Re: Which Tacoma to Buy? Need Help! - 07/27/20 06:15 PM

Hello! The V6 you're looking at is the 4.0L 1GR-FE, which is well proven it's worth. It was in the 4th gen 4runners as well from 2003-2009 and have shown they can tow and tow for miles and miles and....
I have a 4.7 V8 2005 4runner that I'm thankful for, but those with V6's aren't missing much. If you're between two motors, and wanting to tow, the 4.0 is proven tough, and there's that whole saying about no replacement for.....more cylinders?
Posted By: KristianJ

Re: Which Tacoma to Buy? Need Help! - 07/30/20 08:43 AM

Nice! Thanks for the tip, Justin! smile
© 2021 4x4Wire TrailTalk